Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake.

I've heard the kitchen referred to as the heart of the home.

I never really got that until now.

See,

I've wanted stools for thee ole kitchen island. I've waited out of pure cheapness. And, well, it just doesn't get much better than $19 for a tall saddle-style stool,

so I took the plunge. Finally.


And in all cheesy-gooey-Mommy-ness, I am in love with this cozy kitchen feeling.

I don't have a huge, mile-long island like you fancy dancy people; mine's real small. I prefer the term "intimate".

I've got all my lil homies all up in my face.

And it's a good thing. Breakfast time, lunch time, snack time, homework/snack time--

Kids half-nekkid, homegirls coming down for their peaches 'n cream oatmeal in mismatched church shoes,

melts my ice-cold heart, it does.

And behold my assistants!

I love their little fat hands "helping" me.

Mainly. Usually. Mostly.

I'm stretching out mealtimes, here--

I'm making up snacktimes for crying out loud. I just love all my little butt munches chattering and nom noming on whatever we whip up.

We're having cooking classes-- I stand by and observe. Stop the whole dozen eggs from being cracked,

fistfuls of brown sugar eaten, sharp knives being used like ninja swords. You know, that sort of thing.

'Cause it happens.

I guess like little Ron John here, I'm thinking it's a close your eyes and savor it before it's gone moment.

Yeah. It's that good.

12 comments:

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Okay, where the heck did you find $19 seats?!?! Hook a sistah up.

Trina said...

Most important kitchen feature, hands down! I love how my kids migrate to the bar when I'm in the kitchen. (Unless I was JUST about to lick the bowl without anybody noticing. But other than that, I love it.)

Aleks said...

you have the best posts ever. and the sweetest little family. i want to have your family if i ever decide to grow up.

slommler said...

Yes! It is that good! I remember when. I have stools but no munchkins anymore...all teens!!
No longer care how to make...just want to eat and veg!!!
Ha!
Hugs
SueAnn
PS Love the pics!!!

Amanda said...

So gorgeous! I'm gonna be looking for some island chairs for my 12x30" island too! Thanks for the inspiration (and you crack me up too!).

Pressed Petals said...

nom nom is right.

Emily said...

Great pictures. I love that you make treats with your kids. I need to do that more. They love it when we do.

WhettenWild said...

Nice stools. Great deal too!

Teri said...

Love it. The kidlets and the food and your deal.

1 Funky Woman said...

Hey girl! How the hell are you? I can't stand cooking with my kids, I think since I hate cooking it seems to make it 10 times worse! I just hand them the recipe and hope for the best!


Megan

Andrea said...

I love having chubby little hands to help in the kitchen and you know if some licked spoons and fingers get put back in the bowl...it's just more flavor!

dena4kids said...

Love the stools! Where did you get them? Please don't say IKEA I am NOT going back in that store!