Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Big Revealing Disappointment.

Believe it or not,

I told the hubs when we first moved in, that I didn't give a hoot if we ever finished our basement.

Ever.

See, for me growing up, basements were deep, dark, dank spaces where your childhood monster lived that caused you not to linger and run screaming back up the stairs.



'S just my experience.

So why did we finish our dungeon? Why did we live out the American dream??

The hubs wanted a theater room.

I just wanted to detrashify the joint. Please refer to first picture.

Pretty sure this project was harder than everything else we'd ever done in our house. Combined.

Times 10.

Alright, alright. I tend to over-dramatize.

But it was the suckiest bunch of sucky work that ever did suck.

A word on that sucky work--

I figure we probably saved $10,000 doing the sucky work ourselves. Least that's what I like to tell myself.

Makes me sleep better at night.

This might come as a bit of a shock to you, "but I don't own a dress. I don't even own a brush." (name that movie!)

Er, sorry. This might come as a bit of a shock to you, but I have this thing about big molding. Change the world, it will.

I was in charge of molding. Can you tell? Picked thee biggest, most ginormous molding Lowe's had.

Which led to why it wouldn't find in my vehicular. I don't want to talk about it.

I raised my bee-autiful, ginormous molding a tad bit off the floor, so that the carpet didn't swallow the height up so much.

And speaking of carpet, if you have a sensitive gag reflex, don't look.

Forgive my shaky, midnight, right-before-I-tore-this-nasty-carpet-out, shot. This carpet?

There are no words.

I have a light cream carpet (longer name of carpet: "The Carpet Satan Reserves For Bad Moms In Hell") throughout my home. It is the bain of my existence.

Consequently,

when looking for our new carpet, I asked for the carpet that would hold up the best and look the cleanest, for the longest.

Seriously. No other real criteria.

Anywho, the transformation this space has taken,

still amazes me.

There's still little odds 'n ends here and there, but that's to be expected.

But how far we've come.

How much we've learned.


And how much extra space we've created for our kids to run screaming through.

Oh. 3 year old's crying? Well then, I guess it's life as usual.


And furthermore,

what do I see besides 600 new square feet of living space to attempt and fail to keep clean?

600 square feet of potential molding projects, baby.

19 comments:

Maggie @ Midwestern {Sewing} Girl said...

Love it Mandi. You rock. hard. Awesome job!

gina3 said...

It's really amazing that you guys did all that work yourself. The moulding looks AWESOME!!! Think ahead here; this will be the room that all the teenagers want to hang out in when your brood is older. That means you don't have to worry where they all are. It's super cool (and less worry) to be the "hang out house." Plus, it's the basement so the main area stays clean. Unfortunately for your husband, this will be the home theater space until it becomes the teen hangout space and he'll have to find another mancave space. It is one of the best basements I've ever seen!!!

Rach said...

Wow. It looks amazing...rounded corners and all!! Wow.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

You are such a nut! That my dear is not the dark, dank, scary basement you grew up with. What I wouldn't give for a basement, love the space! Did you get a creative corner, closet or bin in there somewhere?

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I envy all that space. As Gina said it will be a great place for your kids now and especially as teens. It's a good thing you went against your idea not to finish the basement because you have just added a ton of equity and living space into your home and it is more beautiful than if you would have hired it done.

Lulu Lane Designs said...

GORGEOUS!!!! I know that must have been grueling work but it is so amazing that it must be worth it! I too envy that space! :)

WhettenWild said...

It's Miss Congeniality.

My new apartment is looking pretty awesome. ha ha.

It looks super fancy. You guys rock! Seriously.

Dara said...

Oh My God!!! Are you kidding me? Looks amazing....and considering I HATED that space and was scared to go down there at all....it is glorious! Congrats! All of your hard work def. paid off!!! AWESOME!!!!! And for the record, as a kid I was horrified of the basement and ran like a crazy person to the top of the stairs and would SLAM the door...to this day, I don't like them. Our is finished, beautiful and I still rarely if ever, do I go down there alone or to let the kids play (and there is a bounce house down there) unless I am with the hubby! When will I grow up? Anyway, amazing job, you have done wonders with that house!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Mandi, you are so awesome. You guys did such a good job! And for all your complaining, I'm sure you are pretty proud of such a huge accomplishment.

I Am Momma - Hear Me Roar said...

Wow. That looks AWESOME. You guys rocked it and I bet you did save $10,000. Go Tremaynes!

Cheri

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Ah-mazing. And who *really* needs to clean the basement, right? Nobody is going to see it except the ones who made the mess and do they care? Uh, nope. :)

Layne Bushell said...

And it looks sooo much better in real life! Way to go. So can I hire you to come do mine? It's 60% done, so it would only be 40% sucky....what do ya say? ;)

slommler said...

You guys did a fabulous job on the basement!! It is beautiful!
Love the carpet and I have to say...your moulding is to die for!!!
Love it!! Love it all!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Sarita said...

"The Carpet Satan Reserves For Bad Moms In Hell" LOL! Love it!

Lisa said...

I know this project was a big pain in your patooty but seriously you saved so much money doing it yourself AND it looks amazing! Your windows down there are awesome by the way....all that natural light!

Emily said...

Your basement looks fabulous!

I totally agree with the carpet that satan reserves for bad moms. Cream carpet is the worst!!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

You actually probably did end up saving 10,000, which is absolutely amazing!

This looks so fabulous, like seriously.

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

Jen said...

Fantastic. Love it. My basement currently is the scary/dark/dungeon that makes ME run screaming up the steps ('cause, you know... spiders...) but someday, oh someday I might be as cool as you are and have a basement nearly as fantastic as yours. A girl can dream, right?

Teri said...

Wow, Mandi - it is GORGEOUS! I love it! :) Did you put in the pot lights, too? You're inspiring me to take Cliff up on his idea to work on our basement this winter...hmmm... and I want that couch! :)