Monday, April 11, 2011

WARNING: you must be this dorky to read this blog.



I've been holding out on you. I feel like I've been a meanie.


See, I haven't told you about a few sumthin' sumthin's that have brought me much happiness and hilarity.
These books:

they are a must have if I was on a desert island. If the house was burning down, I'd grab the kids in one arm and these books in the other. I josh not. Just ask the hubby as he looks over to see why I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe and I'm pounding the bed with my fist:

"are you reading that, again?"

and I choke out a yes and simultaneously wipe the tears from my eyes. They never get old, people; they never get old.


"So, what are they?" You ask. "Is this the secret to life?" you ask. "Is this the key to my happiness?"

Yes, and yes to the latter two. And to the first question:

let us see for ourselves, shall we?

Take "Interior Desecrations": it's a collection of craptastic 70's home design, and as Lileks says,
"Welcome to Hell: where it's always '73 and Sonny."

And they're just delightfully hee-hee-sterical.
Yes, they are that funny. Which is why I own every book James Lileks has ever written. Even the one that is out of print. Hunted that one down, too.

Frankly, I'm concerned my house might show up in a book like this, 30 years from now.




"Mommy Knows Worst" has gathered up the worst advice/advertisements/ideas from the early 20th century of motherhood:

Just looking at this bed makes me feel labor pains.

"Gastroanomolies" and "The Gallery of Regrettable Food" is your grandma's old cookbook photos, and I don't recommend flipping through when your stomach is only so-so.

Food photography has changed so much in the last few years.

And how.

One of my faves:

Where does this guy get this stuff?

And there it is: nearly a thousand collective pages of pure enjoyment. Dig in.

20 comments:

maggie@midwesternsewinggirl said...

Holy Crow...I just spent the last 10 minutes almost peeing in my pants...these are HILARIOUS...I need to get 'em...seriously funny stuff...

Emily said...

Those books look hilarious. I will have the check them out.

Layne Bushell said...

O.M.GOSH! That was hysterical. Please may I check one out from you? That is pure awesomeness!

Dede said...

WOW, you've landed on a gold mine! Happiness and hilarity, here I come!

Pressed Petals said...

hahaha! so glad you posted about these books. i was just thinking about the gastro one you told me about. i found a blog by him: http://lileks.com/
i may have to run to my local book store!

828 Miles Later said...

You HAVE to read, "I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence" by Amy Sedaris. You will love it. It sits on my night stand and when I pass by and glance at it I chuckle a little. This woman has NO shame and I love it.
The book is a mock "how to entertain" book. Enjoy!

Tinamarie said...

Thank you soo much for the laughter-ache! I love laughing so hard that my stomach and cheeks hurt. These are officially on my birthday/mom's day/christmas list FOREVER (or until I get them all). :)

Lisa said...

"Surrounded and outgunned, the lamp and pillow held out as long as they could." So stinking funny!

Teri said...

I have never heard of this guy, but just so you know, I *am* that dorky. So this really made me laugh.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

This looks hysterical. Reminds me of the blog, Catalog Living. Have you seen it? It's the Sonic lady that write it. Cracks me up every day.

chris w said...

Oh mah gosh. Those are awesome! You should read the Happy Hockey Family. It would be up your alley.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

I LOVE IT.

I need to get these for my coffee table, the world needs the happiness these books have to offer.

Anny said...

These are awesome! I've seen some of the 70s pictures before but had no idea where they were from :D

slommler said...

The titles alone made me laugh!! Sounds like wholesome good reads for sure!! Ha!
Hugs
SueAnn

Dharma said...

Got "Regrettable Food" for my Mom for Mum's Day coming up. She collects cookbooks and this HAS to be in her collection! Thanks Lady!

Libby said...

I am sooo glad my mom was not into fads! That first one looks like the wallpaper a neighbour had! (flocked & reflective-black & gold yuck!)

I think I have the books the rest of the photos came from! Really unappetizing in the original photos too.

Kathleen said...

Thanks for the laugh! I've been wasting my time reading Algebra for Dummies when I could of been reading those! :)

dena4kids said...

heehee I love those books! My fav is Interior Desecrations. Although, I do love a good candyland reference.=)

Audra said...

Oh Mandi! I must find these books and get them, all of them. I laughed so hard at the first picture, then I coughed so hard I peed.my.pants! Yes, I am serious.

I have not laughed so hard since the last time I picked up one of my Laurie Notaro books. I am just sayin'!

Jon Stewart said...

I remember the picture of the matching couch and wallpaper from Doubleday Book of Interior Decorating as a kid! And those two violin/footprint looking things I never figured out what they were!