Friday, February 12, 2010

Falling Up The Stairs.

It's done. Thee stairs? They're done. Medium, medium-well. Stick a fork in 'em. Are you ready for a before and after? ('cause no DIY project is complete without one)

Before:


After:


Please ignore my totally dirty, work-zone stairs.
Oh Em Gee, people. This was a wing dinger. Now that I'm not sceered of the saw (well still sceered in a healthy way, but not in a pop-a-neck-vein, squeeze-my-eyes-shut kind of way), I feel like the world is my oyster. Er something.

Um, and then I tried to cut teensy weensy trim.
The trim inside the boxes?

Um, let's just say I took them out to thee ole saw, did one cut, and sent the other (6 foot long) piece flying across the garage and into the wall.

And then, I was sceered. All I wanted was for someone to hold me, and tell me that everything was going to be okay. I begged for mercy from the hubs to do those teensy weensy pieces.


Now, lemme 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
(Helloooo! Wavin' to ya)

These boxes are not hard. I love them. These boxes up the stairs? Don't do them.

DON'T DO THEM UP THE STAIRS.
Let me point out why:

You know what? Let me put it this way. If you like unneccessary trips to the dentist or the DMV, do these boxes up the stairs. If you like occasionally digging out an in-grown toe nail, do these up the stairs. If you enjoy accidently hitting your head on the way into the car (other people do do that, right?), do these up the stairs. If you enjoy plucking your nose hairs or picking a zit that's just barely inside your nostril (my eyes are watering), do these up the stairs.

Now, my pants would totally be on fire (in a liar sort of way this time) and hanging on a telephone wire if I were to say I did this completely, 100% all on my own. I almost did. Almost. Those angles? I didn't have the foggiest how to calculate.


But I'm done. It's, like, totally my new hangout.

It's sooo comfy. And work-zone dirty.

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

14 comments:

Chablis said...

It was so worth the effort and time! It looks beautiful, really adds a LOT!
Those angles on the stairs would not be in my minds capacity. I get a headache just thinkin' about em'.

Rachel said...

I love your trim. Ever since I saw the beginnings of the project, I have been "gently" bugging Britton to do it in our living room. I love the brown walls, but it feels so dark in here and since I spend most of my time in here, it would be nice to brighten in up.

Dara said...

Looks Wonderful! Perhaps if your touches were in it before, I might not have wanted to move out of that house so badly! LOL
And by the way...LOVE LOVE LOVE the "L" Block you did for Shireen!!!

Emily said...

Those look awesome, seriously you and your creativity amaze me everytime I look at your blog. I love it!
I understand about the angles, my head would have expoded. Me and Phillip put up a shelf and it needed to turn a corner...let me tell you a 1 hour project turned into all day, I was lucky I have Phillip, I would have never been able to do it.

Trina said...

I read this post while waiting on hold with customer service and steaming mad about the hoops jumped through to get there, and you made me laugh, which was very lucky for Habib when he finally took my call.

Also, it looks fantastic!

chris w said...

Looks SO good! You are the queen. Even if you needed a hug in the middle.

design_aholic said...

They look great! I wish I had stairs to add molding too :)

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

What a difference!!! Great job on the molding. Love it!

Teri said...

Oh my gosh, you're hysterical! LOL! And you have gorgeous stairs, to boot! :)

christine grove said...

Beautiful job AND you crack me up! Want to do this up my stairs but so hate hitting my head on my way into a stinkin car. Hate it! So not sure if I could do the boxes...

dena4kids said...

Love the boxes! I knew you had it in ya.I said to myself,"Self if any one can figure all that there geometry and crap it is Mandi."=)
Good Job!

mishebe said...

Awesome Job.! I love it and wish i had it going down my stairs..

Shannon said...

The stairs look beautiful! I love it! Thanks for sharing this. Another reminder that I need to do my stairs. :-)

Infarrantly Creative said...

Holy heck they look amazing. And they are done! And gorgeous! And did I mention they are done and gorgeous! And done! YAHOOOO for a completed rock on project