Sunday, September 18, 2011

The One Where I'm A Cheapskate.

You recall my boys' nautical themed room, don'tcha?

You know, this one, with the faux shutters?

This one, with the little lil ocean-y alphabet card thingys that they're totally getting too old for? I promised myself I wouldn't cry. . .


Well, butt munches numbers 1 and 2 are supposed to be reading for 20 minutes before bedtime. Alright fine-- I chose their reading time to be at bedtime to calm them all down. Happy now?

Anywho, the Jacester needed a nightstand with a lamp. He just did.

This is where I let you in on how cheap I am:

"$100 for a freakin' nightstand? Is that some kind of sick joke?"

Even $50's too much, far as I'm concerned.

I's going to make my own piece of crap nightstand. It needed to be a certain (small) size anyways. Headed out to the gay-rage to the scraps that are coming out of my butt and got to work on something with a rustic feel:


Used scraps as spacers, and voila. Where'd I get the slats that make up the top of this nightstand?

Here.

Hehehehehehe.

There's just some sort of sick irony to this.

And then. . . I stopped. I wanted this fugly nightstand to be interesting, somehow. A little character, perhaps.

And so, I called the Daddy-o and the Mommy-o for a little inspiray-shon.

"How about ____?"

"Thought a that. Don't know how to make it work."

How about _____?"

"Yeah thought of that, too."

"How about _______??"

"YES! THAT'S IT!"


What was their different idea?

Oh, ya know. A little a this.

With a little a that.


Yes, friends-- in a momentary loss of sanity, I decided to have a hanging nightstand.

The biggest, oldest looking rope I could find, a hook from a joist into the ceiling,

and the boys now have the first hanging nightstand in existence. Possibly. Maybe. Probably not.

And now my little homies can read at night.

Or sneak 2nd dinner up to their beds. Or play toys in their undies. Whatever.


And ya know? This has kinda opened a can of worms, 'cause they have an empty corner, and I'm totally wanting to do this:


Totally fun! Totally awesome! Totally impractical?

Mais oui.


18 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I see so many things on pinterest that make me think hey Mandi could make that! I see you staying busy for a long long time. What kid wouldn't want a hanging night stand. So tell me...have they used it as a swing yet?

Bronwen said...

Wow, that's really really cool! I'm sure lots of people would pay $100 for a hanging table like that ;)

SueAnn said...

Love the nightstand!!! Well done!! I can see a whole new "room" coming now. Ha!! Have fun!!
Hugs
SueAnn

JennRose said...

I adore your themed room!
BUT I can totally picture your little ones swinging on that nightstand! It IS a piece of wood hanging from rope....

Jenn

COTTAG3 said...

They're going to have the coolest bedroom on the block for sure. That's a supercool nightstand! (Love the 3 buoy :)

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

mandi girl, you are amazing! i love this!! so wish you lived closer and yes it is getting cool here but that didn't stop hubby from wakeboarding yesterday (without a wetsuit). i drove the boat in full gear: swimsuit and sweats..but my toes didn't even touch the water!! hugs, cathy

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts said...

yeah, I thought it'd be super cute to do a hanging chair (see: http://www.sugarbeecrafts.com/2010/11/reading-nook-hanging-chair.html) - - and it was, til the neighbor boy decided to give my toddler rides in it - now there are lovely gauges all over the walls - - wall scars of love, I guess.....

Katie Johnson said...

I love the idea, but can see it ending poorly in my home.. It's too much like a swing, and there are children in my life who are waaaaay too much like Tarzan.. I just can't have nice hanging things around here!!! But it looks fantastic!!!!

calikas said...

Omg that is seriously amazing!! I love it!! Great job.

Emily said...

Oh my gosh! That is such a cute idea. You are just brilliant!

Rebecca D said...

It is super cute... My girlies would have totally been swinging on that and broken bones and dented dry wall would have been my new reality...

Megan said...

so you posted this exactly YESTERDAY. and Im wondering- as the mom of 2 lovely heathers, i mean boys... if your hanging nightstand is still hanging??? or if your own little beats have swung it off the ceiling joist yet??? ;)

Megan said...

now reading the other comments- im CLEARLY not the only one who has wondered this same thing... lol

Leca Unplugged said...

Genius... pure and simple. I love it. Go for the swing but be prepared to fill in a few dry wall patches when things get a little crazy.

Jen said...

That is so cute! Hopefully you threatened them with their lives so that they don't ever swing on it! But if they do, I'm sure you'd be like me, camera in hand to take pictures! ;)

Indiri @ Turning Stones said...

That looks amazing! I'm sure the boys must love it, too.

A small word to the wise on the swing: put something behind it to protect the wall. They will swing and it will bang and the wall will dent (I have to patch a hole...)

Heather said...

I love the side table and I think ya gotta do the hanging couch. How perfect would this be for reading those bed time stories on?

Teri said...

Holy smokes! That is so freakin' awesome! Love the bench too...but I just know I'd put a huge hole in the wall once I got to swinging...