Friday, April 13, 2012

How To Hang Yourself.

Ho, man-- that didn't come out right. I meant to say "how to hang your stuff." Freudian slip I 'spose.

Anywho.

This is "Step Deux" of flower boxes, the hanging edition. Let's do this.

I wanna show you something the Daddy-o introduced me to. Changed my life. In a DIY sense. I've talked about it before. It's ze french cleat:

it's awesome. Do you see what we have here? Take a simple 1x4 for instance, turn your table saw on a 45°, and cut it in half. One half goes on your wall, one half goes on your project.

Got 'em all over my house.

So, why even do that?

Consider: easily put the first piece into the studs on the wall, and then your project? You can lift it on and off with ease. It's sturdy, it's simple, and it ain't permanent.

Let's explore this idea further:

Zees ees my french cleat for my window boxes. (and somewhere, a french boy throws his baguette to the ground and yells "we do not sound like zat!")

One piece goes into the studs in my wall:

and the other goes onto the back of my window box:

and now, all that's left is to

OH.MY.GOSH.

Hold the phone. Oh.my.gosh. (said like Chris Farley on "Tommy Boy": "the medic gets out and says 'oh my gosh!' the new guy in the corner is puking. . .")

Dudes. Eeee-yew.

These are my gay-rage windows. Someone should really clean that out. Someone else.

Just keeping it real.

Anyway,

lemme show you how this cleat looks with the box hung, if I can get up in here. . . lemme see. . .

(ow I hit my head on my house, sunuva) See how they fit together all nice-like?

Since we're keeping it real, this side of my house is the fugly side. The boxes are step one in a process to make it just a little prettier. And I'm trying desperately to minimize the ugliness by my camera angles.

And ya know, if someone (else) cleaned those windows, that'd help a bit too.

15 comments:

Natalie Wright said...

Dude, I am your 1,111 follower. That is super cool! You should celebrate. Or not.

Good post. Good tip. Good blog. Good everything.

I really like you.

(Insert awkward silence.)

Alrighty then. Peace out.

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

These are so cool! I have an ugly window that needs a little dressing up, I might have to give these a try. I'm curious to see how they look once they're planted.

Stephanie said...

That's fantastic! Where was this little tip when I hung the massive shelf in our living room?? There are nail holes all over the freaking place now. Oh well. I'm a spacklin' fool. I can deal.

Evelyn said...

Wow, so like, no additional screws or anything? Will it still hold when it's full of dirt and flowers?

I'm sure it will, but I'm an idiot when it comes to stuff like this, and I want to make sure I understand completely!

Suesan said...

I love it. I will definitely be putting this tip to use. Can't wait to see the planter filled with pretty flowers.

Rebecca D said...

You are the only person on the planet who could write a post on hanging window boxes and have me laughing so hard my family thinks I'm on drugs! Literally, my husband asked what had me laughing so hard I was crying, and I told him a post on hanging window boxes with a french cleat... He looked at me for a really long time then said "girls, I think your mom is on crack." and went back to his newspaper!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

The good ole french cleat, never done one but watched them tons of times on HGTV, early Trading Spaces days. Bon jour!

Connie said...

Ok this may be a stupid question but...are you gonna pull them down every winter?

WhettenWild said...

I'll clean your windows if you'll do some window boxes for me. DEAL???? Come on! You KNOW you are getting the better end of the deal. NOT.

SueAnn Lommler said...

Love the cleat!! I use it too
Hugs
SueAnn

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

That's just to simple. I think you should make it harder, otherwise I just don't think I could do it. Actually, when I try this, I'll probably make it harder...'cuz that's how I roll!

Emily said...

What a great idea! I mIght be able to do that one!!

Bludart said...

Awesome! I'm adding this to the never ending list of "crap we need to do when we own a house." Window boxes are amazingk.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

A french cleat! They are bril aren't they?? I hung the two heavy heavy windows in the guest bedroom I filled with pictures with a french cleat, although I bought two small metal ones from HD. Those suckers can hold like, 60 lbs. A couple months ago my husband was like, "One of your pictures fell down", and I was like, um, it's hung with a french cleat, the only way it could have "fell down" is if you had knocked it upwards and off the cleat. Dirty, dirty liar.

BTW, we're planning on possibly building a little mini-deck porch our front this summer, and I'm so making one of your fabulous flower boxes if we do.

Teri said...

That's awesome, Mandi! How do you drill through the stucco like that? I'm afraid to hang anything outside because I'm not sure how to drill through the vinyl siding without damaging it and with finding an actual stud!