Sunday, December 26, 2010

Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Welcome to my family room.

Which, during the day, even on cloudy dark days, is bathed in natural light (despite this exposed-for-the-windows picture).

And. . .it's also a place for my kids to get their toys stuck.

Anywho, I love all the windows; however, this room offers no light fixtures for when the sun goeth down.

And then it becomes the pit of despair. Only the light from the kitchen keeps us from banging our heads on the wall and our knees on the furniture.

So we need a lamp, of course.

And I didn't want it to be any old lamp, I wanted it to have a certain style. That certain, je ne sais quoi.

And would a regular, old granny lamp do that?

Je pense not.

You know what I wanted? I wanted a french lamp post. But in my house. Yeah, the outside ones? In my house. In.

(source)
So I scoured the interweb for an indoor lamp with an outdoor look,
and it let me down. I looked for about a year. Seriously-- we lived in darkness after the sun went down for a year while I searched. No dice.

So I did what any girl would do in that situation:
I went to Lowe's, bought myself the French 3-Light Outdoor Black Lantern, wrestled the box home, and started trying to put it together.

Yes, my friends: an outdoor lamp.
Even though I knew it was meant to be hard wired (i.e., no plug).
Even though I knew it was meant to be cemented into the ground.

And I have zero knowledge of electricity. Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

And ya know, the hubs totally came through for me, man. He helped me put it together after he watched me turn things around and around and stare at all the pieces blankly.

He spliced in a regular cord for me.

And then, using 3 inch screws, he screwed it right down into the joists so it won't go anywhere.

'Cause, you know, it would hurt to get konked on the noggin with that big and heavy of a lamp.


And do I love it?

Is a fat dog heavy?

19 comments:

Emily said...

That is the coolest thing ever!!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures/Treasured Moments said...

I have so many things to say about this. First of all. No wonder you have incredible photos in your house during the day. I live in a 1970s ranch with a covered porch in front and back. Not a ton of light in here day or night. However, I just use traditional lights or overhead lighting. I did install porch lights above my bar in the kitchen. Only my friend Mandy would think to put an outdoor lamp post in her home and make it work. I think you have such a great imagination. I love the way you think and write.

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

"What'd you use...a 38?"

"38...39...whatever it takes."

And as much as I love the creative lamp solution, what I REALLY want to know is...why do you have a sign telling you how many miles to Bakersfield??

Jen said...

ingenuity:

inventiveness: the power of creative imagination

the property of being ingenious; "a plot of great ingenuity"; "the cleverness of its design"

mandi tremayne

dena4kids said...

I have always love out door lamp post! So pretty I love it!=)

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

Love Love LOVE it! Your house is the coolest!

WhettenWild said...

So cool! Good thing you have Jeff to help you out! That looks so good!

Angela said...

Very nice. As usual, enjoyed your writing too.

Teri said...

Yaaaaaayyyyy! This is awesome! What a great - and daring - idea! I'm glad your husband liked this idea more than the laundry room floor. :)

Dara said...

I Love it! I think you should get another one for the opposite corner! Oh and put it on dimmer switches...in case you want a mood or no mood!!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

I love it. I may just have to highjack your idea one of these days....and you cause I love you.

love your guts
mandi

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

oh my gosh. I just saw these at home depot (waiting for my daughter to come out of the bathroom) and thought...I know these are meant to go outside..but I would totally put this in my house! so cute! I mean like SOO CUTE!

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

what's wrong with a third nipple..chandler had a third nipple...oh wait he called it a nubin...

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

C'est tres chic mon amie! Je t'adore!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

I totally love the lamp, would never have thought of that. Trust you to come up with a great idea like that. It looks fab by those signs which I'm sure you made.
Brooke

XXOO AMY said...

This lamp is totally freaking awesome! You rock!

Sare said...

I'm trying to catch up...I laughed OUT LOUD at the fat dog heavy thing!!! You're a riot!!! And those signs by the lamp...LOVE THEM!! Don't hate me if I steal that Idea umkay!? and the lamp...sigh...oh that lamp. I want it. I need it. Oh baby - OH BABY!!! I'm in love with all things french, and my heart skipped a beat when you did this!! Thanks!!!

Rebekah said...

I was so excited when I saw this lamp on your blog, because my husband and I used this same lamp when we moved into our house. There was not nearly enough lighting in our kitchen especially near the stove and work area and we loved the look of this light so we cemented the base to make it heavy enough and spliced the plug too.

There is a picture on my blog below, you will have to scroll through the other pics but it is 4th from the bottom. Not as Frenchy-French as yours but a fun addition. I am enjoying looking through your blog!!

http://day2dayinlife.blogspot.com/2011/11/more-home-pics.html

Allison Shallenberger said...

You got a very creative imagination, Mandi. You lamp post looked very beautiful as it always is out side. It really improved the look of your family room.

#Allison@OutDoorLights.com