Thursday, April 18, 2013

The One Where I Talk Too Much About Money & Show No Pictures How Boring.

Crap I've Learned From Cutting Myself Off From Money.
 
1.  It's amazing how much materials are still in the garage, making it possible for me to continue working and moulding, and rarely having to head to Lowe's.  Pathetic.
 
2.  No matter how much money I want to save, I'm not going to "save" on other people.  In other words, I'm not cutting back on charitable donations, or suddenly giving people crap (or nothing) for their birthdays.  Allow me to put it this way: know the person who comes to the family party, and brings a half dozen rolls for 3 dozen people and doesn't bat an eyelash when they're gone in an instant (I'm convinced everyone knows someone like this)? 
 
That person is cheap.  You can be cheap with yourself.  That's called being frugal.  Being cheap with other people?  You're cheap.
 
3.  Know the term "nickel and dime to death"?  I was doing this to our family, 'cept I was $40 and $50 and $60 ing us to death.  I still walk around my house, looking at things I hhaaad to have, or that wall art I don't even care for anymore, or that $30 pillow (hello why do pillows cost $30??), and I'm shocked.  Awed.  It wasn't any one thing-- it was all of it that I was doing on a daily basis.
 
4.  I never have cash on hand.  But now that I try and not spend like a crazed lunatic, I had two twenties in my purse for months.  THIS NEVER HAPPENS, PEOPLE.  It's like we're in some sort of alternate universe!
 
5.  There is no limit to how many excuses and justifications I could make towards buying crap I don't need.  ("Oh, well that doesn't count. . .".  Actually, it does.)
 
6.  And speaking of  #5, I've heard that if you stop eating sweets, you eventually stop craving them.  I wouldn't know, because I eat like I'm 3 years old, but I think spending might be this way.  I can now stop and think: do I need this?  Will I hate storing it later?
 
I can walk out of a store with just what I came for.
 
7.  I have a list of crap I want to buy but can't in my journal.  This is sick.
 
8.  My main goal was to save up 50% of our annual salary this year, not including what was already in savings.  We have saved up 40% of that, thus far.  This is mainly due to a hefty tax return but hey who cares where the cash comes from as long as it's not blood money am I right or am I right?
 
9.  April's main goal is to figure out how to stop hemorrhaging cash at the grocery store.  I'm gonna stick to a list-- maybe even make a meal plan.  But don't hold your breath to the second part because that would require organizational skills I don't possess.
 
10.  Not eating out is great for the pocketbook 'n all-- it adds up BIG time, and my kids don't appreciate it enough and all that, but cooking meal after meal and cleaning up over and over and over like it's Groundhog Day also backfires on me.  I got to the point where I was chasing people around with spatulas saying the kitchen was closed and I couldn't take turning out one.more.meal. and the cook was on strike and have you ever been hit over the head with a frying pan because it's about to happen?.  Tell me if it hurts.?. 
 
So I guess 5 buck pizza occasionally does everyone a favor.
 
 
11.  Still can't believe my Chinese place is staying in business without me.
 
12.  I would like some egg rolls.
 
13.  Still haven't purchased any clothing for me.  I find it so interesting that I always felt like my "wardrobe was not complete" like it was the deathstar or the circle of life or something, and yet I could never find a hanger, or fit more clothes in anywhere.  Now I'm actually wearing everything I bought, and if I'm not wearing it, it is gonzo. 
 
14.  My only belt, that is now around my jeans that sit around my flab, is hanging by a couple threads.  It's a joke.
 
15.  My "belt" will not make it til the end of the year.
 
16.  I realized that I have subconsciously grounded myself from Hobby Lobby.  I'm not stepping foot in the hob lob for one year.  Seriously.  I am a craft supply hoarder.  I have scrapbook paper.  I don't scrap.  The only supplies I might not have is for soap making or leather crafting, but that's it.
 
(did you need to borrow something?  I'm sure I've got it.)
 
Plus I'm curious if your hob lob employees are as ornery as mine.  I swear it's as if it's part of the hiring process.  ("Are you grouchy?  Good- you're hired.")  Good grief people put on a smile you're around all this crafting good-ness.?.
 
17.  Final.  Finally:
 
I feel in control.  More peaceful.  Smarter.  It's worth it. 

34 comments:

DressUpNotDown said...

The lack of pictures was more than made up by your particular brand of wit. :o) Oh yeah, and yours is the only blog that I DON'T get mad at if there are no pictures in a post!

www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

Kim @ KimsKandyKreations said...

Wish I could be as awesome as you. I''m leaking money somewhere like the Titanic...it's not good. Hope it's not my crafting addiction, because I'd HATE to give that up. But you are an inspiration.

Allison Burton said...

Um, yes. My hobby lobby ladies are very un-nice. I'm currently on a hob-lob strike too. Mostly because of the un-niceness, partially because of my own self-imposed craft supply spending freeze.

Jen said...

Funny you would say that about the employees at Hobby Lobby. I really hadn't noticed until last year, when my stepdaughter came from Florida to stay with us while her hubby was in basic training, and I took her there. She mentioned how ornery and unfriendly the workers there looked and acted. I was astonished, once I took notice!! It's so TRUE! I was there just there other day to return some stuff and the girl was so chipper and nice and helpful! I actually thanked her for being so. :)

Juli said...

All great ideas! You should both be so proud of yourselves. When you get to 50% though, for the love of GAWD please take yourself out for ice cream. :)

Jackie said...

Umm. The employees at my Hobby Lobby are always nice. Granted I don't go there very often because the hob lob and I live on opposite ends of the same county and it's an all day shopping event if I go, because JoAnn's is like 2 miles away. It's a treat when I get to go to the other side of the county. I am very happy to hear that you are doing well on your money saving venture. Kudos.

jasi said...

love the way you write, it's like talking to my bestie. and your topic today was entirely relatable. i haven't been in a home goods for a year and i swear my bank account proves it. and i too hate cooking 3 different meals, 3x a day for people who don't even appreciate my cooking. and the darn clean up after producing millions of meals to angry people who just want crackers and fruity snacks. i scrub my cooktop with tears and rage. wait more rage than tears which is why it's not so clean.

cathgrace said...

Since we are military we move a lot. I decorate each new place, usually a little differently (or a lot differently) then the last place. I cannot even tell you how often I have walked around my house adding up how much money I have spent on crap that's not my taste anymore, I remember buying it thinking "I will LOVE this FOREVER!!!!" but honestly, as soon as I slightly change decor, I start thinking, why did I need this birdcage? I've actually decided to stop feeling guilty about it though, cut my losses, sell some crap (I was sort of hoarding it all because you know, it cost GOOD money) and then think very carefully before buying anything else. TJ Maxx, Ross and Marshall's really don't have any metal gew gaws that I can't live without...... really. (Not that I live near any of those stores now we are in Korea, which makes my not buying things resolution easier.)

The Coys said...

Love this post. As always your honesty is so relatable. I too have crafting supplies I just don't need. And so much fabric, I could sew an item a day for a year and not use it all up. It's insane. Anyhow, thanks for the laughs.

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy said...

I have a soap kit/supplies if you want to make some ;-)

Samantha said...

I love it when I see I've got a post from you in my 'to read' list. I do a little jump and clap for joy when I see it. Eeee!

Moving on from why I'm odd, why don't you find a belt you like and ask someone to buy it for you as a gift. You could try for mother's day but it'd be coming out of your money still. Try to get it from rich friends by offering them some scrap booking paper in return :D

funjani said...

I laughed and laughed all the way down this list. It is so me. I especially liked #6 and #9. Good luck on your endeavor to save money. I decided years ago to have part of our paycheck go to a savings account at a bank far away. No cards attached to it at all. It has been a life saver for emergencies, beach trips, etc. I also started ordering groceries online. Harris Teeter has valet pick up. It keeps me organized AND they keep your past lists stored.

royaltysparkles said...

I used to write down things I wanted to buy, but couldn't. Then when people ask what you want for X holiday (birthday, Christmas, Mardi Gas, etc) you can pull out your "list" of things you want but aren't willing/able to buy for yourself. Win-win!

Janelle said...

You are amazing. Good job on the money thing. It is a really hard thing, but it looks like you have a good handle on it. (I hope you bought that handle before the money goal thing started)
And I love reading your blogs- they bring humor into my life.

Pat Swift said...

I love your blog....You are so real, honest and funny. I love seeing a new blog from you in my email. Thanks for the sunshine you add to my world.

Jenna Pennell said...

Oh my gosh, I thought it was just my HobLob! Every time I need some fabric cut its like I'm ruining their day. Excuse me for helping keep you in a job! Oh, and I have to say that I'm terrible at commenting but I lovey love your sense of humor and your posts always brighten my day. :)

Daddy-O said...

I am so impressed with the depth of your commentary. Honestly!! But, can I make the things I want to make out of millions of skinny pieces of wood I've saved? You can't throw that stuff away! If you do, you'll need it next week.

Carla said...

Amen to #2!

Amen to #16... cranky hoblob employees! And I wish I lived closer to you/actually knew you because a. my life would be more enjoyable and b. i would totally borrow craft supplies.

Loved this post!

Rochelle @ Delightful! said...

I laugh every day with your witty writing. I'm in need of a pom-pom maker, but don't want to spend $$. Have one I can borrow?

Kimbo West said...

number 2 is such a pet peeve. i would rather have too much and take leftovers than see the amount of people and the amount of rolls and position myself in the serving line so i get one...then i feel guilty and only take half...even though the boy in front of me took two. some people's children.

okay. it was my son in front of me.

Maureen said...

Mandi,

I am so happy for you! You are great - not really trying to mimic Tony the Tiger here. As for crafting stuff I bet we could have a contest. If you ever do want to try and make soap or do some scrapbooking please feel free. I bet I have some supplies for crafts you haven't heard of yet. Yes - double dare.

Maureen

Alicia said...

Try cooking as much as you can on the weekends and reusing the ingredients every night. We've been living on baked sweet potatoes, quinoa, frozen mixed vegetables, and eggs in some form, sometimes lentils, too. It's easy and very cheap.
Do you have any consignment stores nearby? There's one great place in my town that offers store credit which is a better dollar amount than cash. I have been giving them my old clothes and only letting myself "buy" from there with store credit. It's been an easy way to get the things in my wardrobe that I've wanted without spending money, and it's a great way to get rid of stuff I don't *love*.

Alicia said...

And you've nailed it that physically not going into the store is the first best thing you can do!
I say this as a person who has somehow avoided Goodwill for the last 3 weeks.

Michelle Johnnie said...

Saving 40% of a salary. Wow! I'm going have to repent for jealousness on Sunday.

Erin said...

Hob Lob - the ladies in the sewing section at mine are the crabbiest! They've been there since the store opened (10 yrs?) and they never smile. I thought crafty people were supposed to be nice...I am! I'm even afraid to ask them questions, for fear of the scowl.

On another note - congrats on the spending freeze success. My weakness is clothes for my kids. I shop outlet, clearance, rummage and resale and somehow manage to convince myself that the new baby on the way really does need 26 different onesies, a billion shortall sets and at least 10 sleepers. Sadly my husband does not agree.

Kudos to you for reigning it in!

Maggie said...

I am dying about the Hob Lob employees! They are soooo annoyed that we are there shopping. I'm sure it is because they have to memorize every sale in the dang store. Why can't they just have barcodes? Hilarious post, good job on your frugalness!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

HobLob. I don't even have one, and I'm LOLing. Probably because my sister works at one, and she is crabby at work. They're probably crabby because of how little they get paid. I used to work at a craft store, and I have to say: It sucked. 30% off did not make up for the lameness of the job. All I got to do was cashier, price items, and constantly put stuff away. No fun at all. And my coworkers, all lame-o grumps.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Lady you are wicked smaht. (Boston accent)
I think the best step to not spending $ is to not step foot in a craft store for a year. Genius. Adding to my list. I so agree with you on all these points, in fact I was shaking my head and talking to you all through this point, and laughed so hard at the Groundhog day comment - UGHHHGHH that is exactly how I feel! And dang it's hard to save at the grocery store esp. when you are also trying to eat healthy - all the healthy stuff (umm, fresh produce for example?) is so expensive. But I think that is where we should be spending good money, kinda like gift giving. Excellent post, even sans pictures : )

Veronica said...

I am loving the spending cleanse and organization. Even without pictures. You are definitely inspiring me to do better. And I've made myself promise to come back to your blog and read a spending cleanse post every time I think about an online purchase. I've walked away from a few electronic baskets (and not purchased a few in-store items)thanks to you! You may have become that inner voice in my head. . . does that scare you?

Hippymom83 said...

#7: I have a pinterest board with 386 pins of crap I want but can't afford to buy. And another board with 96 pins of crap I *must have* and I'm saving up to buy. This too is sick.

Hippymom83 said...

#10: I feel your endless-cooking-and-cleaning blues! We are on a strict diet that doesn't allow for eating out [but costs MORE than eating out to be a member, so I'm not even saving money!!!!!], and now I feel like I NEVER LEAVE MY KITCHEN!!!! And every time I walk into my kitchen I find SOME CRAP THAT SOMEONE ELSE LEFT OUT THAT DOESN'T BELONG ON MY NICE CLEAN COUNTER!!!!!! And yes.....I threaten my family with the frying pan as well. Don't feel bad about it.....they probably deserve it. :)

Hippymom83 said...

#12: I'd kill for an egg roll right now. But it's not on my diet. So I guess my hubby can live another day. [he's the only one here that I could have killed for that egg roll] LOL

Jaime said...

I love your blog!!! I spent a large amount of after the kid went to bed time reading it back to the begining (almost I couldn't find where I was at, at some point and gave up)

I am a frugal queen and finally found a way to save at the grocery store because I am too lazy to make a meal plan and such. I tried for two weeks and gave up :) Anyway emeals.com is my favorite. They have samples for you to try before you pay but only $5 a month and they do everything for me including grocery list. It always seems to come out to within dollars of the same amount so I just roll the five bucks into my grocery budget and I always come in even.

kristen said...

oh my yes! Hobby lobby workers are the worst! I thought it was just mine. I am actually scared to go in the store because I think they hate me! I wonder why they aren't happy. I love that place!