Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Money Pit.

You up to date on your tetanus shot?  Wearing shoes?  Good.  Come on in.
 
'Cause yesterday was our first official day to get to work on our "other" house.  And I have been chomping at the bit to get all up in this house's biz-nis.  I've been dreaming about it-- planning, scheming, scheduling, arranging--
 
'S all I can think about.
 


(Really, REALLY crappy before shot.)

You know, I'm feeling a lot of conflicting emotions about this situation. Taking on an entire house is extremely overwhelming. But then you get one thing done, and you cheer the small victory, and you work a little harder.

And then you get stopped again.



With, oh, say, two layers of vinyl flooring and a piece of particle board,  glued down with like, liquid nails. That's somewhat daunting.

Houses are just a lot of work, man.  And then, when you feel like you've got the inside of your house how you like it, there's still the outside to mess with.  And then by that time, it's time to update the inside.  It's a sick, sick pattern.  Sick.

Let me share what we got done in a day.



Flooring removed. Carpet, carpet pad, all those teensy little annoying staples, most of the tack strips, broken tile, old appliances, an old vanity, that double layer of vinyl flooring. . .



all gonzo. Toilet's out. Wallpaper border only 10% out (just wait 'til I remember to bring my steamer, then it is on. . . )

Ceiling painted. Check.
Brand spankin' new water heater installed. Check, check.
Totally full garage of move out garbage removed: triple check.
Family room and kitchen area mostly painted. . . mostly. Ish.



Hey, it was only a 10 hour period, okay? I'm not a machine!

I don't know how long this will take me. In my head, I'll be done by the end of the week. Whilst surviving on pizza and donuts.

But you know what I do know? I think I'm going to love love this house when all is said and done. I want whomever buys this house to love love this house when we are through working it over.

The bones of it are good, 'n that's all that matters. Everything else is just paint and carpet. With some appliances 'n stuff thrown in there for good measure.



Don't worry-- I took the cooler cover off that ceiling so as not to paint it with the ceiling itself.

 But what I am worried about, is the noise coming from above. Something's up there, people. And it's feeding. And I am freaked. I imagine a squirrel landing on my face while I work. Whatever it is, be it squirrel, bird, raccoon, or zombie with a taste for human flesh, it's getting out of there.

But I'm not going to be the one to do it.

12 comments:

Michelle Johnnie said...

Looks so much better already! I want to do this to one of our rentals. Too bad we have tenants in there that we will never kick out! I hope they pay off the mortgage!

SueAnn Lommler said...

Wow! You have accomplished so much already!! Good for you!
Even though it is a lot of work...it is exciting.,..a new journey!!
Love it
Hugs
SueAnn
PS Good luck on your zombie hunt!

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

I am so impressed at how much you accomplish in one day!! Amazing!! This is going to be a great reno and I sure hope it has a fantastic return for your hard work!! hugs, cathy

Sue@House Pretty said...

Wow, you did one PILE of work in one day!!!

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts said...

wowza!!

Libby said...

Yes, but will there be molding?

Already lookin' good!

Entice that zombie out with flowers and vegetables!

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

Wow, you got a lot accomplished in one day. We had a squirrel problem in our GA house...not fun...at all.

Julie said...

When your all done and it looks all amazing and your bored and need another project, I am more than happy to offer up our home. Just sayin :)

Janet said...

Impressive! How did you manage to get all of that done in one day? That's a ton of work! Sounds like evicting your 'tenant' might be the toughest part of the remodel, lol! Good luck with that! :)

Evelyn said...

Holy cow, yes you are a machine! That's a ton of crap done in ONE day. Wow!

Maureen said...

Go! Go, Mandi, Go! Go! Go, Mandi, Go! Go!...

(Yes, I'm being your own personal cheerleader.)

Maureen

Emily said...

You guys are awesome! I can't believe you got all that done in one day! It's going to make some family very happy when you are all done!