Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I'm such a wimp.

I've mentioned before how a baby's cry (my own or a stranger's) can put me nearly in tears. A kid hurt (any kid) nearly sends me off blubbering. Those St. Jude's commercials? All out weeping. Having said that, I'm sure you can see why Primary Children's Hospital has made me a complete, utter mess. There are crying (or screaming) children everywhere. My heart can't take it.

Yesterday Mckenna was acting just plain not happy. Then a fever started, and it got high, right quick. Since she's only 7 weeks I decided I'd better take her in. The instacare doctor basically refused to treat her, since 1., she's so young, 2., her fever was so high, and 3., she had no other visible symptoms. He sent me up to Primary's.

When I got there, they got right to all the testing: a catheter for a urine test, 1 failed IV, another IV for a blood draw. When they insisted they do a spinal tap, I said no. I didn't just say no, pardon my french, I said HE#@ NO. So they promptly sicced two docs on me to strong arm me into it. To say that I'm ticked is an understatement. But that's a whole other post. I bawled. And then I bawled some more. And some more. When they forgot about one more blood test they had to draw, I'd had it. I left the room to go puke.

Meanwhile, we're still here, and she's on an IV antibiotic-- she has a kidney infection that may point to a physical abnormality that kinda runs in the family. I think it's correct to say that that was potentially the worst night of my life. But I'll try and keep it together here, man.

10 comments:

WhettenWild said...

You aren't a wimpe you are doing great! It's tough and scary to see a new baby so sick!

She looks so sweet in that picture. Give her a big hug from me.

Sorry she has to take after me with the kidney problems =(. Wait, doesn't Jeff's family have that problem too? Let's blame it on them. J/K.

Alissa said...

oh HUGS! Does she have urinary reflux?

Jessie said...

I would be in tears too! I hope she gets better quick!

Trina said...

I'm so sorry! I hope it's a short stay at the hospital and a quick recovery!

Renee said...

I'm so sorry Mandi...I know how hard it is to watch your baby attached to IV's & tubes & such. Hang in there... We'll be praying for you all!

dena4kids said...

I'm in tears and I'm not even there! You are AWESOME! Eliza had an kidney infection when she was a baby and we did the run of test. NOT FUN! I love ya girl and we are praying for Little lady.=) Hope you guys get to go home soon!

Ryan and Rachel said...

Oh Mandi - what a tender heart you have!!! And prayers have already gone up for your sweet girl and the rest of you. And if I need to come 'strong-arm' some doctors, you just let me know.

Andrea said...

Oh that is so sad. I know what you mean about kids crying. I am impressed you held up so well. Poor Mckenna, hope all goes well, you guys are in our prayers.

Heidi said...

I'm so sorry Mandi...I know its hard having a babe in the hospital! My prayers for her and you. Hope its a short stay.

Angelle said...

What a nightmare! Sounds very familiar. When Luke was 3 weeks old he got a fever of 102, which is very rare. His Dr sent us to Alta View Hospital, they did those same tests, which found nothing. They said to wait until the next day and then they were going to send me for that awful spinal tap at Primary's. Luckily no more fever. But I was a crying disaster watching my little guy go through those terrilbe tests!! Hope all is well with her now! Love your music room btw!