Friday, October 21, 2011

Let's Talk About Ze Hallway.

Yes, lets.

'Cause I want to give you the the low-down. The 411.

First I want you to know, that you can judge me all you want. Because I use plywood when I do my wainscoting.

Yep. $11, cheap-o, quarter inch, ply.

I believe everyone should keep a sheet of ply around for just such emergencies.

Aaaah, the freshly cut smell of ply.

So, what am I telling you? I'm telling you that the cost of my hallway molding was a total of $11. And I need my projects to be that cheap when I've got a list like I do. I'm not made of money, here!

Second, I want you to know about ze doors.

So very simple. Caulk between your existing molding and your new so it looks more seamless. Spill caulk onto your carpet. Swear. Run out of caulk before you finish all 5 doors. Swear.

It's just that simple.

Okay, okay. So those backcut pieces on the sides are a bit annoying. But that's what spackle's for when they don't exactly meet up, okey dokey?

And I would like to take this moment to say, that I love the new molding over my boudoir's french doors.

"#2" is the first number we start with in this here hall. Why? 'Cause they (as in the Hob Lob) didn't have a #1, and I'm waaaaay too impatient to wait for a #1 to come in.

Plus you know how they tell you that "everything we have is out blah blah blah." And that annoys the crap out of me.


Third. Or fourth. I don't even know what number we're on anymore? The mirrors.

The large one I bought. The rest, I made. I don't want to talk about those mirrors, because I like them, but they're kind of Monet's. They look great from afar, but up close, they're a real mess.

And that's all I have to say about that.

And finally,

I love my hallway. But take a tip from me, when you blame the bathroom pocket door and it's being "jammed" on your boys, maybe you ought to use the ole noggin', and realize that when you put molding onto that same wall with 2 INCH NAILS, That door's not gonna budge.

Sunuva.

Home Stories A2Z

26 comments:

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts said...

awesome on the pocket door :)

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

hilarious about the pocket door. I'd have blamed my kids till the cows came home. Then once I realized what I'd done, I'd have blamed them for distracting me while nailing...

Dharma said...

...as in the post above....still their fault ;)

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Plywood - you are a genius. Seriously, because I just spent my youngest child's college education fund on trim at Lowes. Have to remember that one for next time! Too funny about the pocket door!!!

Kristel T.M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristel T.M. said...

I should finish my coffee before posting comments!

Love your new hallway! Plywood is genius and I never would have guessed if you hadn't posted.

I laughed about the pocket door. My husband put towel rack screws into ours and he thought I got mad and broke the door. Took a few days to figure it out. I couldn't laugh at that moment, but I can now. At least you know you aren't the only one out there that does things like that!

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

bahahaha! awesomeness, as usual your craptastic projects are not only entertaining, but gorgeous, even if they are Monet's. {Love that movie!!!}

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

we should live by each other.just saying.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

Do your walls have texture? What does it cost to do your doors like that? Have you shown us how to trim the doors before? Greatness! If you leave the nails in the pocket door, you won't have to worry about who jammed it next time, tee hee!:)

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Oh gosh. Did you feel bad for blaming the boys? What will you do about the door?

debisblog said...

I've got a kid I wouldn't mind leaving IN the bathroom and THEN use those 2 inch nails... hmmmm... and those who are in the know??? Yup, they'd still blame the kid! :-D

Shirley said...

You know you just gave us hopelessly unskilled folks permission to use nails, right? Cause that is just too stinkin' funny! And so completely something I would do!

Kerri said...

Your hallway looks great...and plywood, who knew?! I need to show this to my husband!

Rach said...

This is hilarious. Thanks for keeping it real...always!

Karen said...

Girl, That is funny stuff! I think we may possibly share a brain. Soooo glad to hear I am not the only one this stuff happens to!

T Byrd said...

this is gorgeous! I love it!

Emily said...

I love your hallway! It is just amazing!!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

I LOVE how you did the panneling with the 1/4 inch plywood, that is so genius! I want to do this in our upstairs bedrooms, but I was worried about how much all the wood would cost. Not anymore! I am going to copy you because this is brilliant.

I love too that you nailed your door into the wall. That's totally something I would do.

Stephanie said...

I think you've just made it possible for me to tackle my hallway this winter...thank you for the inspiration!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

So excited to hear that I am the winner of your giveaway. I have sent you an email.

Sarah said...

Wow this is amazing! I have a very similar hallway that I hate. SOOO BORING. I'm going to do this! YAY!

Teri said...

LOL Who needs a closing bathroom door, anyway? ;)

Shannon Gordon said...

Your walls look great! We found you on pinterest & thought something like this would be wonderful by our front door for hanging coats & such. We were wondering if you could give us some insite on the width you cut your plywood to, to make the strip pieces....we are having some issues deciding how wide is too wide, how narrow is too narrow...we were hoping you could help out with that since these look rather perfect...
thanks!

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Hi Shannon! I can't seem to find a personal email to send you any info-- I'm sorry. I tried. :(

I always use 3 inch wide strips when I do that "wainscoting". I think that's a good width for me. I hope this helps!

Shanna said...

found you on pinterest! love love love your wainscoting. what did you use to cut your plywood? we would love to do this in our babies room! just looking for a bit more insight into how it was done. its brilliant!

shanna_russell@hotmail.com

thanks!

Alicia Knox said...

How far is the distance in the "squares" ? I know you said 3' pieces around.