Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

It's no secret that I adore Pinterest.

I've given up a lot, a lot of interwebs time/sites to focus more on my fam (and that's a topic for another time), but I ain't giving up Pinterest.

Almost every night I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. From stuff, like, you know,

this.

the Chewbacca dog.

I want one.

Or this.

Classic.

Or this little gem.




Everything about this picture wins.

And I just laugh and laugh and laugh. . . and I slap my knee and the hubs goes, "What?" and I just go "man, some people are so clever!" while I'm gasping for breath like an idiot and wiping my eyes.


And the recipes? Oh . .. the recipes. I'm on Pinterest at night, and every night, I'm hungry looking at all that deliciousness.

Source: imgfave.com via Mandi on Pinterest


But. BUT. Have you kind of noticed something? Like, say, links that don't link to anything, really?

Links that go to websites that are in Russian, perhaps?

Links that are spam?

Pins with explanations that are totally and completely not what the post is about?

Perhaps you've seen the one touting that you don't need helium anymore to blow up a balloon, and we're all going, "Yeah! I can make a balloon float here at home! Screw you, dollar store!" except all it is and all the blogger ever meant for it to be was a science project for blowing up a balloon for kids?

They don't float, folks. I know. Darn.

This is gonna make me sound uptight. ("Mandi is so uptight, that if you put a lump of coal. . ." Never mind. Just know that in two weeks, you'd have a diamond.)

So, now, I check everything I pin. Like, check to make sure the pin is credited to the right place, it's not in Hindustani, and it is what I think it is.

Would you call me "anal retentive"? ("Yeah, but not to your face." Name that movie.)

Oh, and recipes. Don't get me started on recipes. I love them. I hate them. Sometimes.

This was a hit.

So's this.

Source: bhg.com via Mandi on Pinterest



Prettiest dessert I ever made. and it was easy, too.

But don't get me started on the bad ones. Sooo frustrating to make something with expensive food that is a waste, know what I'm saying?

I'm not gonna call out the nasty recipe posts-- that's just mean. Take that crockpot orange chicken that's gone viral on Pinterest, for example:

I've heard it's total vomit by several people. But what if the girl who posted the recipe really likes vomit? She didn't know it was gonna go crazy on Pinterest and people weren't gonna love it. She doesn't deserve a smackdown.

'N that's why I quickly realized that a pin board for "DON'T EAT THIS SH$#!" would be rude. Or a pin board for craft/recipe/DIY fails entitled "WHAT WERE THEY SMOKING??" is totally uncalled for.

But what I can do,

is have a pin board that passed the test (i.e., it's a keeper recipe, it's in English, it is what it says it is, etc.).

And I shall call it. . . "Tried & True."


(Kara this syrup is amazing, by the way.)

So to make a long story short (WAY TOO LATE), if ya want, you can follow my Tried & True pinboard. Then you'll know I checked it out. 'S all I'm saying.

20 comments:

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

Mandi, once again you got me giggling! I really want you to have a folder call don't eat this.... Gotta go grab a tissue! Thanks for the laughter, I've been working on taxes all day, I needed it!

Rach said...

Brilliant! Follow your tried and true! Thanks!

And !!

Kimbo West said...

not that you need ANOTHER thing to do online...
but..
http://www.pinterestyouaredrunk.com

COTTAG3 said...

I check the pins back to the original source too. It seems like the spam ones have really taken off in the last couple of weeks and I hate it.
Love the recipes too so I'll have to follow your board!

Lisa Scibilia said...

I would follow you anywhere. I think I already follow all your pinboards! Love the idea of a tried & true board! And yes that syrup looks amazing!
I am only posting pins on my blog that I can trace back to the original source - which means a whole lot more work since NOTHING seems to be from the original source!

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

Haha! I had to download the Star Wars ones, so I could post them on my son's facebook page. He's 28 and started collecting Star Wars when he was five. He'll love those!

missy j said...

You crack me up! I have "made" that orange chicken too! Need I say, I called my husband and had him pick up orange chicken from the local restaurant on the way home??? Try to explain THAT one when he knew of my planning and preparing of the $#!% ! AND THE TAKE OUT WAS LESS THAN I SPENT ON THE RECIPE!!! WITH crab rangoon too...Ha! Thanks for the chuckle, I am following Tried and True!

Jen said...

More & more I think we should be besties for life. From your pinterest page to your wood obsession to your love of all thinks geeky. Oh and how can I forget our shared interest in random movie quotes.

Thanks for it all!

Jen said...

...Things not thinks.

WhettenWild said...

Ok but you'll still tell me about the bad ones right?? Right? So glad I dodged the orange chicken bullet. LOL

Ms. Private said...

Nothing clever to say other than to say I check the source too and your Tried & True board is très intelligent

oh and also, that I always loved Cameron more than Ferris so I guess I love you more too ;)

Kara said...

Yay, glad to see my syrup made your list! I'm now following, and I've gotta try that coconut banana bread with lime glaze. Holy yum!

Carolyn Dennis said...

I would just like to point out that I had to read this three times because I kept scrolling back up to to the Bob Ross/Harrison Ford picture and giggling, then losing my train of thought. Then I had to look and see if they photoshop'd little happy trees on it the third time.

I am for SURE a source checker... unless I'm giggling too hard...

Emily said...

We tried at orange chicken too! Every time my sister sees it she wants to leave a mean comment.

Do we think a like or what. I made a board the other day for the recipes I liked "the good stuff" and the desserts I have liked "yummy treats" I am totally going to follow your tried and true board!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

LOL! These are seriously laugh out loud funny, Mandi! My kids would tell me the texting one and I just love the one under that ~ romance and realism together! : ) Thanks for sharing them.

Kassi @ Truly Lovely said...

Bahaha! Too funny! I actually wouldn't mind seeing a board of 'These don't work' ideas. But you're right, that might be mean.... :)

Teri said...

I love it! Though I have to admit that am shallow enough to follow a sh*t board...I think I'm not as good a person as you!

momof2under3 said...

I just have to say, I totally love your comedy! Every time I'm having a crapper day at home with the kids, I jump online and look through current and past mandi posts. You always make me laugh. I love that you tell it like it is. I love that your kids are crazy too and that you let everyone know it. I love that you don't just have them all dolled up standing in front of a fence taking beautiful pics all the time. You keep it real! Thanks Mandi. LT

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Yep I'm totally following that board. I'm so glad you mentioned that orange chicken recipe as being horrible. I never actually pinned it, but you have saved me in case I was on a blind pinning binge and accidently tried it out someday.

Sherron said...

I check all of my favorite pins, too. It is so frustrating to get a recipe link that doesn't have a recipe, or the science experiments that are total hoaxes and people pin away with them excited to try it. I guess that we use Pinterest with the intention of actually using the information, not always just putting it in the 'some day, maybe' catergory.