Friday, July 13, 2012

There She Goes Again.

(Oh boy, brace yourself-- this is where she gets all misty-eyed talking about summer, and goes on and on about how great it is, blah blah blah.  She does this at least twice a year.)

Yes, it's true: "this man has no. . ." never mind.  Yes, it's true: it's that time to chat about my favorite season, again. 

I don't know what else to say.
Source: google.com via Mandi on Pinterest

Except for this.

I believe in what The Nester says about only having x amount of summers left with the kids. For me, it's nine.    Just nine summers left before my kids are all grown up.  Ish.

Three if you only count the ones before my kids figure out their mom is a nerd and avoid her.

(Um, Somebody's under here!)



I believe that the world kind of stops in summertime, and the days go slower. And they're meant to.



I believe that happy summer memories carry us through the dark and cold winter months.



I believe in going from jammies, to swimsuits. And then back to jammies.



I believe that water straight out of the hose is delicious.



I believe that the hours when the sun goes down and all the carnival lights turn on is the shizzle.



I believe in lemonade, popsicles, ice cream parties, barbeques and watermelon, game nights, neighborhood night games, sand in the crack, swimsuit wedgie picking, and  random, annual visits to the bowling alley (why the bowling alley?  I have no idea.  It's a tradition.  It just is.).



I believe in a double dosage of deodorant. I believe in 24 hour allergy pills and a box of tissues next to the bed (so why do I love summer?), and doggone it,
I now believe that kids can, in fact, get better with age.  Behold.

 

Hallelujah, and amen.

I believe in summer lovin', had me a blast.  Summer lovin', happened so fast.  I met a girl, crazy for me-- met a boy, cute as can be.



I believe that that was my favorite movie when I was young, and I had zero idea how perverted it was until I grew up.

Yes, people: summer days, drifting away, to ah!  oh the summer nights.


'N finally, I said it last time, and I'll say it again: kids get only one childhood, and we're doin' our best to make it count.

11 comments:

SueAnn Lommler said...

Good for you!! Love the pics!! I too love the summer...it is just as special when the kids are grown...then it's the two of you enjoy the lazy summer days!!
Hugs
SUeAnn

Janice said...

You take great pictures! And this is making me feel like i'm wasting my summer. I'm off to do something summery and fun.

ANd we just went bowling too. Hilarious watching tiny people hurl heavy balls around.

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

So perfectly said, Mandi! You are so right - you only get one childhood. A lifetime of memories is born in these 10 or 15 summers our kids will actually remember. Your kids are so lucky to have you for a momma, you work so hard to make their life happy!

I totally stinkin love the pictures on the boat - crying/happy - that side by side comparison is so hilarious!!!

Enjoy these summer days my friend :)

Suesan said...

Four. I have four summers left and I missed half of this one with my older boy because he worked at the scout camp. Love this post and so glad Miss McKenna has found some joy in your efforts.

WhettenWild said...

I don't like counting the summers..........so sad! The kids love the pictures.

Rebecca D said...

And those nine summers will go by way too fast... So if your 17 year old daughter asks you to play Monopoly at 11 PM you do it!! (And make rootbeer floats at 1 AM to help you finish the game!) Why, 'cause I am on my LAST summer!!
PS. I loved Grease too as a teen and took my girlies to a stage production of it several years ago and realized the plot was "tramp yourself up to win your man" for the FIRST time!

Libby said...

I love summer too and feel that I am frettering away warm/hot days by being in the house doing mundane things like making meal.
I love(d) Grease also and was so excited to show it to my kids...that is when I also realized what a immoral movie it was! (& I've never agreed with Sandy tramping herself up to help Danny be comfortable with her)

beccalouise said...

where is that lake? i want to go there! really, i love the water because i grew up in florida. i don't know where to go swimming in utah. share please?

Layne Bushell said...

@Becca Louise: I'm pretty sure those pictures were taken at Bear Lake...North East corner of Utah and the lake spans the Utah/Idaho Border. It's a very cold and very gorgeous lake!

Mandi...love the post and the pictures. And you are making the most of summer. I haven't seen you a bit. I love that you are busy even if it makes me sad we haven't chatted! But in a few weeks when the chitlins are back in school there will be plenty of time for that! keep on enjoying your summer!

Layne Bushell said...

@Becca Louise: I'm pretty sure those pictures were taken at Bear Lake...North East corner of Utah and the lake spans the Utah/Idaho Border. It's a very cold and very gorgeous lake!

Mandi...love the post and the pictures. And you are making the most of summer. I haven't seen you a bit. I love that you are busy even if it makes me sad we haven't chatted! But in a few weeks when the chitlins are back in school there will be plenty of time for that! keep on enjoying your summer!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Mandi, I think our RZRs are the same color. I knew we were both cool.