Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Semi-Decade Beverage Tasting Event.

There's got to be a word for "decade" like "annual" is to "year", but darned if I know what it is.

Anywho, I hosted our 2nd ever bevi-tasting event, and it was highly entertaining. The players:

A round of diet cola's.


And you can't do a taste test without these two, can you?


And in between cola tastings, we did a few taste tests of cereal.

'Cause you have to cleanse your palate. Try working in "cleanse your palate" into a conversation today and see if you don't feel like a nerd.

Not pictured: Apple Jacks vs. Malt-o-Meal's Apple Zings, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch vs Malt-o-Meal's Crunch (whatever that name may be called- I ain't goin' downstairs to check).

We tried to keep this real scientific. I covered the bottles.

And we took off the lids.

Observation: warm cola is nasty. I don't care if it's Pepsi, Coke, or neither. Sorry that I forgot to refrigerate them.

My lovely sister's in laws put aside their hatred of cola to taste test.


Wanna know the outcome? 5 of us preferred #2, 2 of us preferred #1, and 0 of us preferred #3.

#2 is Sam's Choice Cola.
#1 is Pepsi.
#3 is Coke.

Interesting tidbit: Sam's choice is made by the Coca Cola company. It definitely is a different recipe than Coke. Believe me. Tastes way better (in this family's opinion).

Johnny didn't want to be left out.

He definitely didn't care that it wasn't cold.

All the cereal taste tests proved that their's little to no difference between cereals, and that we were split evenly on our small preferences. Although I do think most of us agreed that Cheerios (no matter what brand) resemble cardboard.

Taking a moment for some Dad torture.

Why do family get-togethers always include Dad torture?

Have I mentioned I think both my bro's are heelarious?

Yep. Heelarious.


At the first bevi-tasting event, we tried caffeinated vs. non-caffeinated to see if there's a flavor diff.

It was dead even on guesses. I think it's fair to say there's no difference in flavor whatsoever.

Anywho, the Coke vs. Pepsi test.

5 to 7 in favor of Pepsi. And the interesting thing was, most of us thought we were drinking the opposite of what we were really partaking. What does this mean?

I have no idea. All's I know is it was fun. Perhaps next time we'll do The Dew.

6 comments:

Alissa said...

there's a fascinating book called "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell about first impressions. It explains why Pepsi almost always does better in blind taste tests. Its not boring, I promise.

Jessie said...

What a fun gathering idea! I may have to copy!

I would FOR SURE be able to tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi...and I think you know which one I would pick. I think Dr. Pepper/Mr. Pibb would be interesting.

Oh, and for sure do breastmilk (pumped, of course) vs. formula next round.

Karen- The Graphics Fairy said...

What a fun family activity!! I don't think I've ever bought the Sam's choice brand, I guess I'll pick some up next week and give it a try.

dena4kids said...

Looks like good times! I don't really like any of them. ( I know I'm weird.) BUT..have you tried the Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash? YUMMY! Definitly my fav!

WhettenWild said...

I'm not surprised that most of you picked Sam's Choice. It really does taste better in my opinion!

Mana said...

This is super late but the word is decennial. And now I'm wondering why I know that