Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Silhouette-uh. Gentille silhouette-uh.

I've got this shelf. I put it up months ago, man. It's just sat there. All innocent, gathering dust, empty.

I showed it to ya back in the day I put it up. One of those days I had ants in my pants.Now, I've always wanted to do silhouettes of my kids. They're just soo. . .classic. So. . . Lemony Snicket, ya know? ("I will treat these kids as if they were actually wanted. . .")

Now, I'm going to show you how I did my silhouettes. I know there are a meellion (one meellion dollars! Frickin' lazer beams!) tutorials out there on these things. Maybe I chose the easy way. Maybe I chose the totally difficult, idiot way. I don't know. And hey, maybe you're so fancy you'd just tell yer kid "Hey. Turn to the side. Hold that for a sec." And you whipped out a piece of black paper and scissors and went to town, and voila.

But that's not me, okay?

If it is you, you totally deserve your own Budweiser "Real Woman of Genius" commercial.

Don't tell me if I did it the hard way, umkay?

Alright. So you take your kid. You stick 'em in front of a window and snap a pic. You are purposely backlighting the heck out of your kids. Obviously you won't be using your flash. That will defeat the purpose. Obviously.

So I took my kid. Stuck his ginormous head in front of the window.

Huh. I just realized I gave my son flat head. Okay lesson learned! Get ALL their head in the shot.

Now if you've got photoshop or photoshop elements, (or some other program like the aforementioned) you've got it made. 2 steps, people! 2 steps!

1st. You're gonna boost your exposure. Overexpose the heck out of your photo.

2. Now-- boost your blacks up by 100%. Take that nobby nob and send it all the way to the end.

Look! Ooh! Now you could practically just print that out and, if you're steady of hand just cut that bad boy out. Or, OR! You could black and white that bad boy (to get rid of the remaining blue-ish tones) and if you're framing it, you could be done. Frame it-- shadowbox it-- scrapbook it. Whatevah.

But if you have crooked sickness, such as I, well then you just tell "the machine" (nobody withstands the machine) to cut them for you.

Now, I got some blocks from the hob lob (they have rounded too . . .ooh the possibilites. . . ) for 50¢ and painted 'em thee ole antique white:



A lil mod podge, and we're good to go here. Cost? $2.00. Oh fine I'll factor in paper, mod podge, and paint. $2.165289738499. Satisfied?

Or, OR, you could just order someone else's silhouettes from Ballard Designs.

Only $30. I do like the cool "old letter" background. . .

Creations by Kara


20 comments:

Trina said...

Wow, that's about a million times easier than how I would have attempted it. And it turned out AMAZING! Mind if I copy?

Emily said...

holy crap. I never would have figured that out. That sounds pretty easy! They look really cute too!!

La TempĂȘte said...

The way I was thinking about doing this in my head was a lot harder.

Thanks for the idea!

Teri said...

Fabulous idea. You make me laugh!! Thanks for visiting my blog, by the way! :)

Amanda K said...

Brilliant! I am going to have to try this!

WhettenWild said...

oooooo fancy =)

WhettenWild said...

Actually, I'm going to change that to "artsy".

Nice job!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I love your son's pouty face. That shelf looks much better decorated. Thanks for linking up at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

dena4kids said...

Dude that is awesome! I love all the pictures together. Nice Job Mandi!I think I will try it!=)

tough jelly said...

These came out so nice. I like them better than Ballard (I can tell the people from the bd ones are very snobby). How did you get your Cricut to cut them? I just got a cricut and I am learning very slowwwwlllly. Thanks!!

FrouFrouBritches said...

Oh my gracious! I've been wanting to do this, but never thought of using the photoshop angle. GENIUS! I'm definitely trying this. THANKS!

Jennie said...

Oh, man! This is too dang cute...I too will be snatching up this idea!

Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

Adrianna said...

Bravissimo!! Love it! You have made it look so easy to accomplish & added some humor on the side. Fab!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Love it... thanks for the tutorial. I've got photoshop elements and I've been wanting to make these.

LizSmith said...

FanTASTic!!! I love love love the finished product. So cute and classy and even better that's it's your own little hoodlums! I am definately going to use this idea at my house!

Kara@ Creations by Kara said...

This is the most awesome method of making silhouettes that I have ever seen!! Thanks so much for sharing your genius idea!

kirstin & jordan said...

This. is. fabulous!
I am off to take some pictures of my little one. :)
Thanks for linking up!

Holly said...

I am totally in love with silhouettes and doing them of my kids has been on my list of to do's - that is super easy...I never would have thought of that. I was just thinking about the ladies at Disneyland what whip out there scissors and go to town.

Stopping by from Friday Fun Finds...I am #25.

Holly
504 Main

casandraway84 said...

You're so funny. I totally love your abbreviations for things like tut and hob lob. Sounds like stuff me and my dad would say to each other. Your blog makes me smile and laugh and feel good all at the same time!! Totally cool. Oh yeah, and the silhouettes are pretty awesome too!

Rhonda said...

I don't have "the machine," but I may try just printing and framing it! awesome.