Friday, April 15, 2011

Insane in the Membrane.

I'm so glad I had that peptalk, 'cause not long after, I had the wild hair to start a new project. And in typical Mandi fashion, it's a hot mess.

See, it's been on my to-do list for quite some time, but I just wasn't sure how to begin.

When I was a little boy, errr, I mean, girl, that's what I meant-- I had a window seat. Both the girls had one, actually. The boys weren't loved so they didn't, but the girls did.

And it was awesome. Built by the Daddy-o; covered in carpet. . . those were the days. It still holds my New Kids and Jem and the Holograms memorabilia.

No, no, Mom-- it's okay. You can keep it all.

I have such a generous spirit.

So, when I saw this project, I's all, "Really? Really? You just, like, build a frame and go for it? I thought it was massively complex. I am sooo up for this."

Prior to this craptastic activity, we had a couch sitting in our boudoir. One time, someone sat on it. A few times, the kids slept/slobbered on it when they'd had nightmares of zombies eating their brains.

Anywho, it took up a lot of floor. The couch will have a wonderful home in the basement, and this windowseat will only take 1/3 of our much needed space.


So I got to work. And it was totally like "Uncle Buck". You know, "He's cooking our garbage!!" Except I wasn't cooking anything, I was just cutting up all the crap we have lying around.

I josh not. Remember my rule of taking the kids to Lowes: I'd rather chew broken glass. The only thing needed, not laying around, were these purty hinges I used for the storage space beneath that holds my gun rack and severed heads.

Perhaps I went a little overboard with the framing. But as a mother, I imagined all 200 pounds of my children jumping on it simultaneously, and then potentially getting their friends to join them. I wanted it super strong.

So, as I was saying, everything was scraps. Leftover 2 by 4's from the basement, the top is made of freaking leftover shelving.

Waste not want not, know what I'm sayin'?

The front is cut up particle board that I had leftover from when a friend asked me to cut a piece up, and instead of cutting and returning said piece, I hit it with my van and had to go buy a new huge sheet of it. Much cussing was heard that day, I can tell you.

I opted to do the front of my lil windowseat just like the molding already in the boudoir, as seen in exhibit B:

What can I say? I like to be matchy-matchy.

There's massive amounts of finishing touches that need doing on this little task, like rerouting the heating vents, adding some trim here and there, and so forth and so on.

I dream of a cushy tushy pillow, and many gorgeous throw pillows to adorn the top. . .

but just for right now,

smoke 'em if ya got 'em, 'cause I am done, and I am pooped.

Visit thecsiproject.com

28 comments:

Kim said...

That is AWESOME!!

Heathery said...

Wow! I am totally inspired to try to make my own window seat! It won't turn out nearly so nice though, haha.

WhettenWild said...

Holy cow it turned out so cute! I love it!

Dude I was laughing so hard about the 200 pounds of kids and friends jumping on it. That would SO happen at my house.

Udygirl said...

Mandi you are freakin amazing! That looks awesome... I'm jealous!! I was always jealous of your window seat growing up. :D

Layne Bushell said...

love it. 'nuf said.

Dara Lynn said...

I always have to prepare myself before I read your blog...your one liners of "chew broken glass" and craptastic always bring laughter and smiles on this end of the computer! That window seat ....TOUCHDOWN!!!! (fist pump! )

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

i..you just...wood...and then...window seat..i...um....really?...nails....screws....hinge...jumping...i mean. WOW.

Julie {BuildSewReap} said...

This looks great! I did one of these in our old apartment in a window area that was awesomely uneven and the stairwell was too small to get it up from the garage so I had to actually build not one but two uneven parts to a window seat but it was totally worth it in the end. I loved the extra storage and the better use of the space. For a cushion, I actually made a really long super thick narrow roll-up pad that we actually left rolled at one end. It was stuffed with lots of quilting batting. Also, for rerouting our vent, we just got a right turn vent piece and a large white vent cover mounted to the front of the seat and sent the air out through that. I wrapped the new section of venting with that ironing board/hot pad heat resistant batting from the fabric store and it seemed to remain insulated and safe.

Bee said...

I have always wanted a window seat- that looks so great! guess I wasn't loved as a child just like your brothers;)

Joanna said...

Yay! This is exactly what we are thinking of doing in our bay in our kitchen. But you are much more handy than I. Shoot.

gina3 said...

It's like a little stage for your kids to perform on; maybe dance to New Kids. Honestly, I don't know how you do it. You must have a lot of your dad's talent flowing through your veins. Reroute a vent? build a windowseat? You are completely out of my league. I'm in awe.

alamama said...

seriously, i do not know where yo uhave the time to do all of these awesome projects.

Emily said...

That looks awesome. I loved your window seat! I always thought it was so cool, I wanted one.

P.S. Now I don't feel so bad for still having all of my New Kids stuff. Maybe we should get together wearing our shirts, buttons and hats, and watch those awesome videos while playing the card game. Ü

dougssunrise said...

Absolutely beautiful!!

cehendricks said...

That's flippin awesome! K I think I need to harness some of your skills and get to work on my bench seat dining. Or you could come here and help and keep me highly entertained the whole project. :)

Dawn said...

Your writing just makes me smile. You could write about an insurance convention, and I would be totally attentive. Oh, and the bench rocks, even though somehow I don't think I could make it look even half as easy as you just did ;)

Athena said...

When I was in jr. high my dad made one of these for the front room and my friend and I made sure we slept on it, before it was even finished, good times. LOVE window seats, I can't wait to have one someday, in every room!

~april said...

aaawwwwsooommme! i want one or three in my house!

Kristi said...

It already looks awesome! I wish we had a window like that so I could get Charles to make a window seat. I'm sure that's just what he's always wanted to do. ha ha

Audra said...

Ah...may...zing! I.can.not.find.the.words...
Sigh....
Serious Envy.
You Seriously, Hard Core...Rock!

The Coys said...

Super cool. I am in awe of your talent. I totally agree with the taking-kids-to Lowe's thing. It's torture.

Teri said...

Mandi, I love it! I love that you had a vision and you went with it - and it looks awesome!

Kim said...

Aaaaaaaawesoooooome!! I want one.

Kim said...

Ha! I just read the previous comments. I guess April and I think alike. (That you rule.)

the J in PJs Til Noon said...

That's amazing! I love that you used leftover stuff. I want to be a woodworking gal like you!

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

Great job. I would have gone overboard with the framing too. Visiting from CSI.
~Kimberlee
How to add a Back to Top Button. 

Kathleen said...

You are freaking amazing and I mean that in the best possible way. You go girl!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

This might be my favorite project of yours to date.

You want to know what my first thought was?

"If a serial killer came in the house, this would be the perfect hiding spot!!!"

Why, why do I think and say things like that?