Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Hills Are Alive, With The Sound Of Hardwood.

It is finished.

My new, beloved hardwood floor-- finished. At 12:05 a.m. on Thursday night, to be exact.

I don't know how my kids slept through all that banging, the sounds of all the movies we listened to on tv while we worked ("Last of The Mohicans", "Commando", and "Enter The Dragon"-- it was like Jeffro's favorite lineup of movies. It was crazy coincidental).

Do ya want a before and after?

No. I won't do it. I have my pride.

Do ya know what the moral of the story is to all this? Oh. Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway.

When I wanted to buy this house, and the mommy-o walked through, all she had to say was, "I love the house. But I don't know about that carpet. . ."

Over and over she said that. "Hmm. . . that carpet. . . I don't know. . ."

I'd have bought the house anyways 'cause I love it that much, but, BUT! Moral: Listen to your mommy-o. Unless she tells you you look adorable in hammer pants and a matching shirt. Then you can disregard that.

Anywho--

I want to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! to the mommy-o and the daddy-o for coming over and getting me started on this massive project.

And for not laughing at my awkwardness when I first started with the nailer. And for cleaning my nasty kitchen.

Can I just say a couple things before I absolutely humiliate myself with the before shots?

First- there are few times in my home-owning life that I've felt this beat-- this absolutely worked-- this "I don't want to do one more project as long as I live" type feeling. I'm sure it will last for about 2 more days.

And second? I finally feel like my house is clean. Like it is possible to make my main floor look sanitary. And it's a miracle.

Alright, alright. Let's see that carpet, just one.more.time. (Don't forget the longer title of this carpet: "The Carpet Satan Reserves For Bad Moms In Hell").

All I have to say is,

Can, um, anyone tell where the sofa might have been??

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Hello! I'm right here! I can hear what you're saying! Alright. This shame fest is over. Let's get to the good stuff.

Makes my old hardwood look a little lackluster, to be frank.

Sigh.


I think I'll leave the space open for a while. You know, maybe use it as my own, personal, dance studio.

'Cause I've got moves you've never seen.

33 comments:

WhettenWild said...

Looks so good! Can I use it as my own personal work-out room over Christmas? Cause I've got moves YOU've never seen. LOL.
No? Ok. Worth a try.

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

it's gorgeous! and so worth your hard work! I love it!

Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life said...

The floors are beautiful! Great job.

Anonymous said...

I'll come over and do a jig with you. It looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

By the way, I love your hair in that last picture. Love- love it. You are so cute!

Janelle said...

ok, I was signed into another account- The last 2 comments were by me- Janelle. So now I am such a nerd that I am writing 3 comments on your blog. sorry.

K Blue said...

That last photo is perfection.
And you are amazing.
And so are your floors.
Awesome.

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

How beautiful!!! This turned out great! I'm so curious to see what you'll be up to next.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I can't believe you could get that high off the ground after all that work, impressive! And so are the floors? Now because I know every great project spurs on 10 more, what do you have to change since you put the floors down? ;)

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I just showed your floors to my husband and said, "See Mandi got to get hardwood floors". He said, "Hmph". It looks amazing. Your last photo is so cool. How'd you do that?

Angela said...

Looks super. You are woman. I hear you roar. I'm a wimp by comparison. And just in time for the holidays. Enjoy.

Michelle Johnnie said...

Gorgeous!!!!!! I'm jealous!!!!

lauren @ West Furniture Revival said...

THE FLOORS TURNED OUT BEAUTIFUL! love the color the variations in the wood are gorgeous.

Jen said...

YAAAAAY Mandi!!!!! It's beautiful. Are you going to put your lamp post back in? Meister made the princess some dance lights that flash to the beat of the music. I'll be right over! Have a disco ball? That would be fun.

Lori said...

You make me even tireder and more sore than I am from my little project. Of course I have a few years on ya. We tiled our hall bath, 23 year old daughter and I did! Pictures to come and I haven't posted in about two weeks. 26 coming for Thanksgiving, now off to buy a few more pieces of baseboard material!

Looks fabulous by the way. JUMP!

What's next said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I also have the carpet from Satan!

julie - eab designs said...

looks F A B U L O U S ! truly fabulous.

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts said...

ah-maz-ing!!!

COTTAG3 said...

It's beautiful, just beautiful! The first thought I had was wow, her house is so clean! Jealous? You bet I am. I wouldn't put the furniture back just yet either. Let the kids play slip and slide in their socks for a day or two, have a dance party and then put the furniture back.
On a different note, I noticed in one of the pictures you have an old telephone on the wall. I have one of those and I just don't see them very often in others' homes. It's such a cool conversation piece.

Dara said...

As the previous owner of that house....one that hated the carpet as well.......AMAZING! It is like a different house all together! You have done that house proud! Every detail is really fantastic! Great job! your hard work paid off for sure.

Ann Marie | white house, black shutters said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

I can't think of any words but WOW. That is some amazing hardwood flooring you've got and I could. not. be happier for you!!!!!!

love that last picture at the end :))

Emily said...

It looks amazing! I love it!!

Kari said...

It's glorious! I get to take up my icky crapet (yep, I call it crapet) when we get our tax return this year! Bring on the hard wood!

Kari

Shirley said...

Hmm, you do have some good hair going on in that last pic! totally overshadows the gorgeous floor. Oh yeah, that's what I was supposed to be commenting on, right. Flooring is definitely one of those "make it or break it" items. You and the hubs did a fabbo job there, girlie. I know what you mean about feeling clean, hardwood will do that for ya every time. Now get crackin' on putting up the tree girl, it's the holidays!! :) So have a very happy Thanksgiving.

Make Me Over said...

It looks amazing! :)

calikas said...

woooow, that is incredible.

Use it as a dance studio, do it! ha

Trina said...

It's SOOOOOOO pretty!! And you are simply amazing. SOOO PRETTY!!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

That looks effing gorgeous Mandi, and it only took (insert # of hour it took) hours, but now you have nice floors FOREVER. That's how I like to look at it because than 20 or 30 hours doesn't look so bad :)

Mrs. Prince said...

your home is BEAUTIFUL! i love the hardwood!

loveatfirstcartwheel said...

It looks amazing!!! I know how much work that is cuz my husband did our kitchen and refinished the floors in our living room when I was huge pregnant! You were smart getting the stuff that's already finished. We didn't and it was SO MUCH WORK!!!

Pattie said...

Looks fantastic! I can't believe you guys can do such amazing work. Good job!

Jean said...

PLEASE tell me what color is on your walls! LOVE it! I tried to find it on your site, but had no luck. Gorgeous floors. I need to get rid of my carpet.

Teri said...

Mandi, it's gorgeous! I'm so impressed you two did that yourselves! :) By the way, my mom DID say that my hammer-pants looked awesome, but now I'm not so sure...