Thursday, March 22, 2012

The One Where I Build Something Again.

Years ago,

I lived in Indiana, and I headed off to a Relief Society Meeting (know what a Relief Society Meeting is? Well, double-pound to the chest than sisters ;), and the meeting was about "Organizing Our Homes".

And we all know I need that.

I remember it so well. There was a chick a tad bit older than me that they'd ask to speak, and she was all,

"Everyone says my house is always clean. And it is. And that's because everything is organized. Everything has a place, and so I can clean up fast."

Now, I thought a few things simultaneously:

1. Wow I wish my house was like that.
2. I don't think I can be friends with this lady.
3. This lady is kind of annoying.
and
4. Is she lying? She might be lying.

Tole ya before I might be the worlds most disorganized person. Had a neighbor over the other day and I was putting a few things away in the kitchen, and she was all,

"Did you just. . .throw that bowl into your cabinet?"

Oh. Right. I forget normal people don't do that.

So. . . I'm a tad on the disorganized side in thee ole kitchen. There's just not enough space. And no it doesn't have to do with all my ice cream dishes, okay? Gosh.



Incidentally, my fabulous sister in law and a bloggy buddy, Shelly, hooked me up with these totally awesome banana split dishes when I said I wanted some a while back. So between Rachael and Shelly, I have a freaking awesome collection of banana split dishes.

Shelly sent me some with sprinkles. Sprink-les.

Ladies: thank you. You are the best.

But I digress. See this spot above my fridge?

I thought to myself, "self, you should utilize that blank space over the fridge."

I should, shouldn't I? All we're using it for at this juncture is to house the board games we don't want destroyed by my punks.

(Kids call Dominion "Domination". Heehee. 'S a pretty good name too.)

So, I got to building. Used melamine to escape painting. 'Cause we all know I hate to paint the crap I build.

Clearly this is before I cleaned out the garage. . . anywho. . .

I know-- I could have had cabinets installed, but I like open shelving. I figured this would do a few things for me-- I can display my prettier stuff, whilst taking some pressure off my disastrous cabinets.

So, um,

That up there, is my fail, you know what? I'm not going to call anything a "failure" anymore; everything is a "prototype". That is a prototype of what I want in there.

Eventually. When I'm not discouraged about my prototypes. Show you later.

And? Here we are.

And. . . it was meant to house pretty things.

These are not my pretty things. But holy crap balls it has really helped my kitchen. Drawer beneath the oven? I can close it now.

Aaaahhh. I feel so liberated.

14 comments:

-Lisa said...

aaaahhhh, nice and tidy. All is well with the world again.
Great job Mandi! I love order too.

Lisa Scibilia said...

Holy crap balls? Can I just say what a delight it is to read your posts? Okay well it's a delight.

Loving all over your organization. Dang! First the garage and now this?

I linked to you today. Don't be mad about what I linked too....the one that pales in comparison to your awesome carpentry projects!......

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

I love your blog. I have a cabinet in my kitchen that houses the tupperware, the recycling crate and everything else that has no home. I open the doors, toss something in and close it as fast as i can before something can roll out. ANd I love that you do the same.

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy said...

seriously, how are we not best friends hanging out all the time, we have a love of building and ice cream in common, and we even have the same board games!

BTW It needs trim ;) HA!

Emily said...

I just throw bowls in my cupboards. There is nothing wrong with that and you are way more organized then I am.

Rebecca D said...

Good... Now you can come organize my pantry... Of the "Burmuda Triangle" as my husband calls it... Food goes in and nobody will ever find it again! As in "Please tell me that package of oreos didn't go into the burmuda triange did it... I've been looking for them for at least 30 seconds and can't see them with the minimal effort I am putting forth." (Ok, I ad-libed there, but lets face it, mine is closer to the truth!)

Libby said...

hmmm I always thought if it has a door then it is organized.

I've quit going to the "organize your home" mini-classes 'cuz I'm too cheap to buy the stuff I need to be really organized.

WhettenWild said...

That's awesome. I need a couple of those!

SueAnn said...

Love the cabinet!! Great storage solution.
As for the "clean" lady...I know what you mean..,.she was probably lying.
Ha
Hugs
SueAnn

Suesan said...

The clean lady was on pills or didn't have kids or just needed to be smacked back into reality. Love the cabinet. I have one above my fridge that I can't use because I'm not the Mom from The Incredibles. Wasted space makes me sad.

Are you going to have your way with some moulding on this cabinet? ('kay, that sounded a lot dirtier than I intended - Sorry. :D)

Kara said...

Organization is always a beautiful thing in my book! And it's got that beadboard in the back, so it totally counts as pretty! :)

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Awkward Family Photos has a board game?!? Oh gosh. And speaking of ice cream, we had people over for ice cream after the Hunger Games, and all I had was regular old bowls. But, but, inside those regular old bowls were waffle bowls (that I bought at Albertson's. Shh, don't tell). But I thought of you and all your ice cream dishes, and how epic it would have been with ice cream dishes instead of plain, old white bowls. You inspire me.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

What a difference! This looks great. I really want to build things sometimes, but ever since we got rid of my SUV and only have a Honda, it's hard to fit lumber in so I just get discouraged and never buy any :( It makes living 2 minutes from Home Depot useless.

Teri said...

What an awesome idea! I LOVE that you share your prototypes! I have to admit, I'm kinda like "no one can do such awesome stuff to their house" when I read your blog...but I promise I don't think you're annoying like you did about that lady! LOL