Monday, November 14, 2011

This Is What Happens When I Watch "Hoarders".

Seriously--

it's like I've got a whole new house around here. And a new brain.

Between the hubs and I, we have done massive organization/clean ups/dejunking over the past two weeks. Massive. Like, fill up the recycle and garbage cans in one day, kind of projects.

My linen closet? Used to look like I took every towel, blanket, and sheet we'd ever owned, rolled them into a ball, stuffed it inside, and then leaned against the door to make it close. You'll close and you'll like it, door.

I never knew I could create such orderly-ness out of such chaos.

Dungeon storage room? Couldn't walk in it.

Hubs tackled this one. Almost cried when I saw the entire space stacked, swept, and walk-able. Threw myself into his arms, I did.

We wept together. It was beautiful.

Not really. Because we are not that lame.

Seriously though-- almost every "secret" space we have has been gutted, cleansed, and exorcized.

ALMOST. Don't you dare walk into my closet. Yet.

Hall closet? I can find the floor.

Under the stairs storage space? Refreshed.

I can't tell you how easy it was to close the door and fuggedaboutit.

And then I saw "Hoarders". No, I was NOTHING like those poor, therapy-needing people, but it sure makes you want to get off thee ole rump and get to work.

Perhaps I should watch regularly.

Anywho, to make a long story short (TOO LATE), something had to be done about my boy's closet. It was beyond a bomb/tornado/impossible to find anything disaster-catastrophe.

And this was after I spent an afternoon cleaning it out.

This idea of little storage cubbies inside the closet got us by for about 0.5 seconds.
Three boys in one small closet. What can I say?

Summer and too-small clothes made its way down to storage.

And I was as surprised as you to find my son pant-less.

Typical.

I'd like to veer off topic for a moment to let you know that I now have a new word to describe this week's awful, awful sickness:

"Diarrhomit."

Let's just say this new word had much to do with why my son was pant-less. Let's just say I investigated. And I screamed. And I wondered how it could possibly be smeared from toilet to tub. And then I knew why my son was indeed, pant-less.

So what's a mommy to do? Besides clean it up? And gag? Search pinterest from some inspiray-shon:


But do I dare take the doors off this closet? Do I dare expose this area for others to see?

I dare. I double dare.


Took the doors right off and got to work. What are we talking about?

Oh, I got lazy. Just bought some "shelfmaid"'s from Lowe's, assembled them, bracketed them to the wall "in case" (bwhahahaha, as if it won't happen) someone tries to climb them, and I'm liking this better already.

And then it just. . . snowballed. How about an extra couple a rod hangers?

Couple extra shelves? Why the heck not.

Molding. Everything needs molding. Duh.

Hooks for the boys' school clothes? Mais oui. Can't make it to school on time without 'em.

And much to my surprise-- I really kind of. . . like it.

It's almost like a new space to decorate.

It makes their room even feel. . . bigger.

Who knew?

13 comments:

terri said...

Great job. It looks amazing!

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

Love it! Love the extra storage! And all those stripey shirts too!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Very nice. I love the end result!

Maybe I should watch that Hoarders show for some motivation, too!

Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life said...

I sort of love and hate the show Hoarders all at the same time. Every time I watch it I want to get rid over all of our crap. And I mean all of it - just to not ever end up like that. It is good motivation if you can get past how depressing it is.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Oh.my.gosh.its like we have the same brain. Closet doors in my girl's room? Off. Shelves? Organized.
No molding over there though...impressive!
So what are we doing next week?

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

PS So sorry about the diarrhomit!!!! You poor mama! But cute photo op, so all's good right?

Emily said...

Oh my gosh! I so need to do that with my girls closet!! Theirs is a mess!! Now you have me thinking Ü

Attempting Aloha said...

Doesn't it feel so good to purge? Ahem...but not the diarrhomit kind...

The closet looks perfect!

Aloha,
Charlie

SueAnn said...

Wow!! Yes! Hoarders will do that to you!! I have watched and then purged myself.
Love the boys closet! Looks terrific!
Hugs
SueAnn

COTTAG3 said...

Looks great! That show Hoarders will do it to you. I go from feeling awesome about my house since our decor looks minimalist compared to that all the way to feeling panicked that we are on the road to having a house like that in no time. Then, I purge too.

Pressed Petals said...

"Perhaps I should watch regularly." that show motivates us every time. hmmm...maybe we need to watch it again. great job!

Kathleen said...

We watched alittle of the show last night. Unfortunately my husband is a hoarder of sorts because you never know when you might need......... and ......... and ......... I even have to be sneaky about throwing things out because if he sees an old ripped undershirt he says that will make a good rag! How many rags does one man need? :)

Teri said...

It's awesome! What a great looking closet! (Hoarders has the same effect on me...though you might not be able to tell from the state of my house right now ;)