Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Because Everyone Needs Two Mantles.

Couple nights ago,
 
the fire alarms went off at about 2 a.m.  Again.  I was out of bed in an instant. Like a ninja.  I was ready to put two kids in each arm and haul them outside to safety.
 
Jeffro checked the basement.  He fell down the stairs.  Again. (The last time he took the stairs like he wanted to ski down them was when the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night.  So, it's a pattern.)
 
 I told him later, when he wasn't pissed, that next time, I'd check the basement for fire. 
 
There is absolutely no point to this story.  I just really wanted to share it with someone.  Thanks for listening.
 
Anyhow!
 
Do you know what I want?  An old school Polaroid.  But besides, that. . .
 
Source: etsy.com via Mandi on Pinterest

I really want a rustic beam shelf. Let me 'splain.
Here was my hallway.



(Do you remember all the crap I did to my hallway?)



(Like this?)



(Or this?)



Anyway--



ze hallway looked like zees for a while.
Took down the pictures and put them here:



I'm making an effort to have the post with the most pictures and links today. I'm almost there.

So, I waited on inspiration. . . and this brings us full circle.

Source: etsy.com via Mandi on Pinterest

Ta da. I wanted a rustic beam shelf. Another mantle, people! Something to switch around and decorate to my heart's content!

So, guess what? Ya can't just, like, go to Lowe's and pick up a rustic beam. And the ones you can get online take a lot of presidential flashcards.
And in my supreme impatience, and the fact that I wanted this beam-shelf-mantle thingy, now now NOW, I turned to the easy way.



(psst: this cedar beam is left over from the swings.)



(Another linky/picture. I win.)

Gave it my normal staining of Dark Walnut and shellacked the heck out of it,



and then I wanted to cuss and punch someone while I tried to hold this beam up and get it into the wall all by myself.   Ya probably can't tell, but this is nearly 5 feet long.



(just in case you wanna know how I put in this floating beam: I countersunk 4" screws way, waaaay into the cedar, and into the studs in the wall. Just in case you wanted to know. You probably didn't, but you know, just in case.)

And then? I had no idea what to put on this shelf of mine. Zero. Nada.
I feel like, for once in my life, I'm at a loss for words.

 

But, OH! The possibilities!! The endless opportunities to switch around little tchotchkes!  And the potential to sit my butt on this beam and play hall monitor to my kids every night at bedtime! ("Do you have a hallpass?")

9 comments:

WhettenWild said...

Jeff really needs to stop falling down the stairs. LOL. Poor guy. why does your alarm keep going off????

Janice said...

The beginning of this post made me laugh out loud.

And is it bad that when you mentioned sitting on the beam during bedtime that I pictured myself making my kids run some sort of gauntlet while I kicked my feet wildly if they "needed" to pee AGAIN after they were in bed?

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

Ooo looks good Mandi! And I love all the pictures, so you totally win :P Question for ya - seeing as you move stuff around your house so much, what do you do about the holes left in the walls? I've just finished painting out my house and I'm too scared to put anything on the walls in case I change my mind and then have to sand and bog and paint all over again *shudder*. Do to bother or just cover old holes with new crap?

Jennifer Whitlock said...

I envy your ambition. And the results. Looks fab!!

Tif said...

Looks very cool! Great job! Found you thru Covered in Grace! Happy New Follower!

Tif
Ramblings of a Southern Belle
http://www.her-southern-ramblings.blogspot.com

Rebecca D said...

I showed this to my husband and told him I want one... Because even though I know my way around a compound miter saw (in fact the "good one" is mine) with everything else we have going on right now, he is the designated handy-man... He wants me to ask you two things... First of all, how wide is your hall and secondly, how deep is your shelf? Seem like a couple personal questions, (hehehehe... I'm sorry... I work with teenagers... I'll never grow up!) but I told him I'd ask!

debbi said...

I love your wall of photos! Great way to display them and you can be constantly changing them out! I totally want to do the same thing in my house! Can you tell me what did you use for your shelf? Did you put the wood pieces together yourself? If so, do you mind sharing some of the details?
Thanks!
P.S. Love your blog!

Cindy said...

Love the shelves and gallery wall! I linked your post in my blog! Well done! Your projects are all so wonderful! I'm happy to follow! I hope you get a chance to check out my post and blog! www.renounednest.com