Thursday, June 23, 2011

When excitement starts a rollin' so you're cleaning out your colon.

Heads are about to roll over here--

my 3 boys? They share a room.

To my everlasting torture, they share a room.

They love it-- don't feel sorry for them.
But the 2 hours before bedtimes shenanigans?

I'm about to bust some heads. I know it's still light at bedtime-- I get it. But when your kids won't wake up for school in the morning and are crying 'cause they're tired? Kinda tends to grate on the ole nerves.

Case in point?

Please regard my incognito, secret spy, around-the-corner shot of my little butt munches, not 30 seconds after I told them to calm down:

Please regard that my middle child is a blur, as he is hopping from bed to bed.

Now, it's not that we don't have another room; we do. They enjoy sharing a room. Pissing their parents off. Breaking their beds. And so forth.

So, this "other" room--

it's not much talked about. Perhaps it's because we're embarrassed.

And, you know, it's got a couple cute things,

like the kids' simple growth chart on the door,

or the Pottery Barn Kids chalkboard knockoff I made eons ago,

But frankly,
our "playroom" is the red-headed stepchild of the family.

Notice that I'm still not showing you this disaster catastrophe of a room in it's entirety.

Now, I could be a normal person, and just like, move a bed in here, rearrange a few things, and call it good.

But I've never claimed to be normal.


I believe it was pinterest that got me totally, completely, head over heels obsessed with window beds.

You know, window beds? Bed nooks? Whatever you wanna call them?
So much excitement. I mean, full out I'm about to wet my pants excitement.

I can't stop thinking about them.


Oh, my gosh Becky--
look at that bed.

It is so big.

Don't believe I have this many books to necessitate such a bookcase.

But it is truly fabulous.

This 'uns my favorite.

Bet you'll never guess why. (cough-molding -cough)

It's the cow. Man, I love cows.

But alas--

I'll be using this awesomeness as my guide. My muse. My standard that I can never possibly live up to and therefore, will be disappointed in any case.

I'm moving forward anyway! Got permission from the hubs! Told me he wants nothing to do with it! The work has already begun, people! Already had an injury!

Go me!

26 comments:

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

i LOVE those beds. LOVE them. I have 2 kiddos and the do NOT share a room, but when we've vacationed lately we've let them stay in the same room at the hotel and can I tell you that I had no idea their resourcefulness in staying awake. I could not imagine how families where kids share rooms ever get them to go to sleep! Good to know they don't!

Been lurking around your blog for a while so I thought I'd actually comment. Love it!

Lisa said...

That picture of the boys in "going to bed" mode is just priceless! Love it.
So what lucky munchkin is going to get this room of awesomeness????

Renee said...

LOVE these!! I can't wait to see it when you're done! :)

{P use to do the same things as your boys...then I got a black out roman shade - a mom's best friend!}

Laurie said...

I'm thrilled that it's not just me who deals (not so gracefully at times) with kids refusing to settle down for bedtime! This week has been especially trying.

And I love that you just said "Oh my gosh Becky..." One of my most oft repeated lines...haven't pulled that one out for a while, though. You made me smile.

Miranda said...

Yeah, I'd say I'm jealous!! Those beds are gorgeous. I can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

mak'n'cheese said...

That picture of the boys before bed made me LOL. I have an 8 month old boy and I can only imagine what my life will be like in the next few years (YIKES)!

I have been lurking around for a while and just wanted to say that I love your blog!! Thanks for always being so honest and hilariously funny :)

Emily said...

Those beds are awesome! I can't wait to see the finished project!

Emily said...

Those beds are awesome! I can't wait to see the finished project!

WhettenWild said...

Well ya gotta have at least one injury per project....or at least that is what Dad says. ha ha. Sorry about that. I feel bad......I hope I didn't distract you because you were talking to me on the phone.

Can't wait to see it! It will be awesome...just like all of your projects.

Jo (@ boogaloo) said...

I've never seen such a thing- so cool! And that first one, you could totally lock em in there. Er I mean, threaten to.
;)
Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Connie said...

Omg I have never seen those beds before and now I have to have three lol!

Dede said...

Oh my GOSH. I've never seen those before, but I HAVE TO HAVE ONE NOW!!! Okay, so that'll go on my list of "to make hubby create".

Sheri said...

I'm mostly just a lurker, don't comment much, but I had to after that photo. I totally feel your pain! I only have 2 boys in the same room, but there's nothing like the chaos going on in their room 2 hours after I've put them to bed to make me want to put my hands around those little necks and....um, give them loving hugs??

gina3 said...

I love those beds too and have been eyeing them in pinterest. I was trying to figure out if we had a room/space to put one in. I'm going to live vicariously through you I guess since I don't think we do. Oh, it took me almost two minutes to even see blurry child in the photo :)

Banaghaisge said...

Yeah, Renee is right - get a blackout curtain and prob even some shutters on the outside of the windows so they don't have the option of openeing the curtains to get some light. Just for summer and until they get in to the swing of sleeping when it is bed time!!! And do quiet time, none of that lvely stuff, or rough housing with Daddy (or you!) or each other, slow quiet bath, maybe one at a time, and then to bed with a book reaading. When we were about that age (and Mum had SIX of us in 8.5 years - not even Catholic, Dad wanted a Son and Heir and Mum made the mistake (!) of having four daughters first...) anyways - when we were little Mum started reading "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" to us each evening. We couldn't wait to get into bed for the next chapter! And the FOUR of us girls shared a room...
And then when you think about it, those cute bed-cupboards you can shut each of them in are pretty tempting...
Hugs, Jasmine in Oz

alison said...

i can't wait to see what you come up with! The last picture really inspires me. I want to do something AMAZING in my daughter's new room (we are about to embark on a HUGE-O-MONGOUS room swap. She would flip for that bed nook.

As for your boys--I have 3 boys. You'd think that they'd outgrow it, but they don't.

Pressed Petals said...

Love the sharing room thing. Love the nautical theme too!
this is me from pressed petals. I can't ever log in to comment. So i am anonymous. ;)

Layne Bushell said...

Love teh beds...all of them, and I do have enough books to warrant that bookcase (and then some). My only thought is...how on earth do you make the bed when it's surrounded by 3 walls? Eh - no matter, making the bed is entirely overrated anyway... :)

LE FITNESS- Pilates and Personal Training said...

You just had to get another idea stuck in my head didn't cha? My girls would go nuts over something like this!!!

Shirley said...

Oh. My. Word. Peeing in my pants laughin'!! Love that "caught ya" shot! You know that needs to be framed, right? So, this absolutely has to be the last room in your house to be renovated, so you just better have the ole bag packed. Cause you are so comin' down here and build ME one of those! Out in the shed~~all by myself, kinda bed!!!! LOVE IT! (p.s. I do have enough books for that bed too)

Jen said...

Oh man, this is going to be EPIC!! I cannot wait to see your finished product!

Much to the dismay of my almost 15 year old, my 3 boys all share a room, too. Maybe if we had some Tremayne awesomeness, we could finish our basement. Eh....maybe later.

You should post some teaser pics. I'm anxious, really, really anxious!!!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

You crack me up so I just had to become a follower and put your blog in my sidebar. NO WAY am I missing out on this. Great inspiration photos btw.

Love the bed ideas, but you do realize that those three jumping beans will ALL be in that bed hideaway at once, don't you? I know
'cause I have two bigger ones. Boys that is (12 and 14).

rose knight said...

I grew up with five brothers. In order to get tem down at night, I recall black out blinds we a frequently used item. Otherwise, we all would have gone crazy.

Terrell said...

I love how all the little men can share a bedroom..It's decorated sooo cute! The britches heading south bit crrraaacked me up!! HAHA! I just love your blog...it always makes me LOL!

Teri said...

Heart! PS: Love that you call your kids your butt-munches.

Jane said...

What a project! It is going to be fabulous when you're all done. I can't wait to see. I love the boy's room too!