Monday, February 8, 2010

One Thing Leads To Another.

These, are my stairs.
Helloooo, stairs!

They're good for driving cars down. And tossing blocks down. And sliding down 'em, too. And throwing any heavy object that will ding the wall at the bottom, too. (Arr. I'm not a pirate, but ARRRR.)

Oh, and they also help us get upstairs and downstairs.
So, when I did this project, you know? This project?

Last year,
(What? That seriously was like 3 days ago? Seriously? What the?)
the wheels just started spinning.

I heard voices in my head. They were saying
"That was fun. . . you should do more of that. . . do the stair well. .. if you build it, they will come. . . "

And since my pants are generally on fire, I went to Lowe's the very next day. The.very.next.day, people. That's how I roll. And I said to myself: "self, you should do more moulding, but I'm thinking more along the lines of boxes."

Like this. Now ignore the feathered pen that was at your wedding by the sign-in book.

(found here)
Those boxes. . . They're so dreamy. They're in the babe's room. Sigh. They're just, so. . .Je ne sais quoi, ya know? (That's all I remember from 2 years of French in junior high, 2 years in high school, and every.single.semester in college. Isn't that pathetic?)

So I get to meet back up with my BFF who happens to live in the garage. Let's call him Gunner. We are like this.

This project is meant to be a ME only project. Seriously. I want to do this all.by.myself. These power tools are empowering me, man! Testosterone is flowing. That's probably not a good thing.
Borrowed the miter saw. Had a lesson this morning.

Safety first, people! I got the lecture from the men in my life (the hubs, and daddy-o).

Um, I'm pretty sure I have a healthy respect for this kind of powertool. I'm sceered.
Very sceered.

My practice run. Don't pop a neck vein there. Geez. And that might just be my worst picture.ever.

Eye safety, people!
And as I always do, I start out-- I'm going along, (marking up the wall-- measuring, figuring, etc) and then I go "WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING? THIS SUCKS!"
You'd think I'd learn after all this time, man. But finish it I will. By darned, I will!!
(here's my first box)

I tole ya the wall was dinged up. Freakin' kids.

Wish me luck, 'cause I'm gonna need it.

8 comments:

Jessie said...

I think you have officially won the contest of "the longest fingernails to ever use a powertool". It's lookin' good!

Kim said...

oooooooooooo I can't wait to see how this one ends!!! we have a split foyer that's looking pretty sad & I was thinking simple wainscotting but now ... now.. I am thinking more more more :) grrrrrrrrrreat .... thanks! (I think) no seriously. Thank YOU! :)

Emily said...

This is going to look awesome!

WhettenWild said...

Nice safety glasses. Loaners from Daddy-O? Seriously, I can hear your lecture from Dad in my head. It's making me laugh so hard! Dad's the best.

Tiffany said...

That looks great Mandi, you are so brave, I can't even be in the room when Gary uses his saw! :)

CINNIBONBON said...

Hot Damn...love your wit and sense of humor!! BTW..love what your doing too.

dena4kids said...

Love the box!=) I can't wait to see the whole stairway!

Chablis said...

I always regret getting started 1/2 way into my projects too! But that is gonna look gorg!