Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Living In Denial.

You might already know this about me, but it's worth repeating: I hate snow. I hate cold. I hate dark.

So, I pretty much have a hard time every January. I'm kind of living in denial, actually.

And on that note,
I decided to skip waaaaay ahead and do a spring project. It soothes my soul.

So, we're like, bonafide farmers now 'n everything, remember?

I decided that this year I would love to get my own heirloom seeds and start everything from seed. No $50 trip to the nursery for plants for me.

Hopefully. Maybe. One can dream, okay?

I'd love love! to have a cute potting bench like some of you awesomes, but that's not really a possibility here when it still snows/freezes clear into May.

So! Unlike the Daddy-o, who has his own south-facing greenhouse all set up, I've got one window that is south-facing. ONE. A house with a thousand windows, and one window will work for me.

Wanna know where it is?

Right up there. In my master bath.

Sigh. I wasn't going to let that stop me. I had to figure out a way to utilize that window. . .somehow. . .

I've got it. Shelves. Shelves in the windowsill that will still make it possible for the blinds to close over them. 'Cause no one needs a peep show through my bathroom window all spring, ifyaknowwhatI'msayin'. Hehehehe. Heh. Heh.

No, seriously. Scary.


And so I got to work. It's so beautiful. Said no one ever.


Personal reminder: be aware of where you hands are at all times.

If the dryness of my hands is all you see, be advised that they've been that way since I grouted my kitchen backsplash. But I'm talking about the injury. Drilled my hand. Got crap from the hubs. He's all, "First you put a nail through your hand and now you drilled it?"

No, duh. I've drilled my hand a half-dozen times, so there. Oh. Wait.

The real embarrassing part of this is that I injured myself during such a wimpy project. Injuries should only be for massive projects. Am I right?

But I digress.


Wasn't even gonna paint this thing-- you know I hate to paint and no one's gonna see it.

And then I changed my mind and decided to paint it a happy color. Because in our world, we can do whatever we want. And since I'm quoting Bob Ross today. .. "let's get crazy with the paint brush."

Kids are so proud. Do you know I get guff for painting everything white in our house? If they had it their way, it'd be a circus all up in here.

And here we are. Waaaay ahead of schedule. Fits inside the windowsill, can be screwed into the studs surrounding the window for stability--

And I can water them while I take a bath.

Sorry for the visual. Scrub your brain.

21 comments:

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

That's fun. I'm officially jealous.

I have the same problem as you. I have a million windows except on our south-facing wall. That wall has none. Nada. Just brick wall overgrown with vines. And not in a good way. :(

Nicki Rocky said...

What a fantastic idea, and it looks sooo cute. How about frosting the glass somehow so the room and plants get light all the time but no free peep show for the neighbours? And hey, Denial is a just a river in Egypt!

Dharma said...

Dharma *scrubs her brain* as advised.... love the little pots and the blue is happy happy. Whenever I ask my son what colour to paint anything, he responds "RAINBOW!". So cue the circus music here too.

Berry Family said...

Thanks for making me laugh today! I loved the Bob Ross comments. The inside greenhouse is great too!

Bethany said...

Uh, I want one!!!!

WhettenWild said...

I need to get you some of those tomato seeds from Conal's mom. I hear they are the best tomatoes around.........but I wouldn't know because I don't eat fresh tomatoes. I like your shelf. That is super nifty.

Shirley said...

Ok, I'm not ready to go the whole, "heirloom seed" thing, but I could definitely love this for starting an herb garden from seed. You've got my mind a'whirlin' girl!

Kerrye said...

Only 1 south-facing window in this "glass house" too. What's up with that?!? Mine is also above the masterbath tub, but mine is small and cut-glass. Dang. I want to start seedlings too...

Maureen said...

Mandi,

Hope your hand gets better soon. I want to remodel so that we can garden too. I have little windows with no sills and seeds require light. Good luck and no I didn't think you would be "personally" watering the seedlings.

Maureen

SueAnn said...

Let me start with saying that we are kindred souls. I hate snow! I hate cold and dark as well. I turn on all the lights and still it isn't bright enough!! Sigh!
Oh well!!
As for your build...terrific!! I love it...blue and all!
Sorry about your hand.
Hugs
SueAnn

Jen said...

That is so awesome! What a great solution to your one window dilemma. =) I have a TON of windows on the south, but have never even thought of doing something like this. I'm just not good at originality with my ideas. I'm just a great copy cat. ;)

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Ya gotta post pics of the kids bathing while veggies grow above their heads. It'll be great. Did you ever see the Seinfeld episode where Cramer or is it Kramer? anyway he washed his salad in the shower while he showered. He added a garbage disposal to the drain too if I remember correctly! :) How come the plants have to be on a south window. I guess I could google it, but I am feeling too lazy. I like the blue, but sorry your hand hurts and is dry.

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

Great photos :) Looks like a lot of fun projects! Happy I found your blog today! You have a talent with photography!

Aarika said...

Love this! That is all...
You have motivated me to not be such a WANNY with the power tools and learn how to make my own awesomeness!
Love your blog!

Pressed Petals said...

ouch! i love the pots though! the blue too.

Emily said...

I love the blue! That is definitely a happy color.

Lisa Scibilia said...

A great idea to fight the winter doldrums! Love the color you painted it too. So cheerful and blue sky, butterflies, summery!

Ann Marie Heasley said...

YAY! Come build me one! That is the coolest window shelf, I love how it fits perfectly into the window and looks like it has always been there. Might have to bug Doug and see if he'll help make me one. We didn't start our seeds before planting them and they took a bit longer to sprout, our tomatoes came right before the frost! Lemme know if you need a good source for seeds, aw heck, I'll just spam you with it right now: http://rareseeds.com. Great selection, great prices, low shipping, fast service. Love 'em.

The blue is great, I was contemplating a bench makeover and was thinking about how tired I am of white, black, or stained in my house. We're so blah...

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Girl, you are so lucky your bathroom has those giant gorgeous windows. We don't have a master bathroom, but the full bath we have has none :( This potted plant idea is brilliant, and if I were you, I would feel like I'm bathing in a tropical paradise, like on Lion King when they're in the jungle or something. Then I'd be singing "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" non stop.

mama walker said...

i did the screwdriver into hand thing recently too. OUCH!!!!!

Jen Carter said...

Yay for circus colors,happy little seeds,coolio shelving solutions and boo to hand drilling. Guuurl, coulda been an eyeball. Well, if you were dancing with the drill while engagng the power, or some such nonsense, it coulda been an eyeball.