Sunday, December 29, 2013

Financial & Statistical Report for 2013.

I hope your holidays have been as fabulous and lazy as mine have.  Are you enjoying yourself? 
 
I've discovered a couple things about myself in the last week or so.  Mainly--
 
I might be the most uptight person on the planet.
 
Seriously, I've had to actually work at trying not to be a busy-body and fully enjoy this Christmas season.  Laundry?  Let it wait.  Library books overdue?  Oh well.  Send 'em back later.  Then never go back there again so you don't have to pay the huge fine.  Nasty toilet?  Shut the door on it.  Do NOT go in there.  Whooo. 
 
That sort of thing.  I'd also like to take this opportunity to share this weekend's happenings.  Just smile and pretend like you care, mmkay:
 
 
Tent. City.  Baby.
 
Thirteen tents, thirteen kids/nieces/nephews.  One gigantic "Camping Sleepover!!"   Flashlights-- ghost stories-- kids snoring and talking in their sleep. . .
 
it was off the hook.
 
Okay.  Anyways.  Back to the matter at hand. 
 
Remember how 2013 was the year of the "SPENDING CLEANSE" ?  How can you not remember, as I've only brought it up a billion times?
 
Let's talk about how I did, since there's only like a day left in this year.  Can't screw up too much in 24 hours, can I?
 
(Oh.  Pssst: don't mind the pictures.  It's to break up the monotony of my chattering.  Think of it as a slide show of the best of 2013, if you will.)
 
 
 
My thoughts on how I did overall: 
 
Good.  Annnnnnd. . . .  not so good.  I did great.  And yet, I undermined myself.
 
If I were a teacher, my efforts would have earned a
 
B-.
 
In a nutshell:
 
(gratuitous picture)
 
 
Where I done did good:
 
*I didn't buy myself a stitch of clothing.  That is, until November, when I realized that I seriously had nothing to wear.  Then I bought a few cheap things.
 
*My crazy out of control spending at Lowe's and the Home Depot went waaaaay down.  I still did projects.  But I wasn't a crazed lunatic filling up the car with lumber every other day, either.
 
*Random shopping.  Almost nonexistent.
 
 
 
 
Where I didn't do so good:
 
*Eating out control started out very strong, and then kind of went downhill and then gained momentum.
 
*I need a doggie shock collar at the grocery store with a strict budgeter holding the button when I reach for random foodstuffs.
 
 
 
Now, let's get to the dinero.  The specie.  The Benjamins.  The buckaroos. 
 
I know at the beginning of the year I mentioned a percentage of savings.  Forget the percentage.  I have no idea how I did on percentages in the end.  And besides, a number figure is more interesting. 
 
Drum roll, please. 
 
 
 
Savings for 2013:  $34,389.
 
Retirement savings for 2013: $15,615 (our contribution, not matched contribution.  I have no idea what that number is for the year.  I have no idea if this is a good amount to save for the year on retirement or not.  Any input on that is greatly appreciated.)
 
 
So.  Am I glad to have that in savings?  Heck to the yeah, I am.  Could I have done a lot better?  Honestly, yeah. Way better. I really can just flush money down the toilet sometimes. 
 
This goal is continuing and morphing into something else for 2014, to be sure.  I hope ya don't mind.  I hope we can still be friends.
 
 

23 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Wow Mandi!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a spending cleanse rockstar! I love how you beat yourself up but yet saved $34K, that is amazing, really, and so inspiring!!!! Cheers to 2014…..hope it's happy & healthy for you and your fam!

Lori said...

I think you did very well and.... the fun family pictures tell that you were amazing!

kkasun said...

Wow! That is amazing! I don't know the total dollar amount that is recommended because I don't know what your retirement goals are. however I believe the maximum contribution to 401 K for one year is between 16 and 18 thousand. So it seems as though your husband has invested as much as you can unless he is within 2 and a half years of retirement.

Shirley Moore said...

Just gonna have to say, you are my savings hero girl. I have no idea on the retirement part, but I don't know anyone that can say they made changes in their spending, and chunked that kind of change in the savings account. Kudos to you girl!

Mallory said...

Holy cow! That's amazing!

Jackie said...

Great job on the savings Mandi! Your goals gave me some inspiration for saving in 2014. Can't help with the retirement info.

Ashley said...

WOW! That is an impressive amount of money to have saved in 1 year. It is just my husband and I and we cannot seem to save a dime. Any suggestions on where to start.

Evelyn said...

Are you kidding??? You rock. You saved more than our household even MAKES in a year - that is impressive, and you are my new savings hero!

Carla said...

Haha I'm with evelyn... way to save more than we make! (of course we are students... but that's beside the point) I would say you rocked that goal.

And how awesome is that sleepover idea!! Did all the kids get a tent for christmas? I'm gonna have to steal that one--awesome.

Can't wait to hear the goal for 2014!

james and bess said...

Way to go!!! That is some seriously impressive savings! :) How much do you need to buy an island? Have you thought of that as a savings goal? :)

Bess

emilyw said...

VERY awesome savings! You inspire and impress me - I have some of the very same spending tendencies you have. You did all of that AND still managed to pull of some amazing projects around the house! Woohoo!

Rach said...

Uh yeah. I was all on board with you at the beginning of the year and every time you posted about it (even though you don't know me) and I officially suck now.
Excited for 2014 and what you'll do finances wise...maybe I'll get it together this time and be as awesome as you!

Kari at A Grace Full Life said...

Um is there a tutorial to this Spending Cleanse you speak of??? Because there really needs to be.
Congratulations!

Hippymom83 said...

Wow! I don't think I saved a single penny this year, despite trying. (but my hubby is the big spender, not me). I wish I could say I'd saved as much as you. That would totally rock!!! Great job! And Happy New Year!

Trina Miner said...

That is wonderful! You did an amazing job. And yes $15k in retirement is great, any amount put away each year is just going to keep growing.

Happy New Year....you are a rock star!

Ashlee said...

Yeah, we rent, and had big goals of saving a down payment, but a newborn and open heart surgery really threw a wrench in that. We saved some, but not nearly that. I'm nosy enough to be curious how much your hubby makes... By the way since were aquarium soul mates (at least our hubbies are)... My husband bought a second one, that's 4 feet long, and he's putting it in the same wall as his other one, and moving my mirrors and art... In our one level smallish rental. I know you commiserate:)

Lorilyn Crum said...

I have typed this comment no less than 3 times trying to get it to publish. Frusteration.

In short - you are my hero and it was fun going along with you on your spending cleanse.

For the retirement piece - they say you should put aside about 15% of your income per year for retirement - that includes you and what your employee matches, so based on just your families contribution I would say you are probably putting a good amount in.

RachelK said...

Good job! When I grow up, I want to be just like you. Because I do not like saving. I do like spending.

This year my goal is to get my retirement savings up to 15% of my income. That's what Dave Ramsey says to do.

Olesya Farias said...

Hello, I have been reading your blog for couple of years now, but for one or another reason never posted a comment. So, here I am, out of woods, and want to say, good job, I wish I can be that good at spending, I do need a dog chocking collar as well, so if you to find one make for humans please share.

Olesya Farias said...

Hello, I have been reading your blog for couple of years now, but for one or another reason never posted a comment. So, here I am, out of woods, and want to say, good job, I wish I can be that good at spending, I do need a dog chocking collar as well, so if you to find one made for humans please share.

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

I think the most important thing here is that you wanted to make a point to save...and you did an awesome job! Also, I bet it is a different feeling than perhaps in years past where you spend instead of saved...another blog post about this...please! Did you sell anything that helped with the savings? Need more details on how you accomplished this! hugs, cathy

Lori said...

Good job on the savings. It is SO HARD to skip the Target clearance racks and $ section. :) I want to know where you got those tents for your cousin sleep over. FUN!

LMorgan said...

Wow! Can you let us know what percentage of your income you saved? That would help me figure out how much I can save. Thanks