Thursday, November 18, 2010

I hope you'll find it refreshing.

Minty refreshing.

See, last month, I made these:

and 'twas then that I mentioned my love for the whimsical peppermint theme that will pervade my house this holiday season.

The 'rents had it when I was little. There's just something, so. . .visions of sugarplums dancing, no?

Anywho, my favorite decor in the house growing up was a long string of peppermints, hanging from the windows. Now, the adorable ones you can find at the Hob Lob are $10.Each. On sale. I can't spend 100 bones or more on this idea, now can I?

Oh, hail no.

So I turned to my machine.

Used this peppermint design agay-an. (Saw the president, agay-an)

Along with these wood circles from the Hob Lob that you can buy for pocket change when on sale:

and a coat of white paint,

some cellophane,

and we are good to go here. I've got 8, 1 foot peppermints, all in a row.

Used the pieces I pulled out of the peppermint design for the backsides:

you know, just in case they flip around and show their behinds. Dirty mints.

And now I've got over 12 feet of peppermints strung.

Where am I gonna put it? Heck if I know.

But I do know it will go great with this new pedestal I bought me yesterday:

It's feeling so fresh around here.

17 comments:

Mallory said...

What a pretty cake stand! I can't wait to see where you hang your garland.

Hoosier at Heart said...

Lovin it! When I was scrolling down and saw that cake stand, I thought it was a bar stool at first. Hmmmmmm, that's an idea.

WhettenWild said...

What a great idea! Those turned out so cute like that.

Libby said...

They're so cute and what a great idea!
(love your commentary too...love "the 'rents" the best)

Emily said...

Those peppermints turned out cute! and I love the picture frames.

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

these are so cool! i am jealous~do I write that EVERY time?

Teri said...

LOL "Oh hail ya" Bahahaha!

Super cute and thrifty, lady! :)

gina3 said...

Oh my gosh! That is so awesome! I could see those as cool garland hanging across the front porch or front of the house or rig them to hang from tree. You could even put them on stakes/sticks and put them in the front yard! You know who needs to see this? Lori@Pursuit of Martha Points so she can use the idea to beat out the pumpkin house neighbor lady. I'm making some of these!

chris w said...

You and cute craft ideas = peas and carrots, dude.

I fell in love with some paper that is similar to the peppermint theme but antiqued. I'm trying to figure out if I could pull off that look or if it would look too craptacular to put up in my ouse.

Darn you for making me want to make stuff!!!

Leca Unplugged said...

So fresh and minty! I love love love your mint-atude this season. My kids would totally try to take them down and unwrap them thinking they were the world's biggest candy score.

Pops and Bon-Bon said...

Good golly, Miss Molly! Your blog always entertains and delights. It's a happy day for me when you post sumthin' new. And I check all.the.time.

Doll Clothes Gal Pal said...

This is very cool! Great idea love! :)

Amanda said...

Love it -- will go great with my Christmas "Vision" check out my inspiration pics from my blog werethejoneses.blogspot.com !

Ahhhhh I love Christmas!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Those mints do not look like a home craft project. They look manufactured. You are amazing.

Kristi said...

Oooh, I love the theme you're going with! I just made the cutest minty wreath for my RED door. I haven't posted it yet, but here's where I stole/borrowed the idea from.

http://daveandkristycall.blogspot.com/2010/11/holly-jolly-wreath.html

1 Funky Woman said...

So dang cute! So where are you gonna put them? I love your machine! Ok now remind me what the name is and is it ever on sale? I am really thinking I wanna be just like you so I need one!

Meg

littlebeachbum said...

These are SO cool! What are you going to do with them? I'm so jealous - I'm moving and haven't been able to do ANY holiday decorating this year :( Booo