Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Well I'll be.

I made it past round one.

And no one is more surprised than I, believe you me.

So, let's chat about this craptacular little project o' mine, shall we? A tutorial, if you will?

Get yourself some mirrors from yer dollar store.

Clear them out. Let the register ladies stare at you strangely and then ask you if you're having a huge drug party or something.

Then say, "Yeah." In a monotone. And then stumble towards your car. Because, you know, they look really bored.

Now, you need some wood. Something thick; something that will not bow, 'cause you know, there's mirrors on there and everything, and bowing just won't do. I used a 1/2 inch cheap piece of plywood.

Now, I am showing you the poplar 1/2 in. trim I purchased. If I were doing it over again, I'd buy something fancier, 'cause why the heck not?

Lay out your mirrors and your trim in your rows the way you want them, exactly. I mean, like, tight. That way you can mark the wood and know where to cut your backing piece.

Everyone with me?

Umkay. So you've cut your backing piece to the exact size you need it. What's next? Frame in the mirror with some of your 1/2 in. trim. This means cutting all the corners on 45°'s.

Have I mentioned how bad I hate making frames? Oh. That many times, huh? I always seem to get my frames just not quite perfect.

Note: it is mandatory to slop the wood glue around.

This is really as easy as it looks. Set your mirrors in, and remember: tight against your trim. Each piece of trim you cut, make sure to set mirrors in as you go to ensure that they are straight up and down, and tight. Just like the button on my pants after Christmas. Wood glue your trim down, and move on to the next row.

You know what's the only pain about this little project?

While one row of trim is going to be the long, end to end pieces, the other direction is going to be tons of teensy weensy pieces to cut. I recommend having one piece as your measuring stick for all the other pieces you're going to cut. And ya know? It's not that big a deal when you're in the zone with the saw, right?

Now, stop right there!

*What I Learned the Hard Way!!:
-Just go ahead and paint all your wood beforehand. Save yourself the hassle.
-If, if you really do have your backing piece the perfect size, and if you have your trim in tight against every piece of mirror, you will not, I repeat WILL NOT need liquid nails or any other glue of any kind for your mirrors. Your trim truly will be like a frame holding your mirrors perfectly in place.

Take my word for it--since I attempted to slide the mirrors out to paint it, and they wouldn't budge. And then I turned it over and shook it and nothing moved. I had a blanket underneath to catch them, I swear.

And you are done, baby! Honestly this is a couple hour project.


And you can keep the $699 you would have spent at Pottery Barn for the same dealy-o.

Plus, you got to visit the dollar store, so, score.

38 comments:

Liz said...

It was the presence of molding that gave it away, I bet!

Sylvia said...

I'm sorry but after one visit to your blog I totally knew this one was all YOU!!! You have the most amazing taste and wit to boot!! So glad you won.

I just couldn't quite fathom it being a dollar store project...seriously?! You ROCK!!

The Loops said...

This was my favorite! Great job!

Pressed Petals said...

congrats! can't wait to see what you do next!

MrsJoseph said...

i think we all knew it was you because of that fabulous molding! although, as much as i love you, i voted because it was fantastic and i want one, not because i knew it was yours.

Lori said...

Ok, I had one too many glasses of wine tonight, I had to read this three times. But hey, I would have painted the wood first too!

WhettenWild said...

I like yours better than the pottery barn one. You rock! Can't wait to see round 2!

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

This project is awesome! This is the one I voted for, and I totally knew it was yours! but I voted for you cause you rocked that dollar store project....cause, ya know, YOU ROCK! Can't wait to see what you do next week!

Candice said...

Yay! That's the one I voted for too. Congrats! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the next round!

Teri said...

I love it, Mandi! Congrats! :)

Kim said...

BEAUTIFUL!! congrats!!!!!

Mommybreath said...

Ok Mandi,
I happened upon your little slice of heaven through the wonderful Cheri.
I usually don't comment but I had to say that I love your blog. You are candid, and funny, and your shtuff is really great reading.
So thank you. I am going to add you to my blog roll, hope that's ok...
Em

Jen said...

I KNEW IT!! I knew it the second I saw that mirror!! =D You ROCK it like a STAR, Mandi!

slommler said...

Congrats!! I saw that you were in the top!! So that is great! Loved this project! And your tutorial is great!
Hugs
SueAnn

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

CRAP!!!

I like that one best, but I thought for SURE you were the coffee table sign and I voted for THAT one!

Argh!!!!

Ok, I'm not going to try and out-think the contest next time.

SO glad you still made it to round two despite me being an idiot.

Emily said...

Congrats!! I loved this project. It is so cool.

alimoll said...

I LOVE it! And I had a feeling that project was yours! Awesome!

HS with Him said...

totally awesome! Can't even remember how I found your blog, but I crack up every time, reading your comments. And,of course, the seriously cool stuff is great too!
Blessings,
Shirley

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Ya, I voted for the mirror. I think I might actually make one of those. Love it.

Brooke

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy said...

I totally voted for you!!! Not only did I love it (totally want to make one now!) but I totally recognized your mantel so I knew it was you!!! WAY to go!

Brooke said...

LOVE this! What dollar store did you purchase the mirrors at? I can't seem to find any with a beveled edge at my local dollar store.
Thanks!,

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Brooke-- I got my mirrors at Dollar Tree. Any of those near you?

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

So I was totally looking through the PB catalog today, and when I saw that mirror, I said to myself, I could totally make one of those, just like the crafting with the stars lady. Little did I know, until now, as this internal conversation was taking place, that that lady was you.

It was you!!!

It was you!!!!!!!!!!!

kiki comin said...

i agree with everyone else..amazing. I love that you took something that I would totally pass by and created something gorgeous out of it!:)

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

Hey Mandi! Come on over to my blog & pick up your Versatile Blogger Award! hugs, Cathy

Brittany Lynn said...

We might be soul sisters. I just met you today, reading this tutorial, but...you had me at craptastic. Oh, yeah, and that amazing tutorial was pretty cool too.

Anne said...

That looks great! Just as good as the uber expensive one.

Heather@The Black's Best said...

I love your sense of humor that comes through in this blog! I stopped over from I Am Momma Hear Me Roar and am so glad I did. I love this beautiful mirror project, can you make me one? Hahahaha!

Angela said...

Oh my goodness I love it!! Although we dont have a dollar store here in New Zealand and our cheap $2 shop knockoffs would have tacky mirrors. Will keep searching though!

inday_adin said...

Found you on Ucreate so I have to check your blog. I love what you did with those mirrors. It looks just like the PB version. You did a fantastic job! :) Thanks for sharing!

Adin B

whitley said...

When I first saw this mirror....I told my husband there had to be a way to recreate it. And YOU did it and saved me the trouble of figuring it ou.You. Are.. Awesome! Did the beveled mirrors come from a particular dollar store...i've got to have them!.

Jessica said...

This turned out beautifully...thanks for sharing.

Jessica @ http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com/

MariaT said...

Just discovered your site and I'm loving it! You're gonna have yourself a new blog stalker :)

Deborah Flowers said...

Well, I just came across this on tipnut... so I didn't vote... don't know where to vote, but this mirror project is fab! I am definitely gonna try this... very soon. I love it!
Thanks so much for sharing your creativity!

homespun1 said...

wow!!! this is great!!! I need to come up with this for my daughter who adores stuff like this!!

Sarah said...

I'm going to have to try this once I find some cheapie mirrors. Looking forward to it!

Danetta Jensen said...

I was wanting to make one of these, you did AWESOME!!! I can only HOPE to do as good as a job as you did! But, I was wondering how big of ply wood?Could you email me the measurements?? PLEASEE!! ;) How many mirrors, ect. Thanks and I will have to let you know how it goes! dm.jensen23@hotmail.com

sweetnektar said...

Love your work!! Awesome stuff.....made me laugh about the drug party.....always good to have a laugh...otherwise what is the point of life? :)