Sunday, July 8, 2012

It Is Finished.

I kinda feel like I just pulled off a mini-wedding.


Okay-- sorry, sorry-- ye who have planned weddings, this is nothing like a wedding.  Even a mini one.  But man, it took a lot of work.


Wow, that's pretty buttery popcorn.
So!
The Cousin's Carnival, Version 1.0, launched this weekend.



Can we discuss all the things I've learned about this annual shindig? First,



I fretted and fretted-- bit my nails, and hemmed and hawed over the potential destructive power of even a medium-sized wind.

 

With a photo backdrop that basically acts like a sail outside in windy conditions, plus, games that rely on a certain amount of steadiness to even be played,


(can you see my "Bullseye" game just waving in the wind?) it was kind of a problem. And guess what we had this weekend? WIND. I'm saying it like a swear word.



Next year? Version 2.0? We'll start at dusk. It's so nice and cool at that hour.
 The fact that I had sweaty pit marks larger than I've ever had ever isn't influencing this decision at all.

It's also the perfect time to take pictures,



and then, we'll end with fireworks. Ahhh Yee-ah, B-ooooyy-ee.

Random sidenote:



Every time I think about the food, I want to start singing "Hot dogs and snow cones and popcorn and peanuts. . ." to the tune of "These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things".

I just thought you should know.

Can we talk games? Let's talk games. I'm thinking I'll add a new one every year. You already know about "Kill The Clown" (subtitle: "Before he kills you"),

in the which his teeth get knocked out (here he is all gummy and toofless).

And I showed ya the bendy "Bullseye" (the easiest game to slap together by far).
Well, here's the hardest game of all.



Plinko. Alternate title: "Iron Maiden".



Yes. Those are screws. I ground down the points to make them less lethal. If ya look close, you can see the sparks spraying out. I felt like Alex on "Flashdance". And I do my own dance scenes, thank you very much.



And here we have Spin to Win. Or Wheel of Fortune. It's whatever title blows my skirt up at the moment.



Wanna know how it spins? I have no idea! The Daddy-o made it it's own stand and put some bad to the bone hardware on it just to help me out. What a guy, that Daddy-o.



And last but certainly not least, we have Balloon Darts.


Take a tip from me: use the largest balloons you can find. THE LARGEST. My balloon-tying fingers are sore. Um, so, remember what I said about destructive winds?



If it knocks over your dart game, the grass will take care of all the rest of the balloons. (This is where I muttered choice words under my breath.)



All in all, I think my little kiddos had fun. Everyone went home with a bunch of total and complete junk,



and no one puked over night. As far as I know. No, don't tell me.

17 comments:

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts said...

you. are. awesome. next time my kids and I are coming.....

Emily said...

Mandi, you are the bomb!! That looks amazing!

Rach said...

Holy wow.
I'm just in awe you had the guts to go through with it. : )
My fav is the plinko board.
Ummm...wow.

SueAnn Lommler said...

Looks like fun was had by all. Everything looked fabulous!
Hugs
SUeAnn

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I read this post with a smile on my face, Mandi! You did a great job and I'll bet they had so much fun. I'm sure you are officially the Coolest Aunt Ever! : )

S. Anderson said...

You are the coolest aunt/mom/neighbor ever! This would have been awesome growing up!

Rebecca D said...

Wow... It does look like this took the planning of a mini-wedding... Maybe even a medium sized one! And I think I am qualified to say so!

Everything looks amazing... How could the kids not have had a blast? I think I may pretend to be youe niece so I can come to the next one... I think I'll blend right in!

We did a carnival theme party for Allison's 7th birthday and I discovered the evils of the balloon dart game myself...Not only did I have bruses on my fingers for a week, we made ours out of a giant bullitin board that I paid way too much for at Staples but thought I would re-use being a homeschooler and all... My husband built a temporary stand for it for that day, but alas one over zealous boy tripped running to get his tickets and literally snapped the board in half... This happened about 15 minutes into the party!

Layne Bushell said...

We wanted to crash that party. Looked like so much fun. I bet the kids all had a blast and you are glad it's over. But knowing you, you're already planning the next one!!!!

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy said...

Love it!! Can't wait to see what you add/change for next year

Trina @ A Few Miner Adjustments said...

This is impressive! You are a rock star! And I am sure those kids had a blast. You should take this on the road!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Wow! You are AWESOME!!! I love how everything turned out and despite it being windy, it looks like everyone had a great time. It looks like so much fun.

And despite being seriously deep in wedding planning myself, I don't take offense to the comment. You obviously put a LOT of work into your carnival and you should be so proud if yourself!

Donna @ Snowbound said...

Wow!!Great job. I did a small carnival for my boys birthday last fall. It was a lot of fun!

Billie said...

I think you get the title of Best Aunt/Mom in the whole world! That is about the coolest thing I have ever seen. You truly amaze me!

C Lysager said...

Wow that looked amazing. Can I rent you and your games out for a back yard carnival at my house? I don't live too terribly far from you. Keep up the great work, all the kids in your life are lucky to have you!!

WhettenWild said...

The kids had so much fun!!!! Thanks for putting in all of that work. They all LOVED it!

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

Apparently I've missed all my summer reading over here. I can't believe you orchestrate all of this. Is there anything you can't do?? Is there no end to your creativity?? How fun this must have been for your family!! Talk about memories your kids will talk about for the rest of their lives!!

Teri said...

I think you win the Auntie of the Year award! This is incredible! You should have charged admission to the neighbour kids and made a few bucks!