Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Two steps ahead.

Yes, I know it's Halloween season. Yes, I realize I'm prepping for Christmas. When I haven't even finished Halloween stuff yet.

But see, I have to start 10 projects, all.at.once. It's part of my mental situation.

And anyway, I see a ree-heally big head start on things as an assurance that things will actually get done, prior to the season. So bite me Britton and Jeff who made fun of me for starting holiday decor in August!

Sorry.

Anywho, a couple years back, I began taking pictures of my homies, winter style, for the mantel.
I confess that I stole this idea from Pottery Barn. You are going to have a heart attack and die from that surprise. (Iago's voice from Aladdin)

And it's that time again for new ones. I take them out in the backyard, sit them down, and bundle them up.

In 90 degree weather.

And they love it.

And then, you know, I can compare their growth over the years.

Like when I first started this tradition:

To now:

sniffle.
Right about, now would be a good time to tell you that I never photoshop teeth.

Or skin, or eyes. I really want to point that out on the teeth, though. Ahem.

Anywho, these pictures need new frames for the mantel. Just because I said so.

Now, back in the day, my parents decorated some of their house with a peppermint theme. And I loooved it as a kid. It added a touch of whimsy. Or it's something about my obsession with candy. Or both. Whatever.

So this year, the peppermint theme will be showing up throughout my house (more on that later).

So I had this totally craptastic idea to combine these unfinished frames you can get at the Hob Lob

With this clipart of peppermint,

to make a really cute pepperminty swirl on the frames.

I don't want to show you what happened. Never mind.

Oh fine. Arrr.

Let's put it this way:

Jeff (glancing over at my frame): "Oh! That turned out. . .
(he gets a better look)

"cute. ? ."

Me: "No. It didn't. It's like some really gaudy, horrible take on an animal print, meeting up with Christmas."

Jeff. "Yeah."


Well crap, man. So I started thinking. And you know what happens when you think.

After discarding 5 ideas I came up with this.

them's are vinyl. Thought that would be a hard shape to cut and weed out, but 'snot.

So, that there vinyl and some glitter spray, and I'm much, much more happy.

And leave it to me to order the wrong size of picture. Ew.

16 comments:

holly said...

Love the 2nd try so much better, the first one felt too Dr. Suessy or Where the heck is Waldo or something. So glad you changed it. Just seeing the pics of your babies growing up makes me want to cry.

chris w said...

Those younger/older pics make me wanna sniffle and they're not even mine. That is so sweet.

I really like the peppermint idea. The second try turned out awesome.

I'm so glad you start in Aug-Oct so I can steal your ideas. ;)

Layne Bushell said...

I'm still chuckling over the last sentence! I thought I was the only one to do such brilliant things? Love it and they're adorable! And they're growing and the teeth...gotta love teeth that get too small for their big mouths or ones that they haven't quite grown into yet!!! Can't wait to see ze mantle all gussied up for Christmas!

Anny said...

What a great idea, I love candy too! I wonder if I can get my roomy on board with a peppermint Christmas :)

Trina said...

Ooh - that frame turned out perfect! Genius idea!

gina3 said...

Oh yeah, the first one didn't do it for me either. The 2nd one is cute. Love those pictures and those teeth!

Emily said...

How cute is that idea! Those picture frames are so cute!

Lori said...

I can't wait either... love your pictures.

Joanna said...

LOVE. Truly.

Leca Unplugged said...

Those pictures rock-- teeth and all. I love how you changed that frame with the smaller mints and the glitter. Christmas-- HERE WE COME!

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

*exhales*

Ok, much happier with the second attempt, because yes, you were so right on the first one.

I'm pretty harsh with myself if something is really not working.

And had I executed those frames the first time, I would have been right there with ya.

But the second ones are ADORABLE.

Krista @ Craving Some Creativity said...

Oh, I LOVE your Christmas mantel! and the idea of taking Christmas pics every year...very cute! Hubby and I definitely need some new pics so this would be fun!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Those elusive peppermint stripes!!!

I wish I were two steps ahead, I am like twenty steps behind. I am still trying to prep (not even start) my decorating for Summer 2010. What the heck. Come November I might have some 4th of July stuff finally ready.

Teri said...

I agree - wayyy better! Could you use the first-tries for bloodshot eyeballs for Halloween? I'm forever trying stuff that doesn't turn out - love to see I'm not the only one. :)

dena4kids said...

I like both them. I think all together you would get the feel of candy and not animal. I can't wait to see it! I LOVE CHRISTMAS!=)

littlebeachbum said...

Mandi, I hope in your "real" life you are a portrait photographer, because you are seriously gifted! Those are amazing pictures of the kiddos!

I agree with you on the frames though...the second round turned out super cute! Love the glitter. :)