Friday, October 7, 2011

Cooking With Betty. 60's Style.

Yes friends--

it's time to cook with Betty, again.

Did you miss the first installment of the terrible 60's culinary creations?

'Cause we made Petal's 'N Pickles, and it was awesome.

But a little bit more about this book--


It's so full of clean, old-fashioned fun. I really do believe next time's session should be an aspic. ("An 'as'-what?")

Aw, heck,

maybe it'll be this tangy tomato aspic. Ew, wait. I'm adding lemon gelatin to this tomato aspic?


HOLD THE PHONE.

Forget the aspic. Look to the left. Farther, farther. . .

Do you see what I see? Does that say "LEMON BLUE-CHEESE ICE"??? Is this some sort of sick joke??

Tole ya. Good, old-fashioned fun.

Take the culinary age of party sandwiches, for instance. Aaahh, those were fun.

Wait a minute-- what the he#@? Are you. . . are you frosting my party sandwich?

And, ya know. . .

I like fish okay. I love the beach. I love a nautical look. But, does your food taste gritty? My food tastes gritty. Does your food taste gritty?

But I digress.

So, Suzanne suggested that "Worms Writhing In Sand" be the next culinary creation.
Suzanne,

I couldn't agree more.

So? Is this a delicious dessert for birds?

Imagine my surpreese to find that this recipe was a simple cake, with meringue frosting.


Cake. Meringue. Cake and meringue? Huh. Hmm. . .I don't know, man.

it's nuts on top that give it that real "sand-y" look.

You know what? I thought this was gonna be sick. Maybe like, what you would imagine pouring plain corn syrup over a cake would taste like.

In short, I thought it would be putrid.

To my everlasting awe, it smelled heavenly. It tasted pretty decent, too.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed.

13 comments:

Patricia said...

The recipe for fudge sauce in that cookbook is simple and incredibly delicious.

Emily said...

I love that cookbook! That is awesome that you are making these recipes! How fun!

Leca Unplugged said...

Dude ditch the book (OK keep it for entertainment purposes) and get with P-dubs! She has the most amazing brownie recipe EVER!!! Check her out at thepioneerwoman.com You won't be sorry.

PS no one tells a tale better than you. So funny.

Jennifer said...

We have a kids' cookbook from the 60s that someone gave us. It's just pure awesome.

WhettenWild said...

Wow, that aspic sounds scrumdiddlyumptious. I had no idea that that cookbook had so many "fun" recipes in it. Guess I didn't pay enough attention. LOL

Layne Bushell said...

I am so sorry you were so disappointed ;) But now I think you have to do the tomato aspic. That sounds disgusting. Completely disgusting. Maybe you won't be disappointed after making that. Happy Friday to you!

Shirley said...

Oh, you are such a cheap therapist! Thanks for the giggles. I'm very glad life has moved beyond aspic. Really, really, glad.
Now I'm heading over to check out the pioneer woman.

Jenny said...

My mother has that exact cookbook!! But she only uses it for the pie recipes- thank goodness. I had no idea such strange things were hidden between its covers- I must look through it next time I visit her :)

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

You crack me up! I want you to know I got one of those as a wedding gift! And no not as a gag recently, like back when that was popular. And kid if you wish but it's my go to book, that and Paula's. Try the quiche or the banana bread, simply de-lish!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Well, now I know! Thank you! My mind is at peace now. From the book, I imagined it would be scalloped onions covered in graham cracker crumbs! Cause that's what it looked like.

I'm glad it was worth the bother, Mandi!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Now there are two words I look for in my recipes. Worms and writhing.
Looks pretty tasty though. I guess one must now judge a recipe by it's name. One being me.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

I think I use that book's recipe for when I make sugar cookies and the frosting.

Or I could completely be lying.

518Interiors said...

I can't believe you take the time to make these crazy things. Funny!