Monday, April 15, 2013

So Little Time, So Few Walls Left To Mould.

So--
where were we in "Project Cover House With Moulding"?  Ahhh, yes.  The music room.  Recall that we went from this,


to this.
  

And I pronounced the work good.  Ish.

I knew the other wall needed this same box treatment, and this week was the week to get all up on this.
I've had meeeelions of people ask me about using plywood for moulding projects this week (translation: millions=3 people),
so let's discuss shall we?  Yes, let's.  My favorite plywood is what has made this,


and this,


and this (and a thousand other projects)


possible.  It's so versatile.  And most importantly, so cheap. (FYI: when I do this type of board and batten, the distance between the slats is typically around 16-18"-- it's whatever begins and ends correctly for the wall I'm working on.  But you can do whatever you want.  I've seen super wide distances-- I've seen closer together.  There's no rule, here.)
Get yourself a sheet of 1/4" plywood.  I typically have the dudes at Lowe's cut it down the middle length-wise so as to fit it into my mommy van easier.
This costs $13.  If you buy the top pieces on the pile that are kind of messed up and wavy-like, you can get those on a huge discount-- like $5 or $6, and then hello $6 project.  I've done it before and once it's cut up and nailed to the wall, you'll never remember that it was warped.  Pinky swear.

So I take my pieces home, and I rip them on the table saw to 3" pieces.


And now, the world is your oyster.  Get crazy with the stuff.  It's the same thickness as your baseboards, so you don't have to deal with it sticking out at all.  Isn't this fabulous?

Anyhow,

back to the music room.  We were here.


And I want the other wall to have the same treatment.  A friend suggested I paint first, cover with plywood second, just to see which is easier.  So I went ahead and tried that this time around.


Survey says?  Yeah, I think it was a little easier to paint first.

And speaking of paint!  I had an epiphany last week!!

I realized that my wall color is thee exact color of a Wendy's Frosty.


Exact.  My walls are delicious.  I shall now refer to my wall color as Wendy's Frosty.  I picked up a frosty just to make sure I was right. You know, for scientific purposes. And yes, this picture sucks.  It was late and dark, and that frosty wasn't going to take care of itself.

I don't even know what that means.

So I got to work.


Someone had a question about this "box" treatment--


regard that I keep the vertical pieces long, and it's the horizontal pieces that are the short ones.  The distance between boxes is totally dependent on the length of your wall and what size of grid you want.  Once you decide how many boxes, use an online inches calculator to divide so you can have an exact distance.  I highly recommend using a laser level if you've got one.  I didn't, but I should have.  I drew it all out on the wall with my 4' level before I started nailing, and that makes a huge difference to keep all your horizontal pieces straight.  Ish. ish-ish. . .

And. . . we are done here.  Mostly because I completely ran out of white paint.


Yes-- I have floating crown up there from the music room shelves.  It will all come together soon in a nice little package.  Trust.


Oh yeeeah-- I am TOTALLY getting all up on phase 3 of Project "Entryway Beam" this week.  Let the plywood ripping continue.

9 comments:

Samantha said...

What kind of paint do you use? Is it a gloss?

Samantha said...

P.s. now it's billions if it's 4 people asking, right?

Dee said...

This is looking so fantastic!

-Lisa said...

Looks yummy!!! I love it!
Fondly-Lisa

Emily said...

Looks amazing! I would LOVE to do this all over my house, but we have textured walls here in Las Vegas. Boo. :(

Cathie said...

Tell me about the purplish nursery color!

Julie said...

Your the best!!! Thank You sooooooo much for the info. It is a huge help for beginners like myself with a 5 dollar budget ;)

Jami said...

You have inspired me and I'm working on one of these walls...slowly... How in the world do you work so fast? wow! By the way, my Lowes told me I was insane and that there is no way they can cut plywood that small (3-4" wide) so I have to buy the "craft wood" or lattice, which costs more. :( Luckily, it's a small wall, but it made me mad because I am really just practicing so I can do the stairs next! :)

Christy Burrington said...

Can you tell me the name of the paint color? I LOVE IT!