Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Dang It, Jim- It's a Family Room, Not a Museum.

I've forewarned you that you're not gonna love my new couch.
Lemme 'splain.  No, there is too much.  Let me sum up:

Since they don't make a couch that ejects children off of itself when they walk or jump on it, I had to go to plan B.

What does Plan B consist of?  I don't expect much, people.  I'm not trying to get my family room into a magazine.  It's a family room.  I already have a room that no one ever goes in.  Heck, I already feel like the living room should be covered in clear vinyl to protect it.  Maybe the vinyl protectors need a protector.  Or we could just brick the room up to protect it and show people pictures.



And that's not how a house full of children's supposed to be. 



But back to plan B.  Help me focus.  I had very, very few criteria:

1.  Cushions cannot, canNOT be removed.


If I had a dime for every time I yelled to put the old couch back together, I could totally go buy me and you a hot dog and slurpee.

2.  The new couch must be easily washable. 
All I want is for the room to feel clean.  At least, cleanable.    Anyone else hear about microfiber and it's easy-to-clean nature?  LIES.

3.  Of course, the price was a factor.



So are ya ready for my new-ish family room? Can I emphasize just one more time that this is a FAMILY ROOM? Kids live here?  Play here?  Eat here even though they've been told 5 million times not to? 

 

Yep. Ya buy a couch where the cushions can't come off, and then you cover it in throwable, tossable, beat each other over the head, pillows.
Makes sense.  

At least if they bug me, they can mysteriously disappear for a while.


So between the new paint, molding, and the new music library, my downstairs is feeling New! and Different!
Picture of Jeff and I is my final "touch". If you can call anything in this room a "touch".



Yeah, it's of our backs. We think it's our best angle.

19 comments:

Kelly Biggs at My Dear Trash said...

I'm loving the new sofa- so kid friendly- yet so sophisticated when necessary- nice job!

SueAnn Lommler said...

The sofa i8s perfect. Does all you need it too
Hugs
SueAnn

julie - eab designs said...

Love the new couch! I'm all for urban chic and no cushion adjustments! The room truly looks fab.

~Jess said...

I love it! Such a great space.

Alison said...

What?! We're not going to like the couch?! I love it!
And I'd love to see that picture a little closer too ~ I love photography.
Ps. I'm not normally a "commenter" on blogs, but can I just say I love your blog and you are very entertaining. Thank you for daily giggles. :)

Maureen said...

Mandi,

Ohhhh! So much better! But you need some color - maybe a plant or two? If you have a brown thumb, and don't think you do or you just don't want the hassle, artificial looks very close to the real thing anymore. What about a planter box, trimed with molding of course, along the big window?

Maureen

P.S. When are you coming to my house and help me?

Dee said...

I dig the new couch! Those are very similar criteria for the couch I'm looking for. Can I ask where it's from?

Rhiannon said...

I like it! Awesome for a family with kids! By the way, not sure if you were referring to the cushions or kids when you said "at least they can disappear for a while", because if you mean the kids I'd love to know how you do that!

I'm kidding! (no seriously) ;)

annieglan said...

I don't know what it says about me, but I really LOVE the new couch! I hated your old one. hahahhahaha I would buy this even if I didn't have kids.

Mallory said...

I like the new couch too! And your ruffly pillow. I have to agree with Maureen though: you need some color in that room! Maybe red or blue or green or yellow pillows mixed in with the tan ones.

I know, I know, tell me to shut up. I promise I'm not being a meanie though. You're awesome!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I like that couch! I picture a nice rug to protect your pretty floor so that the kids can spill stuff on it and drive you crazy!!!

Libby said...

Love it!
And you are so right about microfiber...lies all of them! Cat claws catch just as they walk across it, and holds onto their white Persian hair and stains if they puke, or the grandkiddos spill liquid refreshments on them (of course I NEVER eat or drink in my living room...uoh, make room for my nose, itsa growin'!)

Michelle Johnnie said...

Great choice! Now I'm just waiting for you to stencil a rug in ombre or chevron. Something trendy like that? No. You will do something more amazing than that!

Emily said...

I totally agree with you on the cushions! Mine come off too. It drives me crazy! Your new couch is beautiful.

Erin said...

First time commenter...I thought I was the only one who screamed "Put the damn couches back together!" every durn morning. We have three boys and one girl and I swear, every monring it's like I live in a frat house. Coushions strewn about the room, pictures hanging at precarious angles from the wall. Crazy shit. Anyway, I am so in love with your new couch. Cushions that can not be removed is one of our future criteria as well. But we are waiting a little longer...Thanks for sharing, it's beautful. Love the floors too.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

You're so funny, your couch is totally fine. And even if some people don't like it, screw them, they aren't the ones who had to pick up cushions off the floor all the time. After reading your story, my kids will only be allowed to sit on the floor, like our dog.

WhettenWild said...

I like it! I just may have to go that route next time around.

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

I have leather too and it's SO kid friendly (and dog friendly too…..maybe you need to add one to the mix?? ) There's pretty much nothing that they can do to destroy it besides cut it with something (and Murphy's Law says that will, of course, happen)
Enjoy the functionality of it and your pillows are so pretty! Your hardwoods look amazzzzing and oh am I green with envy.
Can we have a close up of the backsides of you and Jeff for the love of all that is good? Jeeesh lady!
It's all looking lovely and CLEAN - and I love your littlest munchkin arranging the pillows in one of these photos! Too cute!

Teri said...

It's gorgeous! :) Plus, the kids will have hours of fun beating each other with those pillows! At least that's what my sisters and I would have done. :)