Saturday, July 9, 2011

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

I think I should tell you, that I consider my boudoir done. Medium, medium-well.

And, you know, it only took me a month. But you know me; I like to take on multiple projects, allllllatonce. It's part of my mental situation. Perhaps you remember the before before?


And, of course, you know I built me a window seat and flanked it with built-ins:

Some more pillows for my kids to throw to the floor, and a handle to open the storage in the center and reveal my severed heads, and I'm gonna call this space done.

Honestly, we have more bookcases in this house now then we have books.

This is the "hers" side, with some of my faves. "A Connecticut Yankee", and Mark Twain = sheer genius. Am I right?

And then of course there's the "his" side. With like,

"Art And History of Rome". And some other crap. Some white paint, a little caulking, and they look much more seamless and "built-in". 'Cause you know, that was the intention.

And my sign I made last year?

This one? Inspired by the best song by the best band? EV-AR? I had to put it back up. It might be an awkward spot, but I love it there. So take that decorating police!

And of course you remember the staining and shellacking of my bed, from this:

to this:

And I really wanna tell you that the white has stayed just perfect. 'Cept that would make my pants on fire, and hanging from a telephone wire, as I just noticed two little cheeto finger prints this morning.

But quite possibly the largest of changes was this disaster/catastrophe.

I have no shame.

Quite possibly that vacuum's in the same spot. It's very probable.

But my own little space:

I still love not getting ready in my nast-asty bathroom.

And behold my late 80's, Julia Roberts hair!

That's what a vanity table can get ya. 80's hair.

Really though--

moving those computers out of my room has significantly cut down on traffic in here. I can move, I can breathe; the muted colors makes it feel much more crisp, clean, and captivating.

Those are the 3 C's I needed.

While I am aware that blogland has plenty of people taking down the fan for a chandelier, it's just not gonna happen. Helps us survive the summer nights.

In short,

we now actually like our bedroom.

And so do our butt munches. Much to our dismay.

18 comments:

Janelle said...

I love your bedroom too. It makes me happy that you are happy. I've got to get our computer out of our bedroom too. I think it's a good idea.

By the way, we have got to get together. I think the closing of the beach was temporary.

Megan said...

that bed is GORGEOUS!!!!

and i wish i had a bayed window in my bedroom instead of the biggest, ugliest, sliding glass doors you have ever seen.

we are in the before stage still... not the before before- because that was just not livable- but still before. the after is kinda coming together in my head. sorta.

Dara Lynn said...

All that hard work really came together!!!! It looks great!!! Butt munches??? Girl... I need to stop reading your blog late at night...I think I just woke up one of my butt munches laughing!!!!

SueAnn said...

Love the bedroom! The window seat built ins are fantastic.
The last pic is so precious!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I think your bedroom is perfect. THe white is worth some cheeto stains. Your son sleeping in the bed such a peaceful photo. I love taht you always have a project going on. You know your my favorite photographer and projecter. (hmmm you know what I mean right?)

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I think your bedroom is perfect. THe white is worth some cheeto stains. Your son sleeping in the bed such a peaceful photo. I love taht you always have a project going on. You know your my favorite photographer and projecter. (hmmm you know what I mean right?)

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I think your bedroom is perfect. THe white is worth some cheeto stains. Your son sleeping in the bed such a peaceful photo. I love taht you always have a project going on. You know your my favorite photographer and projecter. (hmmm you know what I mean right?)

Dara said...

From someone that hated that bedroom too....your transformation is Effing AMAZING!!!!!! Excuse my french! I love all the touches you have done to that house but the bedroom rocks now!

Emily said...

I love your bedroom! It looks very nice and relaxing. I so want built in book shelves. I just haven't found some place to put them.

P.S. I still absolutly love your sign. Definitely the Best.Band.Ever!

The DeMille Family said...

I so agree on the fan! Awesome room!

Layne Bushell said...

beUtiful...it's a-may-zing to quote you! Can't wait to see the next mandi installment!

calikas said...

Your bedroom is GORGEOUS!! I am so envious.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

This is awesome, I've been trying to redo our room for a while, and I'm just getting around the the painting portion of it. All in all, yours looks awesome.

Also, if you're looking to fill up your bookshelves more, I just started reading the most delightful series called "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel", you should definitely check it out. They are pretty quick reads, I've already finished one book and am halfway through the second, and I only started Saturday night.

Jen said...

I LOVE your room!! I wish I could get my butt in gear and just get mine done already. It's been "in progress" for a year now. UGH. WHY can't I make it priority #1??!??! Everyone elses has been done...twice!

We're ceiling fan people, too. I just don't know how people can sleep without one, I tell ya what. I'm just tryin' to come up with something clever to convert one from an ugly brass crapper to something chandelier-ish and jaw dropping. It's not happening, I have sever creative blockage. I'm sure Mandi #2 could totally do it though! She's totally talented like that!!

Lisa said...

You totally rock the Julia Roberts 80s Pretty Woman hair!! And you're not so bad with the carpentry stuff either :)

julie - eab designs said...

You go girl! Fab job. Seriously, we need to get you on HGTV. Love it.

darl_jo said...

love love love your sign... must get/buy/pay someone to make me one... right now, starting over with the hubby, it kinda hits home spot on.

the room is AMAZING! I think you are still my number one inspiration :)

Teri said...

This is such a transformation! I'm looking at repainting, etc. in our bedroom, so thanks for the inspiration! I wonder if I have the patience to do wainscoting?