Friday, September 9, 2011

My Pencil's Bigger Than Yours.

Can we talk about this ginormous pencil?

'Cause it was pretty darned fun to make.

And poke kids with. And scratch your butt back with.

Umkay, so. . . I went to grab myself a dog-eared fence board. I's just gonna make a flat pencil, ya know?

Well, next to those, are these totally cool, and totally crooked fence posts.

Hello? Round and pointy already? Picked out the straightest one I could find.

Now, these are 8 feet long, so I cut mine in half and now I have TWO pencils! Woot! Used the daddy-o's heavy duty sander to sharpen the other piece and give the "eraser" a but of a rounded off edge, and then ya get to paintin'.

Just slopped it on there.

And when I got to the eraser?

I used one of these pieces of metal I had leftover from some piece of crap or other. I believe these thin pieces of tin are called "flashing".

I'm not going to google "flashing" to find out if I'm right or not. Know what I'm sayin'?

Hehe. He. Hehe.


Just wrapped the flashing around, and screwed it right down into the wood.

Don't worry. That'll be the ugly side that stays to the wall.

And voila!

Ginormous, 4 foot pencils for your kids to hurt each other/break a window/impale each other with!

Yee-ah. I'll be getting that hung up soon.

16 comments:

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

Nice! My thoughts are how much fun my son would love to gouge out my daughter's eye with such a lovely and piece of decor!

Halls Huddle said...

Oh, of course. I should have known you MADE it. How silly of me:) Love it!

Emily said...

that is such a fun idea!

Libby said...

thanks! I just may have to have a couple myself. Maybe make it into a sewing needle (don't ya just love brainstorming? So many more ideas can "crap"/crop up.

Libby

WhettenWild said...

I didn't realize that you made it. You are super duper uper shmooper cool then. That is so cute.

Megan said...

yeah, buddy! this is freaking awesome! I see pencils in my (husbands) future!! hes crafty like that ;)

Teri said...

That is freaking awesome. How cool would it be to mount that on a wall painted like notebook paper?!

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh your little guy's expressions are priceless! And you are so clever. I second Teri's comment about the notebook paper, or a wall covered in real lined paper!

Ryan and Rachel said...

You are SO freakin' awesome. I haven't told you that in a while. It's true. You rock.

b3hd said...

These are AWESOME. I saw some (on sale for a billion dollars somewhere) and thought to myself, self, I could make those. And you showed me how. Now if I would just get around to doing it.

Love your writing style!
Bernadette

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

This might be one of the greatest props I have ever seen. It reminds me of something you would see on that improv show Drew Carey used to host.

bailey k. said...

wow, that's awesome! it could be a great photography prop for a "back to school" photo shoot!

i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

thanks so much for sharing!

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

This is just too cool. I've been thinking of making a giant ruler as a growth chart for our boy's room (he's still just a bun in the oven) and this would go perfectly with it!

Stopping by from Someday Crafts link up.

Jennifer said...

I love giant things! That's awesome!

Daniel said...

Nice Blog.
Window Blinds UK provide Aluminium Venetian Blinds, Venetian Blinds, and Office Blinds at low prices with next day delivery.
Blinds

Michell @ Girl In Air said...

Hi! I have been wanting to recreate the Giant Pencil in Pottery Barn's catalog forever!!

So today I spotted a post and bought it! I'm super excited BUT a FB friend told me to be careful because these are treated with CCA and contain arsenic ! REALLY???

He's NOT gonna be eating it..it's gonna be hanging on the wall...

Anywho...I googled it and found you and now I'm wondering IF you had/have any concerns??? I really wanted to use this as my Craft Gossip guest post...but I don't want to start a fire storm either...

THanks!