Monday, November 26, 2012

Rush Project.

It was probably the middle of the night, when I realized:
 
"Holy crap-- if I drop everything and hustle my buns to get my mantel in the boudoir done, I can actually decorate IT FOR CHRISTMAS!!"

You know I want this.  Before the 1st of December.
 
 

Ooooh yeee-ah.  This is so on.  I want a new mantel to decorate, people.  This does mean I will have to paint, though.  Ew.  Oh well.  Push through the torture, here.
 
So, I headed to Lowe's and picked up all my lumber (even took my kids, I wanted this so much I could taste it-- and we all know my rule:   Lowe's, + kids = rather chew broken glass).

 Got all my cuts done,


and I was ready to roll.

This is where I tell you about the thing I'm so excited about I have to wee.

The plans for this project are fairly simple. It's a simple-ish mantel. Notice that not a lot of fancy molding is used.

-You must know that I love my molding.
 -If you don't know me by now, you will never never never know me. Ooooh.

Enter in my new, handy-dandy router I talked about a few weeks back.



I had zero bits for this thing, until last week. Zero. Nada.

 So imagine my surpreese, when some totally, completely, awesomely spectacular friends suprised me with this massive, totally badical 80 piece router bit set for my birthday:



I was blown away.   Oh. My. Stars.  This thing has every bit I could ever dream of.  I just. . .there are no words.  Best present ever.  Thank you so much, ladies.

Now, I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence, but just in case you aren't familiar with the badical-ness of a router, well, let's just show ya.

Daddy-o was kind enough to head on over to give me a little lesson with my new router and all its accompanying bits.




So, what does it do? Well, I'll tell you what it do's:



boring, plain boards become fancy, beautiful molded boards.  Hmm- -I've always been told my arms are masculine, but now I can see it.



This was the point where I squealed, golf clapped, and I may have jumped in the air and clicked my heels, but it's all a blur. I'm going to route every single doggone piece on this mantel, my peeps.

Someone come paint it for me.

9 comments:

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

How bout this...you build two and I'll paint two.

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

How bout this...you build two and I'll paint two.

Rebecca D said...

If you finish that before Christmas and still do all the other decorating you always do it is official, I will not be worthy to be your friend! (Happy belated birthday!)

Jen said...

I am totally jealous. Nuff said.

SueAnn Lommler said...


Congrats on the router and the bits!! That is an awesome pressie!!
Enjoy...
Hugs
SueAnn

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oooh, I'd love to paint it for you, Mandi! It's going to look great. I love when you get that inspiration that just has to be done "right this very minute".

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I will totally come paint that bad boy for you if you come build me an identical fireplace mantel!
I'm jealous of your birthday present, Router Girl.
Can't wait to see all your fancy moulding! See, I even used the fancy spelling for it. And I'm saying it with a British accent. You and your routered boards are so fancy!!!

Shirley Moore said...

I want a mantel. I've never had a mantel. I have a paint brush. And paint. Can I have a mantel? :D

kevin lafluer said...

SMH