Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Lovin', Had Me A Blast.

For about the last, oh, 8 years, I've always had a baby at my hip.

Typically, I'm holding onto a toddler with the other hand.

To me? I think of it as having my hands tied behind my back, if you will.

Makes it derned difficult to take the whole fam dam to the pool, or a carnival, or any of those fun summer activities all by myself, if you know what I'm sayin'. Consequently,

past summer's have been a tad on the lame side 'round here.


So,

I'm determined to make this summer freaking awesome, and with that, thus begins:

"EPIC SUMMER 2011".
What do I have in mind? Well, thanks for asking.

My fabulous sister gave me the idea of "Summer Bucks":

they're earned for various good works by my homies--

they've been workin' hard, saving them up in their lil Summer Bucks pouches:
(and if the 3 year old could earn negative bucks, he would.)

man, it's nice to have willing, slave labor.

They came up with all the activities they wanted to earn:

(no, they're not earning a can of sardines; they want to play the game "sardines". But you already knew that.)


And they came up with the cost of each. Hence, the totally random numbers.

Some of 'em are big things, some are small,

and some of them we are NEVER EVER DOING. EVER.

But it's still listed, as I don't like to crap on other people's ideas. No matter how insane they might be.

Anywho, as my children aren't actually out of school yet-- (it's called year around school. If you don't know what this is, well, then, you're a lucky bastage)

I've got time to prepare, baby. Perhaps you noticed the pirate treasure hunt on that little list? I am all over it.

Clues are ready.

And no, the clues aren't out of my own noggin-- I'm waaaay too lazy for that. Got mine here.

I just designed them:


(pssst: you can totally steal mine.)



(click for bigger/download.)


And they'll use a doubloon! And every clue will be sealed with red wax! And clues will be booby trapped! And Chunk and Data will come along! And and. . . .

Sometimes I take things too far.

Which is why I picked up this totally rad treasure chest from the hob lob,

and then gave it a couple coats of my usual Dark Walnut stain. And 2 coats of poly.

Can you imagine this awesome thing filled with chocolate coins??! And maybe a toy or two for each kid?!

And, oh, the plans for this year's awesome Lemonade Stand!!



Um,

there's a good possibility I'm enjoying this more than my kids will.

15 comments:

Nicole said...

You are too too awesome! I love the summer bucks idea.... do you give them $1 for each chore/good behavior or are things worth more? I have a 3 and 5 year old and am thinking this might be fun to do this summer (although I have a feeling my 3 year old is a bit like yours... would be in the negative!!). Love the treasure hunt as well! Thanks for sharing your printables!

Nicole
www.oh-my-words.blogspot.com

Julie @ Pickles and I Scream said...

"Shake a beehive and get honey"...your kids are AWESOME!

Great idea, will have to save it for when my little one is old enough to want to shake a beehive :)

Veronica said...

I am loving the pirate treasure hunt. Just so happens I picked up a treasure chest not too long ago, not knowing what purpose it would serve. Now it will be something other than a hiding place for my 4-year old. Thanks for sharing!

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

first. i've been singing that grease song wrong all my life. im used to it though cause i though the paradise city song was very nice city. but whats.

love everything. especially the the shake the beehive. i'm going to make 300 of those bucks and mail them to your kids. lol.

and i am so going to steal some riddles....anything to keep the kids entertained!

Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life said...

Awesome summer ideas. I love the completely random cost of the summer bucks list. My son would totally do that. And I love, love, love the pirate treasure hunt. Going to steal that one! Thanks for sharing. :)

gina3 said...

Lucky lucky kids who will have the most awesome summer and remember how great their childhood was because they have such a cool mom!

Emily said...

Can I come to the treasure hunt?? You know how much I like treasure hunts.

We could set up boody traps, I mean booby traps, be quiet, shhhh

WhettenWild said...

The Clues are so cool! Can't wait to see the kids do the treasure hunt. Can you make one for me? That looks fun =) LOL.

Banaghaisge said...

This is why you want to play pirates, isn't it: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/n1N5XX8YOlUhfMTHcdVRAeLuczarrkQjbrUC_kozaIA?feat=embedwebsite
And I found a tute on making swords from pool noodles, just the other day - shall go hunting for it. Actually her swords were over achiever swoeds made of PVC plumbing pipe that would not only cost a fortune but hurt like billyo when a kid whacked his brother or baby sis. Shall go hunting... Be right back, stay away from bees...
Jasmine in Oz

Banaghaisge said...

Here it is. Well it isn't the one I found but another. There were even tutes on how to make LIGHT SABRES - could do that one with my boys (never mind they are 23, 25, 35, 36 - they will LOVE them!).
http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/toy-pirate-swords.html
Though I would forgo the Martha SEWN covers and just wack a lot of gaffer tape around them. BUT you could glue on a few jewels...
Keep posting photos. Please.
Hugs, Jasmine in Oz

Banaghaisge said...

...and episode three:
I just found this on Pinterest adn followed it back to the source for you:
http://inspiremebaby.com/2011/06/20/inspire-sibling-session-by-bard-photography/
How cute is that for a hot day! Maybe you could get an old bath from the recyclers and set it up in the backyard for the summer...
Ooroo, Jasmine in Oz
PS Last comment (for now), xxxx

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

sounds like it is going to be great when your kiddos finally get out of school~yikes!! we do pool bucks, pick weeds and you earn some cash to spend on sugary snacks at the pool. now if only the weather would cooperate!! luv your creativity!! hugs, cathy

Lisa said...

You're the fun mom in the hood!
I have a great treasure chest cake recipe that you must make for your little pirates - I'll find a pic and send it to you!

Pressed Petals said...

seems i can comment, so i am catching up. love your summer chart. good thing to do this when they are young. teenagers just want to get out of the house and hang out with friends.

Teri said...

I wish I could come to your totally epic summer. I'll be Sloth. Heyyyyy yoouuuuuu guuuuyyyyyyyyys! By the way? The "shake a beehive" thing almost made me pee my pants. Thanks the kiddos for me. ;)