Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Medals Podium.

Whoo. . . one round down. . . last round to go.

Dudes, I've made it to the final three. And while I fully expect to get the bronze, I made it. And this was my favorite project, sniffle. I simply must tell you about it.

It's a present for my sissy, actually.

I love birth announcements-- and I think they should be big and used as wall art in a nursery. I really do. (By the by, I highly recommend this lovely lady's adorable work for all your announcement needs.)

So, I took the liberty of having my niece's birth announcement printed as a 20x30 at Costco ($10, just so ya know).

And I got out my scraps.

Everything I used to make the box was leftovers. The backing? A giant piece of plywood left over from this:

It was the perfect size. What can I say? I'm practical shmactical.

The frame of "The Box" is 1x4's ran through the shaper.

And now I would like to tell you how much I would like to show you "The Box" all put together. Prior to it's 500 billionth coat of paint.

And I would also like to swear because my computer's video card has crapped out on me. Therefore, I'm using the hub's computer which has no such picture.

But here it is painted.

And while slopping the paint around on the marble seemed like a good idea, at the time, it was a pain in the arse to clean up after. So screw you, self, one week ago.

I want you to know something.

Cutting my beadboard pieces on "Jaws" marks thee first time I used it allbymyself. I mean, no hubby standing behind me going, "It's okay. You got it. Go ahead." with a little pat on the buns. Nothing. Just me and Jaws. We might be friends now, me and Jaws. Go me.

And here we are:

slots for all those little baby hospital things. .. sigh. Since I live nowhere near my sister, I just threw in Kenna's baby stuff for the picture. . .and sobbed over her little bracelets that no longer fit her fat wrists. And yes, my daughter did/does have very large feet. Thanks for noticing.

One last thing:
it might be hard to tell, but this thing is GINORMOUS. I mean it's massive. It's nearly four.feet.long.
If I do these again? Maybe not so big. Know what I'm sayin'?

Visit thecsiproject.com

31 comments:

Emily {WhipperBerry} said...

I LOVE this! I think it totally deserved to win with flying colors (and I'm not just saying that because I voted for it)! I think the idea is supremely clever. Thanks for sharing, and good luck next round!

Tam @ Sew Dang Cute said...

Beautiful! You are very deserving to be in this final three. Congratulations and I can't wait to see what you have in store for us in Round 4!!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures/Treasured Moments said...

I love it even more and I didn't think that was possible. I admire all you do and that you have a Jaws and aren't afraid to use it. I hope you win the whole thing. I am itching to know what your final project will be. Can't wait!

gina3 said...

Congratulations!!!! Told ya so! I knew being the first one up was foreshadowing. Can't wait to see what project you're going to win with.
Glad you and Jaws are getting closer.

Kristi said...

I LOVE this and can't wait to make a version of this for our family. I have my baby shoes as well as my husbands and we plan on making it as big, but with 4 different spaces to put our pics with shoes, then our 2 boys pics and shoes. Can't wait to make this happen. I'll have to send you a pic, since you are the inspiration! :)

living-blessed-life.blogspot.com

FastForwardingThroughLife said...

I only voted a million times...j/k...err.not. So is MDF board ready (since you and Jaws are on first name basis)?

Teri said...

Your sister's kids! No wonder I couldn't identify your work, Sneaky McGee! Here I thought I was so clever being all "I'd recognize Mandi's kids no sweat." It's gorgeous, by the way. And the size makes it a statement piece! :)

Layne Bushell said...

Congrats! I knew you could do it! I can't wait to see the final round! It'll be beyond craptacular for sure!

Heather@The Black's Best said...

This is a beautiful idea and a great way to showcase all of those fun baby items that you want to keep but don't know quite where to put!

WhettenWild said...

I LOVE how it turned out! Can't wait to have that hangin' on my wall!

Julie said...

I think it is fantastic and I love that it is huge.

I have a paint-on-the-counters solution for you . . . go to rockler.com (a woodworking shop online) and do a search for bench cookies. They're FABULOUS and would have saved your counter tops from the paint. You need them, I've been reading your blog quietly for a little while now and I can already tell they're going to end up your best friends.

slommler said...

I think big is better for sure! And I love this...it is fabulous!!Feet...schmeet...looks like adorable baby feet to me!!!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Gorgeous! And it serves to remind me that I'm really missing out with not having a sister.

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

That is so darling. What a great keepsake.
Love it.
Brooke

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

I knew it! I knew it!

I'm getting cocky with knowing which one is you.

I should shut up.

I'm gonna jinx it.

Emily said...

I love this project! It is beautiful! You are just amazing, you know that right??

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Get it girl! I am totally vicariously living my crafting dream through you, so if you end up winning, it will feel like I won. Without having to do any of the work of course.

And if you do win (what the heck, I want you to do it even if you don't win), can I claim you first for doing a guest post on my blog? I imagine my blog being your Oscar's stage after you've won best actress for you to talk about your inspiration. Without millions of viewers though, only a couple hundred.

Then, we will have a virtual post-post party, like one of the post-oscars parties, but much more glamorous.

alimoll said...

CONGRATS! I love this project! You are very, very talented!!!! Love it! Good Luck next round! I think your gonna rock it and WIN! :)

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

i just said this comment on a certain rhino head...but it deserves to be said again

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy said...

TOTALLY knew it was you and voted for you! LOVE it. Want to do a few for me?

Dede said...

I knew you were going into the finals when I saw this project...it's absolutely gorgeous, sweet, warm fuzzy goodness. LOVE IT

Libby said...

the baby name stumped me but the molding didn't..."Jaws" sure does some nice stuff when guided by a talented lady.

I'll put this on my list of stuff to do when I finally get either a garage or a workshop...oh wait, have the workshop now I have no excuse...

Look forward to your next project...your blerbs are getting to be "not so Mandi-ish" so I have to figure out from the project which is yours.

Good luck!

dena4kids said...

I love this project! It is so cute!=)

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

I say this all the time and I mean it, so I will say it again: Mandi girl, you are AMAZING!! this is so beautiful and thoughtful and I could cry looking at Kenna's cute stuff in there. Oh my word and the funny cute things you say about your other love (power tools) crack me up. Still in awe of you! hugs, cathy

*Dream Weaver* said...

this project is really nice. i think it is so inspiring and a good idea for a keepsake! :)

N @ Cheap Like a Birdie said...

First, I love this and all out of scraps? Amazing! However what keeps going over and over in my head is "Did she paint on her granite?!?!?!" : )


Check Out- Cheap Like A Birdie Blog

Emily Kate said...

LOVE this! And where did you get that gorgeous dress? (Christening dress?)

Nancy said...

The most beautiful display I've ever seen! Thank you for sharing it! <3

Carissa said...

I love this. What a great idea

J Mama said...

love it!!