Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Do This, Not That.

This.

The vanity table. Not the hair. Do this. Really, you'll love it. One of the best things I've done. Honest.

This. Do this.

Also one of the best things I've ever done. And puh-lease don't mention how my spoon and "EAT" are off-center. AGAIN. I might go postal.

I want you to know, that my sista from anothuh motha, Kimbo, envisioned this, before I showed the "done" pic:

Hehehehehehe. Isn't it purty-like, Cletus??

Seriously, though--


I love having my most used spices at my finger tips. (And the spice jars are from the Hob Lob. I just wanted to get that out there.)

This. Don't do this.

And that's all I have to say about that.

This. Don't do this.

Wait. WAIT. Go ahead and do this. Just don't do it in the DIRTIEST PART OF YOUR HOUSE WHERE MUCK AND JUNK AND SAWDUST GETS TRACKED IN EVERY FIVE SECONDS.

'Cause ya know what? Despite my mediocre efforts,

It looked like this. I'm keeping it real. Just keepin' it real.

Already tole ya the hubs hated that floor. And this is where he said something about me not listening to him or something. I don't know--I wasn't really paying attention.

But you know what's intrigued me for a while?
black floors.

(source)

There's just something, so. . . je ne sais quoi about them, no?


(source)


Actually asked the hubs this time for his opinion, and he agreed.

And what he didn't know, was when I asked, I was starting on it, like 5 minutes later. I meant biz-nis.

This is where I decided I loved it.

And then, promptly 5 seconds later freaked out and wondered why I'd taken such a drastic step.

But ya know what? It just needs to be black. A super, high-gloss black.

'Cause we are dirty, dirty people.

Just ask the neighbor kid.

And this is where my daughter tries on everyone's shoes. And then hides them.

I'm still keepin' it real here-- every single step of sawdust foot shows.

But I figure I'll just sweep more than my usual twice a month. Or year. Whatever.

17 comments:

Michãel said...

I'm a mom of two in Montana. I can't remember how I stumbled onto your blog, but I am so glad I did. Thank you for the laughs and for keeping it real and for making me not feel so bad about my floors. Let the neighbor kids IN? Are you kidding me? Isn't that what yards are for? Anyhoo, love the black floors. I'll go back to lurking now.

Aunna said...

I painted ALL the floors in my last house white. I loved it the first day. Then it was the bane of my existence. White floors + sticky kids + dog + husband who refuses to remove his shoes = a basketcase wielding a mop. By the way, I get super excited when you have a new post. I get the giggles just look at your header.

Aunna

Emily said...

I liked the white, but I agree it would be hard to keep up with. I like the black though too. It looks cool!

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts said...

um, your window is on my to-do, I'm not sure you can talk me out of it!

Pressed Petals said...

i LOOOOOVVVVVVVE the black! wowzers! hmmmmmm...can you paint linoleum (sp?) seriously. i'd love to do this in our kitchen...our dirtiest part of the house.

Joshua and Cameron said...

I love LOVE the spice holder. If I ever get to build the house I want I'm totally making my husband put this in. And the black floor. Love LOVE also!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

You know I like any Mandi project. Black floors look good. I use to have an off white tile in the kitchen and it looked horrible all the time. I replaced it with multi dirt colored tile. Looks great even when they are dirty which is most of the time. I work, have 2 dogs, one boy and hate mopping.... You really need to check out what my blogging friend Michelle at Emerald Cove is doing to her floors. You are gonna love it.

COTTAG3 said...

That built in spice jar thing is one of your all time best projects. I love looking at it.

Those black floors are awesome!!!!! I love that. Ours are dark, dark brown but I like that black. Have you changed your toilet seat out yet for a black one? They are awesome too.

calikas said...

haha youre too funny.

I love it! it looks great.

Suesan said...

Erma Bombeck said there's only two kinds of dirt. The dark kind that shows up on all the light stuff, and the light kind that shows up all all the dark stuff!

I love the black and how it anchors the space. I'm thinking of painting the inside of my new door shiny black. I have to repaint the living room and it's going to be aqua.

Shirley said...

Ok, as I was reading, I was thinking, "don't do the black, no, don't" then I saw it! :) Cause my mil changed her countertops to black, and we spent the next 8 years hating them, cause you saw all the crumbs!! But hey, it's a floor, and in real houses, floors have dust, and mud, and dog bunnies....
I also have a friend with a black toilet & sink,and the big word is~don't. Cause black sinks and white toothpaste are just knarly. Love your real life episodes, girl. And I so want a spice rack!

Renee said...

I really liked the white...but I like this too!! I wish I have your bravery in my still-all-white-walls home!

Renee said...

*had

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I love your honesty!!! And I wonder if you hit that shiny black floor with some sand paper if the dirty look will be less noticeable??? Third time could be a winner!

WhettenWild said...

LOVE the floor. Love it. So awesome. Oh, by the way, are you aware that your "EAT" sign isn't centered correctly???? JUST KIDDING

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love the high-gloss black! At least it hides the dirt that gets ground into the grain of the white painted floor, right? I painted the stairs from our garage into the house the color of dirt and I'll tell ya, I'm not sure I'll ever clean them again!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Oh the black floors look fab! I should do something like this for my mud room. I'm just not quite sure how I would secure the wood to the concrete floor.