Monday, August 13, 2012

The World is a Playground, & Life is Pushing My Swing.

Does anyone even remember that I was putting in swings?


Probably not, since it took me two weeks to talk about 'em. Well, I'm happy, and my children are happy, to report that they are done, man.



Can we talk about them? Just in case you wanna do a Pergola Swing yourself?



That's what I call them: "Pergola Swing". It's hard to describe otherwise.

Let's get down to business.

Let's say you were gonna do these exactly like mine. Here's what you need.
3 --4x6 treated fir, @ 8 feet long
2 -- absolutely luscious pieces of cedar: 1x10 @ 10 feet long
1 --not as luscious but still great smelling: 4x4 @ 6 feet long



(luscious cedar for the pergola part)
That's all for the lumber department, folks.

So possibly you remember the bare bones of this project, as seen here:



Allow me to refresh your memory. Dug down 2 feet, used a 60 lbs. bag of concrete for each hole. Remember me whining about digging? Is your memory refreshed?

The hardware used for the posts are 3/4" carriage bolts.

Who's bored? Raise your hand.

Now, this ain't purty,



but I used these suckers to clamp the ropes on top and bottom. Covered 'em in duct tape so they don't scratch anyone.



I know I know-- some idiot just had to have rope swings so they looked all "old-school".
("'Old school', great. What's that, like, code for something?")
So instead of going the simple chain route, we've got heavy duty clamps and duct tape, for crying out loud.

Don't you judge me.  Just trust me-- I looked into a heckuvalot of options.

Swing seats are a piece of trex.  No painting- very strong-- and no one gets any slivers in the arse.  Just measured my own A with a tape measurer and cut to that size.

No you may NOT know how long those are.  Measure your own A.
(And then report back to me. I'm just curious.)



So I totally love the cedar/pergola pieces.

 

I poly'd (is that a word? It is now. "Poly'd".) the crap out of those pieces. I don't want them fading. And here it is in all it's glory:



Ta Da.

Don't feel sorry for my daughter.



She randomly places bandaids all over her body on a daily basis.
And me?



Yeah, I've swung on these. ("Swung"? "Swang"? "Swinged?" "Swizzled?") And I keep finding myself wanting to start in on, "Stranded at the drive-in. . . branded a fool. . .what will they say. . . Monday at school. . ."
Classic.

13 comments:

Lori said...

My little one love to swing. I never got tired of hearing "wing me mommy, wing me". Now grands are coming in October, so I have about two years to get a wing contstructed. Ours will be hanging from a tree though.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It looks great, Mandi! Good job! You've created another wonderful memory for your kids. : )

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

That is so much prettier than a metal swingset - I love the curve of the top. You totally rock my world with your projects, just for the record!

Suesan said...

What a great job you did! I'm sure your people are having a wonderful time. Did you consider splicing the rope into itself? Maybe it wouldn't be strong enough, but if your boys helped you do it, they could pass of a scout requirement. :D That's got to count for something, right?

Emily said...

Oh my gosh. That turned out awesome! Oh and dont mind me if you come home and you find me swinging.

Kassi Mortensen said...

I want this at my house!!! SO neat!

Jen said...

That.is.b-e-a-utiful!!!!!! I LOVE it! Did I tell you about Miester's latest project? I probably did, but just in case I didn't.....I have a 12 ft. "Sky Deck" in the middle of my backyard! That's what they're calling it. Yea, stargazing isn't good enough on the ground, they dreamed up the idea of the Sky Deck whilst satrgazing and dad was SOLD! He says he's gonna do a swing set off to the side as well and maybe even make a bridge across the top of the swings to a second, smaller deck, but I'll believe that when I see it. He's ADD, so NOTHING around here is ever 100% finished. UGH. I want a pretty pergola swing like yours 'cause I'm too chicken to climb up to that 12 foot Sky Deck. My brain tells me I'm falling and then I get nauseous. :/

SueAnn Lommler said...

Well it is beautiful!! Love it and the kids look so unhappy with it!! Ha!!
Hugs
SUeAnn

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Ooooh wow, this is awesome. I remember when they started removing swings from school playgrounds because they were too "dangerous", fun suckers. Don't be surprised if one night you look outside and see me swinging on it blissfully. I'll be the really pregnant lady.

Rebecca D said...

These turned ot AMAZING... I love that they are so classic looking!

runnermommyto2 said...

Seriously, your writing friggin' KILLS me. Dang near SLAYS me. I think if I lived near you we'd be besties.

Thanks for making me belly laugh. Like all.day.long.

Kris said...

We like this plan but need some clarification. Your drawing shows two 10ft fir pieces for the uprights but your materials list shows two 8ft firs pieces for the uprights. What did you use and why?

Erin Nugent said...

This is gorgeous! Could it be safely adapted for three swings and do you think it's safe for bigger children? I'd like to build it for my small children but I'd also like to know whether I can let older children use it or I should shoo them away. Thanks!