Sunday, July 31, 2011

When Lumber Attacks.

This, is part 1 of a series entitled, "What to do when scraps are coming out of your butt."

Elongated title: "What to do when scraps are coming out of your butt and you can't park your car or walk through your gay-rage without tripping on a piece of lumber."

This could be a long series, as the scraps are mating and multiplying overnight. Hold on to your pants.

Let's do this!

So, one afternoon while I watched my kids play in the pool/spray each other with the hose/cry/tell on each other, I lazily flipped through a Pottery Barn catalog.

Oh, Pottery Barn, you tease. I just love how I always look past what's for sale and fall in love with the randomly placed extras:

Like all those dominoes up on the window sill. THOSE ARE AWESOME!

Gathered up some of my nast-asty 2x4 scraps,

I mean, clearly, it's the scraps of 2x4's that are the problem in the gay-rage.

And NO, this has nothing to do with the bigger project that got put on hold 'cause I got a full length 2x4 stuck in the table saw.

No, Silly.

Now comes the fun part--

I set my saw to cut just a little groove into my piece of wood right down the center, and then using my hand dandy drill and oh, I believe a 3/4'' drill bit, I began making my marks.

Dudes, check it!

How fun is this?! I haven't done a 20 minute crapt in ages. Now, don't worry about the dirtyness of these scraps-- Mr. Sander took care of that.

A little black paint, couple coats of shellac--

Ta Da. What is it with me and oversized gaming pieces??


This is soooo not their final resting place. They're part of a much bigger plan. Muhahahaha.

14 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Oh how fun! I played with that tool once that makes the circles. It was fun. I need to learn how to use tools for real stuff. Love your dominoes. What did you do about the stuck board?

Emily said...

we can play a lifesize version of the mexican train game!

Lori said...

Huh, can't leave us hanging about the stuck board. Your creation is perfect. Love pottery barn too.

Rebecca D said...

Love them! I can't wait to see what you plan to do wih them...

calikas said...

Love!

Kerrye said...

Wouldn't a full set of those, double 15's of course, make an awesome game of backyard mexican train dominoes?!??!

Lisa said...

Awesome! I would be surprised AT ALL if you start carving your own life sized chess pieces next! You're the fun mama.

WhettenWild said...

Those are awesome!!

CaressaRenae said...

Love this!!

Indiri said...

Thought 1: OMG, my garage looks just like that! Hahaha

Thought 2: Hmm, methinks I know how that 2x4 got there :)

Thought 3: Those are cool! I love your dominoes project. I'm going to need to do a few scrap projects, I think.

SueAnn said...

Love the over-sized game pieces!!!
They are great!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Megan said...

somehow I missed those in the catty... I NEED to make some. I have a HIGH window ledge begging for SOMETHING!

Lisa said...

I fell head over heels for the dominoes too. Was there anything else even on that page???? :)
Love how your project came out!

Teri said...

That is awesome! They look so great! I wish we had Pottery Barn here just so I could get the catalogue! :)