Friday, January 27, 2012

It's a Tardis.

I kidd. It's not a tardis. But that's an awesome idea.

(What's a tardis?) This is a tardis.

(What's she talking about?) I have no idea.

A couple people guessed I was building a tardis for my "MovieCase" that I had to be all secret-y about. Remember? My "MovieCase" that has taken me a decade to finish because I just had to stain and poly it and each coat took a decade to dry, dangit?

And clearly we need another evening-out coat here. . .

I wanna tell you that it's done. Ish. My 6,983 coat of poly still has to dry. Apparently I want to be able to see my reflection in the wood before I'm done with my coats.

Um, can we talk about this some more? Later? When I get it in it's final resting spot? When it's not tacky to the touch, like, after, say a decade?

But I digress.

I'm kinda nervous now. You guys thought I was cool enough to build a tardis? I'm not that cool. Maybe you'll be like, all disappointed 'n stuff. Crap.

Crap.

Okay. I'm gonna show you anyway. I wanted it to match the hubs' double desk, since it's going in that area. I wanted it to be vintage. Classic. Whew. Deep breath. Here we go.

Here's my source of inspiration:

Yes, friends. I wanted an old-school movie ticket booth.

I got myself a sheet of 1/2'' ply, cut it to size, and then I started marking. Planning.

Laying stuff out.

I realize that's not straight. 'S okay. I fixed it when it counted. TONS! of dark walnut stain, GALLONS! of polyurethane, some plexiglass, curtains, trim, gold glaze, vinyl (THANK YOU RACHAEL!), and I got 'er done.

Do ya wanna see how it turned out?

Nighttime shot.

Early morning light.

Ta Da. Show ya when it's all filled up with movies.

29 comments:

Lisa Scibilia said...

It's genius!! And to think you thunk this would be disappointing? What will you think of next?

Sarakenobi said...

I knew it wouldn't be the TARDIS but I LOVE this so much I can barely stand it :) you did an amazing job!

FWIW *I* have a TARDIS :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45011248@N00/6468292249/

DressUpNotDown said...

Oh it's so pretty, I can't believe I'm about to say this...it's better than if you would've done a Tardis.

cehendricks said...

I like that so much better than a Tardis. That is genius for holding movies! Good work woman.

Emily said...

That is just awesome!!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

You are too cool and talented. I am amazed.

Elizabeth said...

Awesome..love it!!!

Udygirl said...

You are sooo good at stuff!

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

WHAT!?!?! I am going to start calling you Bobette Villa. I LOVE it Tremayne. Seriously amazing.

Kelly Biggs at My Dear Trash said...

So NOT disappointed- Incredible idea and such great execution. As a past drama teacher and set builder I'm truly impressed with your creativity and skills. Love your blog!

Jen said...

OK, that is just AWESOME. Aaaaawesome!

WhettenWild said...

That is like the coolest movie holder thingy I've ever seen. Can't you just start making 2 of everything.......one for me.....one for you........one for me.....one for you.....

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Holy Crap!!! This is awesome!!! Gosh you're so darn clever! Now I want one...

S. Anderson said...

I will admit that I am a little intimidate by your amazing creativity! This is super cool!

Kelly said...

That is so cool! I'm so glad I follow your blog

Rach said...

I literally gasped....it's that good.

Dee said...

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE! So gorgeous.

Katie Johnson said...

I have to say, I totally thought you were going to turn it into a Tardis! It's always nice to meet another Whovian. However, I may have to steal that idea for myself ;) But the ticket booth is awesome!! Well done :)

Anonymous said...

love it. Can't wait to see it!

mapleandmagnolia.com said...

OFF. THE. HOOK!!!!!!!! :)

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

I'm actually glad it's not a TARDIS. I'm trying to jump on the Dr. Who bandwagon, since some of my favorite bloggers, that I have similar interests with, love the show. But I'm struggling. I've watched three or four with my Dear, and it's just sort of meh for us. Please, please, please tell me it gets better.

RachelK said...

That's amazing!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

Can I kidnap you? What if I leave the fridge stocked and arrange carpool for the kids? Your brain and never ending energy, what I wouldn't give for it! I feel like saying some stupid line from a movie like THAT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME DUDE!

Pressed Petals said...

holy cow! you really need to go into business! and following up on the question you asked on my blog, yes, everyone is from our church, all but one girl.

louly said...

I'm impressed!

Daddy-O said...

Mandi,
It's fantastic! Now I need one! How the heck am I going to fit this in with all the projects we already have going! It really is amazing! Amazing!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

I can't remember if I commented on this or not because I get your blog fed into my work email (sneaky sneaky!!!) but it only lets me read the article, not make any comments. Anyway, Mandi, this, in my humble opinion, is the COOLEST THING YOU HAVE EVER MADE!!! And dish, where did you get the gold letters for the front?! And please don't say Hobby Lobby or I'm getting in my car and driving the the nearest one, which I believe is 5 hours away. Also how did you attach the glass? Deets girl deets!

Lisa Tibbs said...

Beautiful!

Jen Carter said...

It shoulda been a TARDIS you punk!! teehee..hee...hee Naw, it turned out awesome!