Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Stuff I Feel Like Talking About.

Okay. First of all,
 
 
this just happened. Every single kid, in school, same schedule, all day. It's too soon to even talk about all the mixed, up and down neurotic emotions I'm feeling right now.
 
It's good, and yet it's sad. But it's so, so good. And yet. . . melancholy.
 
ANYWAY.
 
Check out this totally awesome apron I got for working out in thee ole gay-rage:
 
 
 
I love this old canvas-y leather-y thing to keep the sawdust off my person. Okay this shot isn't working for me, here. New shot.
 


 
She's armless!  Creepy. I like this apron too too much to ever like, stain or paint in it. Keep off the sawdust? Sure. My dad wears a labcoat whilst working out in thee ole shop. I should get one of those, too.
 
Okay, so-- here's the thing:
 
This corbel desk has been a strange obession of mine for years.
 
 
A blogging friend's handy dad built this (website here) and I loved it then and I STILL LOVE IT AND CAN'T GET OVER IT. He built this 3 years ago. Can't believe it's been that long, but a few months ago, I just like, had to have this desk for an entryway desk.  It's a knockoff of Restoration Hardware's fabulous desk:
 
 
Say you love it! I love it! I don't have the $1200 it takes to buy this but I do have a jigsaw and a lot of love to give.
 
The only reason I didn't get all up on this three years ago was because I thought it was too hard. Well I thought it through and decided to still go for it because I'm not right in the head.
 
Lotsa jigsawing going on here, people. This is 2x12x12's, and there's 8 separate pieces to jigsaw.
 
Hard to cut but definitely fun to take lots of pictures from weird angles.
 

 
 
(that website I linked to up there has PDF files you can print out for the same pattern. I altered mine just slightly. Kind of for a different look/laziness.)
 
Don't you people be judgin my garage- I got all up on that after I snapped this shot okay.
 
 
This was a lot of hours. And a crap-ton of sawdust. But I'm excited. Already stained 'em a dark color, and I'm going to attempt the glass on top. . .keep your fingers crossed. . . squeezing my eyes shut hoping. . .

3 comments:

Jacquelyn Cory said...

Mandi,

This would make an awesome bedroom vanity with mirror and so forth... Just saying. :}

Maureen

Libby said...

Wow! Looks awesome. You're my inspiration Mandy.

My hubs bought us (yes, both of us) a couple of lathes (first one too small to make the stuff we started dreaming of making so had to get one that allowed us empty-nesters to dream big) and me a Dremel 4200...so excited that this is my first week without a huge project (other than laundry & dishes waiting because of the other two big projects) so I'm going to carve me a stone. Next tool that is still on my 25yr. old want list to get is a scroll saw.

My "Daddy-O" lent me a hand plane...going to hit the firewood pile to make some lathe blanks.

Hippymom83 said...

Not my style personally, but still very cool! It looks classy and expensive! [Exactly why it's not my style! LOL I'm too broke for stuff that looks this classy.] You did a great job with the jigsaw! Can't wait to see the finished product! :)