Monday, April 26, 2010

Please join me,

in my childhood home.

Last week I had permission to show you the grandkids' playroom, and today, I have permission to take you through the project before the playroom.

This, my friends, is the foyer. Or the "foy-ay", if you want to sound fancy-like. This was a one-man (my dad's) project, and consequently was a massive undertaking. We're talking from smoothing out the cement, to putting in the insulation. . . ALL of it: one man.

Are you ready?

First, let me start off by saying this foyer leads from the house to the garage (or Dad's workshop; depending on if a car's parked in there or a saw is being used). This is an add on to the house.

Okay. Now, are you ready?

If you don't mind just stepping through the door with me. . .

The first floor.
I like to think of this foyer as my dad's years of ideas, all put to good use. Dark walnut paneling.. .

See that mirror? I have a piece of this mirror, too.

You won't find it anymore here:

(in the Oquirrh Mountain Temple) because apparently, after taking the picture of the celestial room, they took them down for something more stately. My dad intervened before they were broken and taken to the dump. Phew.

So now (a piece of) it resides here.

Planked ceilings, canned lighting (so pretty), crown molding. . .

I love that they chose to keep the brick exposed. It would be a pure shame to cover it up. Now, my parents loved a fountain they saw once, but they didn't love the $1000+ price tag that went along with it.
So, they opted to figure it out and make it on their own.

Slate, copper piping. . . love it. Sorry, I'm the idiot that doesn't know how to turn it on. It's prettier with its lights on at night anyway.

And now, what I like to consider the crowning jewel of the foyer:

The spiral staircase. I remember being little little, and my dad talking about loving spiral staircases. So, he figured it out and built it.

We should head up to the 2nd floor, shouldn't we?

While the 1st floor is tiled, the 2nd is done in bamboo.

I like to think of the 2nd floor as a library/post-retirement office. Dad was a teacher, see, and he has quite a collection.


The library side.

The teacher's collection side.
(for collections like cans from everywhere they've visited):



Do you think I look like my mom in that bridal portrait over there? No? Shucks.

This completes our tour; thanks for joining me.

And Dad, I think you've outdone yourself. Mouah.

16 comments:

Teri said...

Wow - what a gorgeous home! I love spiral staircases, too. There's something so princessy about them. :) Your dad is very talented!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Well, what can you say to that! He missed his calling somewhere along the way. That dude is talented. Amazing! And how cool is that to have a mirror from the temple. I don't even know what to say, that is beautiful.
Good job dad!
Brooke

Emily said...

Your Dad can do anything with wood can't he? That is cool. The staircase is just awesome!

Janelle Bartlome said...

A
Maze
Ing

WhettenWild said...

I think you have to flip a switch to turn on the fountain. I'll have to ask my kids......they always seem to figure it out.....against my better judgement.

You are awesome Dad!

dena4kids said...

Wow! Beautiful!

Layne Bushell said...

While you are an amazing photo-graph-er....I'm sure these pictures don't do it justice. So i'd like a personal...in real life...tour please. We could arrange that...couldn't we????

AM from White House, Black Shutters said...

WOW! Simply amazing. I don't know how to capture in text that my eyes got huge when they saw the first picture, but, they did. So yeah...

Daddy-O said...

Mandi, You have made our room look better than real life! Thank you for your beautiful photography and your wonderful skills.
Dad

Joanna Taylor said...

Truly stunning. Marvelous. Gorgeous.

Doll Clothes Gal Pal said...

Beautiful home!!! Very posh and elegant, but still homey!!! Thanks for taking us on a tour!

Ryan and Rachel said...

Love.it.all. And now I will wait for a pic of the fountain working. at night with the lights on please. :)

gina3 said...

Oh my gosh!!! What did your Dad teach? It must have been Master Craftsman-Advanced Course! He is just awesome. (and I love he posted a sweet comment above. You are one lucky girl!)

Halls Huddle said...

I drive past their house almost daily- due to a certain best friend of my oldest son- and have always wanted to see the inside. Thanks for the tour. I'm with Layne and would love one IN PERSON some day????It looks amazing!

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

Good heavens....that's stunning. The house, the photography...

Speechless. Me. Write it down.

Renee said...

Mandi, your Dad is amazing! I've been in the lower part of the foyer, that spiral staircase is beautiful! I also love the phone! :) Thanks for sharing... that ceiling is soooo pretty!