Saturday, July 23, 2011

Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil

Dudes, I'm like an old granny, now.

Seriously? My garden?

It's like my 5th child. My very, very loved and well cared for 5th child.

Not that all my other children aren't cared for in the same way. . . what kind of mom do you think I am? Geez.

But really, I am out here every day tending to it.

Waaaay more than I need to.

And to think that when I worked my A off on this, the thought popped in my head more than once,

"Ohmagosh. . . what if I am putting all this work and money into something I never want to take care of and it goes to weeds and it looks like crap and and and. . . "

Not so, my friends. Not so.

That's not to say that I did very smart things.

Like, um, plant 3 squash plants in one teensy 2x6 area? Yee-ah.

I've got the fru-its of the devil my labor pouring out onto my lawn.


And, who in their right mind plants 3 tomato plants and A PUMPKIN in one teeny space?

Okay, go ahead and laugh. What was I thinking? That pumpkin was from a seed! And now the leaves are bigger than my head!

It's trying to take over. Mark it's territory. It's gonna pull a haunch muscle doing what it's doing.


Oh, and let us not forget this little diddy:

Of planting 5 seeds of CANTALOUPE in one space. Don't you judge me! I thought I was gonna kill everything inside! I thought nothin' stood a chance!

How wrong I was.

Next year, I am totally starting from seed.
I am such a gramma.


Want some zucchini?

17 comments:

Jen said...

THAT is AWESOME!!!!!! You make me jealous that I don't plant veggies! But why would I? TWO of my four munchkins are allergic to fresh fruits and veggies! SAD, SO, SO SAD!

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

I want to know if you get any cantaloupe.

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I have been wondering about your garden. I hope you keep telling us about it as the summer goes along. I am glad you plants are growing so much. Now next year you will know just how to plan it. I was wondering...your camera that died....was it a 50D. I feel like I still have so much to learn. I don't think I will ever have Mandy photos but I am gonna keep trying. It's about time for a kid photo post from you by the way.

Teri said...

Ooooh, it turned out GORGEOUS! What a lovely space, and such a learning experience. I'm sure next year will be even better...and in the meantime....lots of zucchini bread for the kiddos! :) You've inspired me...maybe I'll get out and take some pics of my (far inferior) garden tomorrow! :)

Layne Bushell said...

I love your garden and I love seeing you in it when I drive by. I want zucc's. Mine didn't get planted this year because we had a squash bug eat it the last 2 years :( I love zucc...you can doorbell ditch it on our porch any ol' day!

Janelle said...

I have walked past your house the last few nights and was highly disappointed that you were not weeding in your garden. I really wanted to chat. Maybe we should coordinate better.

But I did go check out your pumpkin leaves that are bigger then your head. and I was amazed at your cantalope that the last time I saw them were under the ground.

Your garden is amazing.

Mrs BC said...

Your garden is so beautiful! There is nothing better to feed your family than fruit & veges you have grown yourself, well done. I think the more you tend a garden the more it tends you.
x

gina3 said...

Oh, how funny. This brings back memories. My parents did the exact same thing in our backyard when I was growing up. It took on a life of its own and we were giving away vegetables right and left. I think I saw on Funky Junk's link up 7 things to do with zucchini. You might visit that :)

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Wow, it really took off. But my husband did the same thing. He insisted on doing the garden and I warned him about planting too close. My watermelon has taken over the yard. I lost all the zucchini plants. They blooms alright but never a veggie from them. Then I discovered why. After my cucumber had a nice harvest they got overrun with pickleworms! Disgusting. Watch out for them!!

Emily said...

Your garden looks amazing! It's going to be so nice when all though veggies are ready to eat.

calikas said...

Your garden looks great!!

James and Mary said...

i totally caught your "so i married an axe murderer" reference. that's only my favorite movie of all time! and your garden looks gorg.

Dede said...

Wow, that's incredible! I've been growing a garden for years and I NEVER have been able to get cantaloupe to work for me. Jealous! You obviously are doing a great job, so hooray for you!!

WhettenWild said...

Your garden rocks! And its beautiful! And you actually have things growing in it! Far better than I can do!

Rebecca D said...

I have to admit I ma soooo jealous of your little garden... I didn't get one thing planted this year... I really, really wanted to, but nope... Didn't happen... Not even herbs...

stormyyskyy said...

i will so totally take any squash, tomatoes, or any veggies that you can't use. Zuchini, when peeled & shredded, makes great bread & cookies that you can freeze (i've also frozen just the zuchini, but the freezer i had it in got turned off & it was thrown out). I wish we could grow our own but since we live on an AF base, we can't. Just email me if you really want to give some away.

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh Mandi, your garden is doing so well!! That is so exciting isn't it? Especially when you started plants from seeds????? Wow....that is some serious awesomeness. It's fun mucking around in the garden isn't it?