Tuesday, September 6, 2011

If you stand far back and squint, it looks pretty good.

Yeah, that's what I told the hubs when I finished the toy shelves from the biggest project ever.

"Hey hon! Did ya see the shelves are done? If ya stand pretty far back and squint, it looks pretty darned good."

I'm gonna say that applies to the other side of this little project as well.

So, where were we?

Oh, right.

I had shown you the beginnings of a built-in bench, exposed wires, and so forth.

Well, let's get to this little boy's desk nook, shall we?

'Cause it's done. Ish.


Let me tell ya a couple things about the bench side. Above the seat? Above the beadboard? It's this shiny, white, vinyl-y stuff. That's what the tag at Lowe's says: "Shiny. White. Vinyl-y: $19.99." Really.

Anywho, it's next to the beadboard at the store, just so ya know. Why did I choose that material?


It's a whiteboard. Had the Daddy-o leave a permanent little sketch for my little dudes up there.

And ya know, just when I was complaining to the hubs that my kids don't appreciate all the hard work I put in to this darn house,

I catch them in their scanties at the buttcrack o' dawn trying out their new whiteboard.

Alright my little butt munches, you're forgiven.

Now go get some clothes on before I give ya a wedgie.

But I digress.

You know what this space needs? A giant, oversized pencil.

One the kids can joust with.

That facial expression is priceless.

And I can only imagine the kind of damage McKiller here was contemplating with that big of a writing device.

"Holy cow! I could jack up the whole upstairs in a jiffy with this big a pencil!"


So, all in all, this is a pretty boss nook.

(Many thanks to my sewing divas Layne & Rachel for the tushy cushion.)

But wait! A whiteboard and a chalkboard with obscenities? Yes. Lots of fun for the kidlets.

And total overkill?

Mais oui.

And ya know, I'd love to show you the whole entire space.

I'm not.

It's not because McKiller drew all over my cream carpet from Hell with a red crayon.

It's not 'cause the boys broke one of the drawers under the bed.

It's not 'cause the whole thing still needs crown molding.

It's not 'cause the room is a freaking disaster.

It's all of the above.

27 comments:

Janelle said...

Just when I think you can't get any better- you get better!

Amazing.

I love the reasons you can't show the whole project. Isn't it just the way life is? thanks for being real.

okdoki said...

K, I have to know, did you buy that giant pencil or make it? I must to have it. I am finishing up my kids desk in the living room and that would be the perfect touch of fun to all the business that kindergarten requires

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh they are too cute! I love the idea of creating a cool little nook for them to play... love the pencil and the inevitable joust, priceless, lol. Patti

Dara Lynn said...

My sister in law teaches writing to sixth graders....that pencil would be perfect for her classroom!!!!! What a great hide-a-way to sketch color and draw!!! Mandi....love you for keeping it real! Be glad they don't make that darn ghostbuster ooze anymore...it's like red crayon on beige carpet too! Ohhhhh the memories!!! Can't wait till the b.i.g reveal:)

SoSarahSews said...

"fat cat shat" - You don't have a cat, do ya? Don't want to give your kiddos any ideas. It's all awesome! And your sons will one day LOVE all of these pics of them on the internet. LOL! :)

gina3 said...

What a great space! and I didn't have to squint to say that. Love the pencil (and the facial expession!). My son has a whiteboard wall and we love it. It's less messy than chalk. Super cool desk nook!!!!

Halls Huddle said...

I love, love, love it! Where in the world did you find that pencil?

Nicki Rocky said...

At last someone who's house is as big a disaster zone as mine! I find I do some piece of DIY or crafting that I am really proud of and want to show off. I go to take a photo to post on my blog and cannot find anywhere in the house that does not look like hurricane Irene made it to the UK!

julie - eab designs said...

Thanks for the smiles this morning. Love the space! We still have our white-board that our girls drew on from the age of 2. They are still using it to solve their calculus problems!

Jen said...

OMG, Mandi, I LOVE the surprise cuss word! I can't help but sit here and laugh. You totally made my morning! Seriously, where did you get that pencil? Did you know that dry erase markers can take that permanent marker off of the white board? We learned that the hard way once. I was so miffed. And just so ya know, Landon thinks that the J man is the luckiest kid in town because he has a whiteboard in his room and has his own, fun little space to do art! I'm a meanie because I have never allowed markers, crayons, anything of the art sort out of the kitchen where I can't see what's going on! For reasons like red crayon on carpet, etc., etc. ;)

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

well I think it's the awesomest room around! Without squinting! Can you come build that at my house? And bring yer giant pencil!

Heather said...

Holy shat! You move fast! I don't know how you get all of the stuff done you do with little tikes running all over the place! It's impossible around my house. One project here...months to completion.

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

Looks awesome. I want that in my room!

Emily said...

That looks like such a fun little nook! Your kids are going to love it.

Rebecca D said...

The part you showed looks pretty freakin amazing... Not at all like shat...

Gwynn Gang said...

Mandi! My goodness, you've outdone yourself!
Follow up on my entertainment center: I just jammed another too-big-for-the-fricken-nail-gun-nail into my hubby's gun. He was pissed last night, reading the manual to put it all back together after taking the whole thing apart. But he's off from work today, working on the entertainment center that is becoming our biggest project ever. I promise to send you a picture when the thing looks half-way decent.

I have four bedrooms in our home that could use a bednook and white board...When can I fly you out to Sacramento? ;0)

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

dear mandi.

seriously. i hate you.

or i'm incredibly jealous..

let's go with that one.

i ditto the pencil sentiments.

and i want to come and doodle..
in my underoos. it's the only way to draw.

love.
your arch enemy
kimbo

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

I laughed/snorted when I saw the pencil. Lorted? Snafed? Anyway, that pencil is awesome. And the first thing I noticed about the space? Cat Bat Shat. I love it!

calikas said...

lol I LOVE IT!!! nice work. Trust me, some day they will think back and be like "man, our mom was so freaking awesome. She built us so much stuff"

Shirley said...

I don't care that the house is a mess...your projects rock!!

WhettenWild said...

That looks so awesome! I love it! Those pictures of Johnny and Mckenna are hilarious. Especially the one of Johnny.

Carisa Knox said...

Citrasolv concentrate will take out red nail polish out of your carpet. Red crayon.... Phhhht! No big thing. FYI, the Lavendar Bergomot is my favorite scent that is available and I keep three big bottles on hand for pretty much everything. Warning, be careful not to get it on painted surfaces unless you MEANT to go there. Powerful, all natural stuff!!! If you can find it locally, Amazon has it on their site.
Love what you have done and can't wait to see what you do next.

Pattie said...

You are so funny. I remember when one of mine wrote with my new pink lipstick all over a white couch. LOL. I'm glad I snapped that picture cuz it was the only funny thing about it! :D Love your pics.

.:michelle:. said...

I am seriously in love with your blog. You are so funny. Don't get me wrong, I love the projects you post, but I swear I laugh so hard every time I read. Can we be BFF's?
Ha ha ha:)

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

i thought i should mention that your blog title is what i say about almost every craft i do.

it should have been my blog title.

is it too late to change it? hmmmmmm

Teri said...

So first of all? It looks fabulous. I would love to live in that room. Your kids are super lucky. Second of all? "Fat cat shat" - did the kids do that by accident? Or are you alluding to another issue with the carpet? ;)

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

The table turned out great! And the entire space looks GOOD. Don't be hard on yourself, we are always our worst critics. I've learned if I don't point out flaws in my work, no one is none the wiser. Unless it's Spencers dad, he will always point out my flaws, which is why I can't be in my house if he is there.