Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I Had To Do It.

Speaking of Pinterest 'n all,

I pinned this


(as far as I could find, original source is here)
the other day, and I couldn't get it out of my head. Olive it. Must. . .have. . .wooden flag thingy. . .


I can be kind of obsessive about stuff.

Apparently, that flag up there is made out of a pallet, yo. But I instantly knew a very cheap and easy way to make this mine.


Cedar fence posts, people! 97¢ each. Awesome. Already very rustic looking. 5 feet tall. No need to cut or anything. (They're in the very back of the outdoor garden section at Lowe's. Alllll the way back. You're welcome.)

So, do line of sight these bad boys for the straightest posts you can find. I spent my time looking for non-water damaged ones, and I came home with a seriously twisted board.

And I was mad. Mad. Mad enough to hand out atomic wedgies right and left, mad.

So anywho, once you've picked your boards, go ahead and smell them. Because cedar is a wonderful smell. Isn't it? Of course it is.

So, half got red spray paint and half white.

Used nails this time because nails are just more rustic. Put a board along the top, middle, and bottom and nailed each board down.

Can I just take this moment to say how refreshed I'm feeling to do a simple and fun project that doesn't make me wanna bang my head against the wall?

Thank you:

I am so glad to do a simple and fun project that doesn't make me wanna bang my head against the wall. I feel refreshed.

So,
my stars were a stamp a friend let me borrow.

Thanks, friend.

Now, no one give me crap about the correctness of this flag-thingy mabobber. It's not a real flag. It's a decoration.

Thanks for listening.

A long visit with Mr. Sander,

and I have no idea where I'm gonna put it. But that's okay. I really, really like it. Score.

24 comments:

Rach said...

It's awesome!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

That is AWESOME!!! I have a very patriotic friend that would absolutely love it. I'll have to keep this in mind for the future...

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks great, Mandi! I love the way you did the stars. Do you have somewhere outside you can hang it, like the Pinterest photo? It would look great even incorporated with other stuff like plant containers. And, you're all set for all the upcoming holidays!

SueAnn Lommler said...

I really like it too!! Well done
Hugs
SueAnn

Jennifer said...

Looks awesome =) We brought home some cedar fence posts for our garden a few weeks ago and I loved the smell of them in the carport. I asked my middle child if she liked the smell, she took a big sniff and she said (like it was the best smell ever) "mmmm... smells like The Home Depot...." ;)

Suesan said...

Oh, for the love of a simple project. Such a wonderful one. I love the circle of stars. Excellent job, Mrs. Tremayne. You've done it again!

julie - eab designs said...

Love this one! I especially like your star placement.

Dara said...

LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can't find a home at it for your house, I have a home for it here!!!

Emily said...

We love flags over here! What an awesome project! I'm glad you got to have fun making it!

Layne Bushell said...

perfect for summer!

Jen said...

You made that look to easy! I must have one. Time to go to the depot.

Maureen said...

Mandi,

SO much love this!!! Must make one!!! Now I have 3876 projects to make - thanks! No, really, I need some Fourth of July decor and this is wonderful!!! It would look great on the deck of my house.

Maureen

WhettenWild said...

OOOOOOhhhhhh Love how it turned out! You rock!

GustoBones said...

Dangerous to post such fabulous ideas with your next door neighbor checking out your blog. That does look pretty slick, maybe I could even do it, but of course I won't because that would be way too matchy-matchy come the 4th of July:)!
Looks A-mazing!

lauren @ West Furniture Revival said...

LOVE IT AND IM GOING TO COPY YOUR IDEA. I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE IT, IF THAT WOULD BE OK WITH YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
LAUREN

Renee said...

love it!!!

Ashfay02 said...

I love this!! I love your blog! I'm so glad you kept doing it! Your DIY stuff is so cute and you seem to just be a funny person in general. Have a great day! Thanks for blogging

Kassi @ Truly Lovely said...

Ooh I like this! :) Like the whole rustic, patriotic thing you got going on with it!

The Creative Chickadee said...

I olive your flag too!!! Who knew way back at Lowe's there were cheap cedar posts. SCORE!!!

Kelly @ The Creative Chickadee

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Doesn't it feel for projects like that, the heavens open and the angels sing??? I haven't completed a project in months, but I have a super legit excuse. One I can't discuss here...

Teri said...

Mandi, it's gorgeous! I wish the Canadian flag lent itself so well to the slats!

Aunt Peaches said...

Swell idea! Super cute. Keep it up all year round :)

Harley Mom said...

Nice Job!! I also pinned it from Pinterest but like your easier version better!

RachelK said...

Love your flag! Great job!