Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Place for Foodstuffs.

Don't hate me.

This is a half-tutorial. Now don't be mad!!

This top part of my "new" pantry?

Sat down and counted: 40+ cuts. Just that top part. Does anyone wanna read a 5 page post with several diagrams?

I thought not.

Okay, now that we've got that behind us, let us move on.

This:

is what started it all. It's a Clive Christian kitchen. While the menfolk were enjoying the Superbowl, I flipped through Architectural Digest and swooned over this kitchen. You wanna see the other side, don'tcha? DON'TCHA?

Of course you do.

Holy.Crap.Balls.

Okay, so here's my before pik-chur:

that's my family room/kitchen, prior to move in. Ain't it speee-ecial?


But really, it looked like this up til last week:

And I love my chalkboard, I do. And my groceries sign. Now look at that luxury pantry. Now back to mine. Now back to the luxury pantry. Nooow back to mine.

That's what your pantry could look like, if your pantry used Old Spice.


That cookie recipe is delicious, by the way.

First things first. A new, Dutch door.

Thanks to my great pal Layne for tipping me off that those are called "Dutch", because I believe I was calling it a "farmhouse" style. Yee-ah.

So this new door: of course the "cabinetry" is faux, and it looks all difficult, right?


3/4 in. plywood. Some molding cut on 45's to make your molding on top. While this is trim run through "the shaper", I'd suggest casing to keep it cheap and still pretty.

Looks like I need another coat on that, darn it.

Okay so look at the big picture again:

and don't talk about my carpet. Regard the dimensions of the door. The top "cabinets", and then the 2nd set of "cabinets"? Twice the size of the top set. And then the bottom "cabinets" are. . . you guessed it. Triple the size of the top "cabinets". It's pleasing to the eye, no?

A word on the pillars. Yeah, you could buy some fluting and slap those down there, but I thought a 3-D, real pillar look was better.

That's some large fluting, there. Pretty much the biggest you can buy. $15 a piece, by the by. Okay, so some of that, and the sides are pieces of 1x4x8. Now, this is a two-man job. The Daddy-o came over, we clamped the 1x4's on both sides of the fluting, starting at the bottom and worked our way up slowly. Wielding my trusty nail gun, I toe-nailed it (i.e., shot the nails in at an angle) into the wall, and put nails in directly from the 1x4 into the fluting.

I would also like to mention that my awesome toe-nailing resulted in a nail shooting out, across my family room, hitting the freaking WINDOW, and bouncing back to hit my DISHES. Oops.

Also, I lost you back there, didn't I?

One more thing. I'm sorry. Really.

The cove molding you see on the sides is to hide the not-so-straight 1x4's. Okey dokey? Plus, more molding is always better. ALWAYS.

One quick word on the crown molding up here:

this can be done a meelion different ways. Pick your favorite molding. Go at it. The top was done by molding stacking. Plain Jane molding, stacked. See? The very top is a 1x10; next goes crown molding. Then it's dentil. And then, and then. . . .

See? You are sooo interested right now, huh?

And here we are.

All done.

Mostly. I really should get up on a chair and do a little more spackle/painting. But let's keep that between you and me, okey dokey?

Yes, that is an apple pie, cooling on my new Dutch door!

I do realize since it's not an outside door, the point of that is totally lost. I know. It was to properly break it in, okay?

Besides eating that apple pie? A lock went on the bottom.

Baby girl was driving me nuts with full access to the cocoa pebbles.


Visit thecsiproject.com

49 comments:

Teri said...

Firstly, I would like to say that this is pretty much the coolest pantry ever. EVER. Second, I would totally have forgiven you for using a fake pie in that shot, but the fact that it's real? You are super-woman. And I would like to come over for pie. Thirdly, I really did LOL IRL, BTW. OMG. Fourthly, thank you for the indirect tip of taking pictures before you move in! We take possession of our new house mid-March, and I definitely need to take some "befores". And then scour your blog for some drool-worthy inspo. Because the idea of all that cool painting and molding and using molding where it doesn't really belong but it doesn't matter because it looks freaking awesome has me all swoony and all "It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine." And then Cliff will be all, "You'll never afford it! Live in the now!" And then I'll be all...oh wait. A little off-track there.

Awesome pantry!!

Teri said...

And I just noticed (as I was showing my mom your handiwork) that you made that clock! Did you post about that before? How did I miss that? It's gorgeous!! :)

Tiffany said...

That turned out beautifully!
And that other kitchen - can that really even be called a kitchen, kitchen is such a plain word that really doesn't do that room justice - anyways back to what I was saying, that other "room" while gorgeous and all, I'm thinking maybe we were duped by Photoshop or something cause real people don't have kitchens like that, I mean cmon do they? *Please say no so I don't turn my dislike for my kitchen into hate* I mean maybe the Old Spice guy does but normal folk? Nah I'm calling Shenanigans on that pic! ;)
Congrats on your win!

Tam @ Sew Dang Cute said...

Can I just pay you to come make that for me because I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that even if you walked me through it in person step-by-step? So pretty!!!!

gina3 said...

Old Spice reference is hilarious. The work put in to this pantry is mindblowing and the result is simply amazing. The pic of you and your dad is priceless. So, are you planning on adding a little punch to the other door near it?

I Play Outside The Box said...

Spectacular!!!

Lori said...

Nice to show a picture of the Dad! This was a stupendous project, you should be proud! I'm just dang amazed.

ACW said...

Loving the lock up high on the pantry in the before. Such a design no-no but oh so crucial!

You are amazing! And I am so super jealous of your Dad. I don't have one and I would give my right arm AND my eyesight to have one half as lovely as yours!!

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

so glad that you took a pic of you and Dad!! that is so cool! you are AWESOME!! hugs, Cathy

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures/Treasured Moments said...

I am glad you showed us more of your pantry. I printed pics of it the other day and showed all my friends at work how awesome you are. It's truly amazing. I love when you get to post about the daddy-o.

Sarah @ The Bird's Papaya said...

Just found your blog. LAUGHING my butt off at your kid quotes. We keep ours all on facebook, and in a booked called "oh what you said". SO HILARIOUS!
I just love all your projects. You are so talented!!
Congrats on the big win on Crafting with the Stars :)

Sylvia said...

Now will your husband let you paint the cabinetry to match your FABULOUS Dutch pantry? {he should...sheesh!}

So amazing...wish I had one! Wish. Wish. Wish. Someday...

Joanna said...

You never cease to amaze. That is really something incredible. BTW, that cookie recipe is my go to. I love it. But I can only make them when I have an event to take cookies to; otherwise, I eat them. All.

Mrs.B said...

LOVE it!!! That's awesome!

Emily said...

I love it! Awesome is the only word to describe it!

kiki comin said...

i think your holy.crap.balls. was a perfect way to describe that house of a kitchen. whoa. i kinda think i love your a million times more. really. and i love that you locked your bottom door. I NEED THAT! amazing.:)

Kerrie said...

I came upon your blog right about the time you started the competition and I just wanted to say I love reading it! You're talented and pretty darn funny too!
I love love love the apothecary cabinet. My husband is a pharmacist and so he loved it as well.

kerriewade.blogspot.com

WhettenWild said...

So dang cool! It really turned out great!

Heather@The Black's Best said...

Holy cow...this is frickin a.maz.ing! When you get something in your head you don't just go part way! Great job dressing up a regular pantry.

Allyson Pecilunas said...

OMG this is so absolutely GORGEOUS!! It looks so custom. I am drooling!! I used to read your blog before I started one and my other computer died so I lost all of my bookmarks. Anyhow I found you again and just added you to my blog list. Come check me out if you get a chance. I am a new blogger. Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

Dude. You already know how I feel about this little pantry situation. I just had to say how jealous I am of your cute picture with "our" dad. Ok bye!

love your guts
mandi

The Crafty Side Of Life said...

So, would you say that was a "Dutch Apple Pie"????? HAHA. Looks awesome!! LOVE it!

The Crafty Side Of Life said...

PS, I am your newest and most favorite (even though you don't know it yet) follower! YAY!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

This is an absolutely incredible project! I hope it's okay that I linked to it from my blog today as one of my favorite projects of the week! http://www.positivelysplendid.com/2011/02/saturday-seven.html

slommler said...

OMG!!! So fabulous!!! I love it and the process tutorial as well!! Thanks!! Beautiful
Hugs
SueAnn
PS> save me some pie

Blessed said...

I AM IN LOVVVVVVVEEEEEEE!! Ok..so now you can come to my house and work your magic!!;)

I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes said...

This looks SOOO good! Love it!

Lisa said...

Girl you are amazing. And how cute is your dad to come over and do stuff like that with you? Seriously - this should be in a magazine. You are some kind of serious awesomeness!!!

kim said...

that is gorgeous girl, ya'll did a great job! & I can't believe you poped up in my tip junkie email, yay!:)

Stacy said...

It is truly one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! And your cute dad looks so proud :)

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Even with the half-tute, I still can't wrap my mind around how you can layer wood and make it look so good!

Leca Unplugged said...

That is GORGEOUS!!! Count me jealous!

Madame Samm said...

without a doubt my honey child. you had me at WOW! which was the first thing that came out of my mouth...today'creative blog had you highlighted. I am sew thankful...new follower...girl you are amazing...Dad and YOU are wonders...

Jean said...

You are a genius! What color is that on your walls? I love it!

got2havefaith said...

Your site is so freaking cool!!! I will be pouring over it shortly. Thanks for the inspiration.

Marjory Steele Skousen said...

I just happened to stumble upon your site. OMG Girl, you are the woman! I think I want to be your new best friend. HeeHee Now a constant follower and would love you to come by and visit me. You go GIRL!

April and Jared Fenn said...

love it! You're awesome and thanks for sharing! So great to see a pic of your dad. He is such a great guy and so freakin talented.

L2L said...

This is amazing!!!! wow!!!

Amy said...

Okay that is just awesome! seriously Awesome!

N @ Cheap Like a Birdie said...

Simply love it! I am certainly going to have to learn to "molding stack"!!!

Check Out- Cheap Like A Birdie Blog

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

I LOVE this!! I would love for you to share it at my Linky Party!

*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

xoxokara

Duchess said...

Incredible! I LOVE it.

Sarah S. said...

I found your blog after doing a search to look for cabinet molding. Your pantry is breath taking. I love it. I had a question about the trim that you used on your cupboard doors. I have some flat front doors that are needing trim on them. I love yours and was wondering if you could lead me in the right direction on what to get and where to start.

my happy bluebird said...

I found your blog through the "Lil Luna" blog. I absolutely love your pantry -- and hoping if I show the photo to my hubby he can do the same to ours. Thanks for sharing! Linda :-)

Unknown said...

I love anyone who uses "Balls" as an exclamation! Nicely done! In our family, we spell it: "Ballz". For some reason this makes it extra special.

Sue@House Pretty said...

Hi there, I just foundyour blog through a blog hop, and, oh my goodness, do I LOVE your pantry door. That has to be the most elaborate door I have ever seen, in a modern home, that is! WOW! How ironic, the next thing on our to do list is to design a pantry, in the whole with three shelves that the previous owner tried to call a pantry! I want your door, and by george, I think I'm going to have your door, or at least a very close look to it. For the top, just different kind of moldings stacked, eh!

By the way, I just became your newest follower, yah! Would sure love it if you could follow back, in between baking pies, that is, lol!

Milliscent Morgan said...

I like this page but automatically trying to find a post regarding on pantry doors.

Jenny said...

How do you attached it all to the actual door?

Gwen Miller said...

Wow, your kitchen is beautiful! I love the elegance of it all. Everything looks so good, and goes so well together. I love the crown molding you put above the pantry! It's so detailed, and really completes it.

http://www.contemporarymouldings.com