Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ode to Summer, Part 328,091.

Every summer should have its own theme song. 


This one's ours.


It speaks to me.  It says: "Happy.  Summery.  Really, really lazy.  You should sleep in.  And eat that 3rd donut.  Now scratch your butt."

That's what it says.



So, let me tell you a little bit about our summer, if ya don't mind.  'Cause we've got a list of crap.  And we mean business.

First things first,
I'm making my boys take "Cooking Class!".  So how's it going?



It's mildly catastrophic.   I do my best to keep calm, I grit my teeth, and I have a wipe rag ready.  Anywho, I like to regale my boys with stories of kids who went off to college or a mission and could barely make themselves a sandwich.  And "that's why we're cooking ramen today, kids."

We started at breakfast, and we're working our way up to dessert.  It's a wonderful practice in patience.  Try it.

There is nothing to say about this, except that it was caramel/hot fudge/ toasted almond ice cream delicious. 


Come with us next time, won't you?

Kids haven't gotten to bed before 10 p.m., in like, eons.  10 p.m. is like 1:00 a.m. for adults in our house.



Have we discussed Jeffro's pancake eating habits?  He likes a stack.  A very manly stack.
It's an art, how he does it.  Lifts up each and every flapjack, swirls on the maple, stacks another. . .


he's an arteeste.



Oh yeah--- and then there was that time we went to the drive in movie. Heh, heh--
pull out your car's seat.  Strap yourself in.  Make yourself at home.

Because you are gonna finally pull outta this place at 2:00 a.m., all your kids are gonna be wailing from exhaustion, and you just overdosed on licorice, reeses pieces, and cheesepuffs.



"But it tasted so good going down. . ."

Good grief-- am I saying we're throwing caution to the wind this summer?

Yes.  No.  Maybe.



If I said these s'mores were after the ice cream cones, but before the cupcakes, would you hold it against me?

I kidd.  There were no cupcakes.  In that 6 hour period. . .

Sigh.  If you don't love summer, perhaps it's 'cause you love winter.  And if that's the case, help a girl out and let me in on the secret.  I need it.



And p.s., I told the kids they didn't have to go back to school-- we could continue these shenanigans as long as we wanted. I was informed, that while they do like me 'n all, they like school, too.
Ouch. Zing.
I'm gonna walk that one off.

9 comments:

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Looks like you are having a wonderful summer! I'm trying to enjoy it myself, but it seems to be going so darn fast! Enjoy it while it lasts!

SueAnn Lommler said...

It really is a shame that you all are not enjoying this summer!!
I mean, really!!!
Ha!
Great pics
Hugs
SueAnn

Suesan said...

Oh, to be able to enjoy a lazy summer. I would give just about anything for that. I will have to live vicariously through you this summer. Thanks for the mini-vacay. I will now return to my previously scheduled Summer of Stress.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

I want to come for some summer fun! Your kids are so lucky, I feel like mine will be stuck watching softball or swimming all summer since both their parents are coaches. I know, I'll send them to Mandi Camp for 2 1/2 months. Bril.

Joanna said...

I so admire what a good, loving mama you are. I don't enjoy the heat of summer, but I don't enjoy the cold of winter...I'm all about the fall. Fall is MAGIC for me.

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

My kiddos went back yesterday. we had 3 weeks of summer :(

Rebecca D said...

It does look like you are having a blast and those pancakes look amazing. I too am having a good summer, but can we still be friends if I say I am looking forward to fall? Afterall I do live it New England... It's pretty amazing here!

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

Looks like you are having such a great summer! Hands down you are the funnest mom on earth. Lucky kids!

Teri said...

Best. Mom. Ever.