Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pigs CAN fly.

Dudes, I eeked my way through round 2.

Eeked.

Slipped by with the bronze, baby.

I want you to know a few things about this lil project of mine:

(this is my "crap I need to be careful about the angle of this shot 'cause I made an absolute mess of the countertop" picture)

I tend to bite off more than I can chew. Make mountains out of molehills. Flush entire toilet paper rolls down the can.

And so forth.
'Cause this project

(this is my "I'm sitting in the sink even with a wide angle lens for this shot" picture)
kicked my derrière.

Note to self:

major time constraints do not make a good time to make your own molding. No matter how fascinating that may be.

Mighthaps you remember what we began with:

And, nooooooo I couldn't just use the original mirrors; that would be too easy! I just had to have new shutter-like ones.

That required a new frame, cutting a mirror, hinges, and paint.

Oy.

But I wanna tell ya a few things.

These PB medicine bottles right here:

are totally cool. But they probably also cost thirty-hundred dollars or something.

And it's really fun to make your own.

Bottles from Hob Lob,

labels by me, Body by Jake.

Now I just whipped up a lil sumfin' sumfin' on photoshop. You can always take my sloppy jalopies if you want:

Oh, C'mon! I was in a hurry, remember? New mirrors? Homemade trim? C'mon!

Now, pssst. . . I wanna share with you a little secret. . .

(this is where you lean in close, and then I yell in your face.)

Photoshop brushes rock the free world!

I mean, some people have talent like it is no one's biz-nis.

What are photoshop brushes? Let me 'splain. No there is too much. Let me sum up:

These brushes act like stamps. Any color, any size, any opacity your little heart desires. You stamp these brushes on, and voila. These and these are the antique labels I used for the back of this apothecary cabinet.

(Email me if you want to know how to install them on photoshop or elements. But don't say I didn't warn you; it is addicting.)

Anywho, I used them like so:

And don't forget to take your metamucil, there.

Of course there must be trim.

And then all is right with the world.

And finally, the pièce de resistance:

great-great grandma's cold remedies. Check.These.Out:

REMEDY FOR A COLD:

-Rest feet in tub of hot water
-Take 2 quinine tablets
-Drink one cupful of hot lemonade
-Rub back and chest with Vic Salve (how long has Vic been around??)
-Stoke the fire to bring up a good sweat
-Take one spoonful Castor Oil, and one spoonful Turpentine, fixed in 1/3 cup of hot lemonade, (that's gotta be good going down)
-Rub with Vic Salve every evening until the cold is loose.

Yeah. I'm grateful for modern medicine, too.

36 comments:

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

haha you crack me up! I LOVE your cabinet, and I voted for you! Totally knew it was you too, and still voted for ya! CAUSE YOUR FREAKIN PROJECT ROCKS! I LOVE it!

Jen said...

YES!!!!! You are so easy to spot!!!! Either that or I'm just a real good blog stalker! I wish SO BAD that I had a medicine cabinet like yours to do this to!! But, I gotta know, where did you get your new mirror from? I need a 16X20 without having to give up my first born!! I don't even want it beveled. Just a plain ole 16X20 mirror that I can put in a frame that I picked up from DI!!!

slommler said...

So beautiful!! And those brushes rock for sure!!
One spoonful of turpentine??? OMG!! That oughta grow hair on your chest and burn your tonsils out!! Yikes
Hugs
SueAnn

Holly said...

Turpentine? Really? See? Poison control is soooo over-rated.

gina3 said...

I knew that was yours but would have voted for it anyway because it's just that cool. Love the details and writing on it. Those "brushes" thingymajigs are awesome!!! Maybe you can do a tutorial on those?!

Lori said...

My Mom took castor oil to iduce labor with me! It worked, I was born on New Year's Eve (say tax deduction) She shared a room with her best friend. She did the same thing once she heard what my Mom had done!

Shirley said...

Your style shouts out. It was easy to spot your project. And it is so awesome! I think if I continue reading your blog, I may develop an electrical tool fetish and start carrying work gloves in my back pocket. :) Seriously, love the projects and comments. Keep 'em coming please!

WhettenWild said...

I'll pass on that cold rememdy. ha ha.

Love the cabinet. You rock. When can I hire you to come decorate my EL Paso house??

Kristi said...

First, I just noticed you comments about nice vs mean comment giver...third nipple ahhh cracks me up!!!!

Second, I love LOVE LU-UV your medicine cabinet!!!

So glad I found your blog, it makes my day!

Kristi
living-blessed-life.blogspot.com

Shannon @ Why Not On A Tuesday said...

Glad you made it through! I voted for you! I totally knew it was your project...

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

HA!! I got it right that time! I knew that one was yours!

Go me! Go me! Go me!

Wait..I didn't win anything. I didn't make anything.

*sigh* Ok, fine...

go you....go you...go you...

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

There is just no stoppin' you, is there. You had a few restraints until the new saw came into your home, now, there is nothing you can't do. Love the cabinet. Love the bottles with the labels.
So cool.
Brooke

Yvonne Martinez said...

Love it! Also love your Princess Bride reference, classic! :)

Emily said...

I love this project I love all the little bottles they are so cool! and I knew you would continue on!

Janine said...

I knew this project was yours and I voted for you first & second round. You're really creative

Dede said...

WOW...I love it!!

I had to stop by and tell you that you, my dear, have been the single most reason that my blog views have gone up by 1,000% this month. You're my top referrer! I only wish I'd helped you as much...I totally feel like I took advantage of you by having you do a guest post! You rock:-)

Layne Bushell said...

Way to go. I knew that was you...I think the white trim gave it away, and the sign, and the hob lob jars. Love your stuff! Just so you know, you were my first choice!!!

stamphappy2001 said...

What an amazing transformation. It might have been difficult, but it must be worth it.

Reginia said...

I think I may love you -- seriously!(NASp) I just posted a little(and not nearly as fabulous) post about making your own apothecary bottles and BOOM I was bebopping around and found this!! I love it!


*NASp = Not A Stalker-promise :)

Veronica said...

I LOVED your project. I loved that it was something different (not another dresser) and I am so glad that after all of that work you put into it, you made it to the next round. I've just recently discovered your blog and I must thank you sincerely for all the laughs.

alimoll said...

GREAT project! I had a feeling this one was yours....due to the trim detail! :)

Tam @ Sew Dang Cute said...

Ummmm....I'll say it again, I am SOOO impressed with your power tool/wood skills!!! Seriously, you did a great job! Can't wait to see Round 3!!!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Awesome!! You won on two fronts - the bronze in round 2 of the contest AND you have a beautiful new piece in your home.

That cold remedy of your Grandmother's sounds as if it would make hair grow in places hair shouldn't grow! Yikes!

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

did I catch a little princess bride in there?

Ann Marie | white house, black shutters said...

Duuuuude, I'm supposed to be cleaning for a Super Bowl party. Not being introduced to the world of brushes (which I'm just realizing can be used on my janky paint.net)!

This project is something that so many of us have dreamed of doing, yet never actually got around to finding away to do it. Plus awesome handmade moulding.

Since YOU'RE distracting me, I'll return the favor. Found this link earlier today and thought of you and your frenchy-ness, hopefully you can use it! http://bibigreycat.blogspot.com/

Leca Unplugged said...

If my medicine cabinet looked like that-- I'd make everyone use my bathroom! That was freakin' awesome! I love all the labels and detail. You rock!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures/Treasured Moments said...

I knew that was yours. Did you make your sign too? I love it and knew you would get through round 2. I also love PS brushes. I will have to check out the ones you mentioned. I can't wait to see what you do with round 3. I know it will be great!

Teri said...

I knew it! Yay!! What an awesome little revamp. It's probably a good thing I don't have Photoshop or there would be ModPodged stuff on everything in my house. And seriously - turpentine? Note to self: don't try to poison anyone with turpentine. Not lethal.

lauren@WESTFURNITUREREVIVAL said...

this is so cool., you had me at apothecary.
im your newest follower.

Pressed Petals said...

I did guess right! I LOVED it then and I L.o.v.e. it now! You are one clever lady. Congrats!

Halls Huddle said...

I feel so bad. I haven't been up on my blogs this week and I totally missed round 2. I would have so voted for yours, though. Amazing, girl!!!

Patty said...

This is flippin' awesome! What great attention to detail. Oh and I am here from I am Momma hear me roar!

I think you got me at mirror!

Jenn said...

As always, perfection! Have you seen these?

http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/04/etceteras-vitamin-bottle-organization.html

too cute

Karen said...

I love this! and your blog header is hilarious as is your writing. Love your blog.

LambAround said...

Mmmm, turpentine ;)
You have me really regretting that our house doesn't have any medicine cabinets!

Tessa King said...

Hi there. Can you please tell me how you secure the shelf unit into the hole? Thanks!