Thursday, November 15, 2012

Instruments of Torture.

Where did we leave off with this room filled with instruments of torture?
 


Oh, right.  Pulling up vinyl.  Man, that sucked.
 
Nobody get mad at me because I pulled up my plywood flooring. I talked about what I think about it, here.

Okay, enough of that.  On with the new.

So guess what we chose for flooring. We really went thee rounds with this: hardwood flooring to match the rest of the house? Laminate?  Tile?  That tile that looks like hardwood?  Just brick off the entire room and never go there again?

. . . we thought 'n thought.

But when it comes down to it, we felt like putting tile in would be very practical and totally make sense for the area.

Yes. Stone (looking) tile. Again.

Put travertine in our bathroom several months back:


(check it: you can see my totally nasty work shoes in the corner of the pic.)

I think we are smitten with stone. We are in deep smit.   Especially because this is gonna look okay even when it's really, really really really dirty.  Really.

Busted our buns putting this in on Saturday.



Regard the mortar spill on the baseboards.  That would have been moi.  Jeffro is very particular and clean with his trowelling.  Me: notsomuch.

At about 8:00 p.m., when we still had all those totally annoying little pieces to cut, and I had gone outside in the freezing icy cold for the 5th time to mix a massive batch of mortar, and I had sat in a daze and counted all the different tiling jobs we've done over the years (we are at tiling project number 10.  Thanks for asking.)  I said to the hubs,

"Let's never tile anything. Ever again. Ever. For as long as we live. Pinky swear.  Threaten to divorce me if I suggest it again.  This sucks."

Hubs thought about it, and was all,

"Um, unless you plan on tiling the ceiling I can't imagine what we would have left to tile at this point."

Good point, Jeffro.  Also, thanks for not getting mad at me when I wasted a piece with a totally crooked cut.  It was dark outside, okay?  My teeth were chattering!  Gosh.

And behold it all grouted and cleaned up by me!



I think this is the cleanest this room has ever been.  Ever.  Since our move in date, of course.

Now, if I can just figure out how to clean up the utility sink in here.



What's the crap in here, you ask? Oh, little a this. Little a that. Grout, mortar, oil based poly, water based poly, several colors of paint, some rust, wood glue, gasoline, human remains, uranium, plutonium, toxic waste. The usual.

16 comments:

Suesan Kennard said...

I LOVE the tile. It looks great in that space and will clean up well. I think you will be very happy you went with it. Great job, of course. Your rock star status remains unchallenged.

Shirley Moore said...

You know when you run out of things to renovate, you're gonna wanna move, right? :D
I think this looks fantastic, and very close to the tile in my bathroom.

WhettenWild said...

Looks great!
My utility sink is super nasty too!

Hayley said...

"deep smit" snort

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

We had a flood in our house and have to redo everything. 2500 sq feet of laminate and that doesn't include the tile in kitchen dining 3 bathrooms and laundry room or the big gaping hole in the ceiling. We did the laminate on one floor and man i am worn out. How do you do it?

SueAnn Lommler said...

LOL...thanks for the chuckle this AM. The tile looks great!! Well done...high fives..and all that!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Libby said...

Looks great! Is it real stone or lino (can't think of non-stone stuff's name)?

Solution to your grody sink: install a new one. Less elbow grease needed.

I wonder what tiles can be put on the ceiling......hmmm

Unknown said...

The tile looks great! And a sink cleaner reccomendation - Bar Keepers Friend. It cleans everything - I love it!

Megan C said...

My utility sink looks just like yours. I am always thankful that it the utilty sink vs the kitchen sink.

Layne Bushell said...

human remains...ha ha ha. floor looks awesome!

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

Thanks for sharing the picture of your nasty sink. I have a huge double porcelain sink in my laundry room that looks equally nasty. it's embarrassing, but not embarrassing enough that I feel compelled to go clean it. So, there...

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

You are so the man…or woman as the case may be. 10th tile job? I had to stop after one….and that one took 10 years off my life. Very impressive that you banged this out with the hubs too. You two make a good team!

Bon-Bon said...

Before you go replacing the sink, try a Mr. Clean Magic Sponge. Maybe between that and the Bar Keepers Friend stuff....the "sponge" requires no cleaner other than elbow grease. Great invention, Mr. Clean!!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Hah I'm the same with the mortar! I get it all over the walls! Luckily that stuff comes off super easy.

We're debating what kind of flooring to do in our laundry room in our basement. Right now there is vinyl tile (probably abestos) glued onto the cement down there, so whatever we do will have to be on top of it. Decisions Decisions.

Anyway, your job and room looks fantastic, great job girl.

Emily said...

I love it!! It looks great!

Vespa Fae said...

FYI, If that is a steel sink WD40 works wonders to clean it.