Thursday, July 8, 2010

It needed a little sumfin' sumfin'.

My boudoir-- I like it, but--

it's just lacking in general. It's a little blasé. So after careful consideration ("careful", meaning, "oh that sounds good I'm gonna do that! Now now now!"), I've decided that it will get a mini makeover over the course of a month or so.

And when I say "mini", I mean like total rearranging, a new bed, AND molding.

"Mini."

First things first-- I had a hankerin' to put up somethin' on this nekkid wall:

Now, this here:

is in my entryway, and it's my favorite piece of wall art in the house. It sets ze mood. And one random day a random thought came into my random noggin, and I thought to myself,

"Self, you should make a personalized piece of wall art inspired by that one there."

Project! (squeal)

Raided the daddy-o's place and came up with a good old piece of particle board. Yes, I said particle board. Used for shelving. Hey, it'll work grrrreat. White coat of paint, and off I went.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that my room looks like this (everywhere) every time I start stenciling anything. And, that after feeling like an idiot for trying this out, I want you to know that freezer paper does in fact stick to wood too when ironed down. Just so you know. It's all I use now.


A not-so-light sanding and a little stain added, and voila.


If you know where this quote came from, and you are now singing this song (this is a snippet of my favoritest song evah), we are soo meant to be BFF.

And let's go to lunch, new BFF, forevah.

I guess that was kind of redundant.

Anywho, this needs a frame, of course. Of course!
I raided my stash 'o crap.

And came up with 4 strips of plywood.

I know. Plywood. I'd say this kind of frame was. . . eh. . . 80% laziness and 20% cheapness. Give or take.

Spray painted the plywood black, cut it on 45's, wood glue'd it down and put some nails from the nail gun in there and we are DONE.

There we are. One of a kind and completely free. Now I'm singing my song again. And possibly every time I head towards my bathroom.

Linked to The Shabby Nest.

17 comments:

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

This is off the chain. So (I've never done this before) you use a magic stencil machine, print it out on freezer paper, take out the letters, and use the remaining to stick on the wood and fill in with paint? Then sand down to distressed perfection?

gina3 said...

LOVE this!!! Love the look, the lyrics, everything. We had a little 45 of "our song" framed hanging in our room for awhile. (An old REO classic that's a little corny now.)

Emily said...

I love it, I looks amazing. I love the song too!! Ü

Dara said...

I love it! I might happen to stop in and take it!

littlebeachbum said...

Okay, wow....
A. you are forcing me to realize that I need to make friends - and STAT - with someone who has a raging supply of extraneous plywood, frames and pieces of molding. And,
B. I still don't understand how that stencil thing works! It looks like the most amazing thing ever...and yet I still just don't get it. Am I abnormally slow, or something? :(

WhettenWild said...

I forgot to go look at that while I was over there. I love it!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

So, so cute! I love the saying and think I should know where it comes from...off to google it or I won't stop thinking about it!
Great job!

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

OOOoohhh....

Can I have one of those lovely pieces of wall art? Say 12 X 60?

I have this big naked space over the bed now...

And I don't know where it's from. Which is now driving me TOTALLY bats because I think it means I lose my position as your Grease BFF.

Which will make me weep.

stef said...

Oh, I LOVE it! It adds such great personality to the space!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Okay, are you telling me you print the words in different fonts then sit and cut them out for hours and use them as stencils? I want one of those signs sooo bad but cutting them out looks way to tedious for my patience. Love the one in your entry it is so cool. where did you get that? It's just like you to say "Oh I will just make one of those, no problem" You amaze me.
Brooke

dena4kids said...

LOVE IT! The song and the art!=) Nice job!

Michael, Mindy, and Dane said...

I just stumbled across your blog today, and not only do I love the stuff you've made (I will be reading more posts after this comment!), but you are freaking hilarious! Seriously. I've laughed at every post. I think. Anyway, thanks for blogging!

Leca said...

WoW! You've got some skillz with the freezer paint. I love it!

chris w said...

So stinking cute!
Can we still be BFF's if you introduced me to that lovely band? Yes? Good. :)

Connie said...

I am so impressed with your work of art. I am going to bookmark this and will have to give it a try.

Ellie said...

LOVE IT!!! Very creative and talented and downright pur-tay!

Teri said...

Gorgeous and SO VERY sweet. Love it, Mandi!